Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging only is that an option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't know whether it would be a big deal.

Tesla will nerf it if they find problems and you don't know how much they'd nerf, since you don't know what the problems would be.

But if the OP is willing to accept the chance that it'll become a bit slower, then they can go ahead. Or lease it and dump it.

But also, in the meantime, the OP could
- try looking for a job elsewhere where property prices are a bit more sane.
- try looking for another place with charging.

I love this car. Best thing I've ever bought, but I would not move or change careers over it.
I echo the leasing suggestion. Part of me wishes I had leased because I firmly believe I will want a new one or the Y in 3 years.
You will be fine strictly supercharging. Totally fine.

On that note, in my situation would you say its worth for me to get CHADEMO adapter?.
If you plan to visit Redwood City and/or Milpitas, free charging from Home Page - DRIVEtheARC might help. CHAdeMO Charging the Model 3 said he finally broke even on his CHAdeMO adapter.

For the time being, COVID-19 update: 100% discount PromoTicket services - DRIVEtheARC is going on. Their app and web site are pretty hokey. I actually used it to charge my Bolt (via SAE Combo) for free the other night, which is another story.

That said, re: pricing, yeah, CHAdeMO charging for the most part isn't very cheap. If you join Pass+ ($4/mo) of Pricing and membership for EV charging | Electrify America, you can get 18 cents/minute for 1 to 75 kW (the CHAdeMO adapter can't go higher than 50 kW). However, since EA is a subsidiary of VW, they are stacking the deck in favor of VW AG cars (e.g. VW, Audi, Porsche, etc.) Every single location I've heard of usually has many SAE Combo but only a single CHAdeMO plug. :(

CHAdeMO is going to be much much faster than level 2 charging speeds but much slower than Supercharging speeds.

Reactions: toolman335
Just for those who think the model 3 or Y will not throttle. I remember when this issue first appeared in thr 90Kwh pack, everyone was up and arms and complained. Tesla said, at the time, this was normal and recommended 100kwh pack if you don't want this issues. Well at the time, without enough time and data, the 100kwh indeed did not throttled like the 90kwh did. This was mainly due to better cell tolerance and newer design. However currently you can read about a few high supercharging cycles 100kwh pack seeing throttling same as the 90kwh. So I'm pretty certain the model 3 or Y pack will exhibit similar in behavior sometime in the future. We just we don't have enough data yet. Until the million miles pack comes out, I doubt this issue is solved.

The good news is these pack are replaceable and hopefully by that time, the million miles pack are crazy expensive and we current owner can swap easily and at a low cost.
I've never SC'ed my car...don't plan to...so it's stuck in Epsilon 3... My ignorance prevents me from taking unnecessary risks. I'll wait and see what happens to those 2017 models then 2018, and so forth....

I've never SC'ed my car...don't plan to...so it's stuck in Epsilon 3... My ignorance prevents me from taking unnecessary risks. I'll wait and see what happens to those 2017 models then 2018, and so forth....

These cars are great for road trips. My Model 3 has been Supercharged over 1,500 times in nearly 110,000 miles. It charges faster today than when it was new (due to charging curve updates). Maybe it’ll start to slow down at some point, but so far it is a great road warrior.

Don’t limit your activities with your vehicle because of some fear of reduced charging speed at some point in the future.

I do not Supercharge exclusively but I do take a lot of road trips. Home charging is done at 40 amps at 240 volts but only accounts for about a third of my total charging.

Hey Everyone,

Thank you for your replys. As some of you mentioned it would be great to install it and I could pursue it but the main issue here is that the complex has more units then parking spots as it was build in the 70s so while there is an option for the parking spots I have been on waiting list for 2 years and I am nowhere close to the top. Also, unfortunately in Bay Area making any improvements on your dime to the property is asking for one of the 2 things, getting your rent doubled or getting evicted (or having to go through a ton of headache) as once they get rid of you then can raise the rent and sell it to someone else (wont take them long either). Moving somewhere else is also not an option for me unfortunately as I take care of my sick mother who needs to go to Stanford hospital on almost weekly basis for chemo and labs and procedures.

The main thing I wanted to really know if its feasible to use Superchargers only without getting penalized for it. I would obviously try charging everywhere I could even if its the slow charging spots and get a fried or 2 to drive the car and charge it once a week or something if I am on a trip (although with everything going on I dont think i have to worry about this for awhile). On that note, in my situation would you say its worth for me to get CHADEMO adapter? I was thinking of getting 14-30 and 14-50 plugs just in case but not sure about chademo

Again, thank you to everyone who shared their experiences and replied to the thread.
I think it'll be ok to use Superchargers only if that's your only option. Just be aware that your battery MIGHT degrade faster and/or when this happens, the car will not accept the same charge speed compared to a non-degraded battery.

However super chargers are not cheap and you will be paying just as much or more than gas using a Supercharger full time.

Reactions: Big Earl
I think it'll be ok to use Superchargers only if that's your only option. Just be aware that your battery MIGHT degrade faster and/or when this happens, the car will not accept the same charge speed compared to a non-degraded battery.

However super chargers are not cheap and you will be paying just as much or more than gas using a Supercharger full time.

Supercharging is around 30 cents per kwh I think.

which gets you around 4 miles of range.

Average price of gasoline right now is $3.04.

You'd need to get north of 40 miles per gallon for gasoline to be equivalent cost.

Average US vehicle is around 25 mpg.

• Informative
Reactions: Gasaraki
I've been having to supercharge every 3-4 days to keep the car topped off for the past 5 months while I wait for my new home to be constructed. Only thing I've noticed while doing this is the supercharger will set the limit to 80% because of high speed charging. TeslaFi says my battery has degraded about 6.87% from start. Tesla says the battery is fine. I don't worry about it anymore and drive the car as intended. 2019 LR AWD.

I've been having to supercharge every 3-4 days to keep the car topped off for the past 5 months while I wait for my new home to be constructed. Only thing I've noticed while doing this is the supercharger will set the limit to 80% because of high speed charging. TeslaFi says my battery has degraded about 6.87% from start. Tesla says the battery is fine. I don't worry about it anymore and drive the car as intended. 2019 LR AWD.
The station moved the limit meter down to 80% due to high USAGE at the station, not the battery. You can move the limiter back up past 80% if you need to.

This is so sad - it's been more or less this way for a while though we had great gains there for a while before SUVs & trucks became the commuter/ family car
Pick-ups, crossovers and SUVs.
But after the big 3 pick-ups the top selling non-pickups are the RAV4, CR-V and Rogue, all small crossovers, then Camry and Corolla.
But it's notable that Tacoma, which used to be below 10k per month is at 22k per month, and the Explorer and Highlander are 10th and 11th.
Civic is now 14th below 20k/month and Accord 21st below 16k per month.

There's still some obvious "easy"electrification candidates near the top of the list, and of course electric pick-ups will be coming soon so the market will have near complete EV coverage.

2021Q1:
2021 US Vehicle Sales Figures By Model
modelNameQ1 2021Q1 2020
Ford F-Series203,797186,561
Ram Pickup148,837128,806
Chevrolet Silverado126,591143,698
Toyota RAV4114,25597,631
Honda CR-V93,76671,186
Nissan Rogue86,71959,717
Toyota Camry78,15177,188
Toyota Corolla72,52069,214
Toyota Tacoma66,44953,636