Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging & loud noises/vibrations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm sitting here supercharging, and about 20 minutes into the session I started to hear some pretty loud churning type noises and I could have sworn I felt some electricity going through my body! lol

Maybe I'm going crazy, but the entire car starting slightly vibrating, including the steering wheel, and I felt a little funny/tingly.

Is it generally safe to sit inside the car while supercharging??? :confused:

No. Tesla has been hiding this issue for years. People are getting killed in their cars and it's getting swept under the carpet! Just like the supercharging in the rain issue.

Yeah, yeah :p I realize it sounds stupid, and I know there's no way to really get electricuted, but the whole car vibrating and churning is a little unnerving with that many volts flowing into the car...

Yeah, yeah :p I realize it sounds stupid, and I know there's no way to really get electricuted, but the whole car vibrating and churning is a little unnerving with that many volts flowing into the car...

Depending on how hard you were driving, temperature and rate of charge, it could be as simple as the cooling system spinning up to remove the heat from the charing session. Bangs are also pretty common as the metal heats.

• Informative
Reactions: Siciliano
My car sounds like it's shooting at people when I supercharge it. Seriously, it bangs so loud that people turn and look at me. I just smile and wave sheepishly.

Model 3 is known for being a noisy eater. Some guys have had Tesla replace some pressure regulating valves, with various levels of success in quieting them down.

My particular car is much louder than any other Model 3 I've supercharged next to. Several guys have politely suggested that I have my car looked at, but the car works fine... She just burps like a sailor.

My car sounds like it's shooting at people when I supercharge it. Seriously, it bangs so loud that people turn and look at me. I just smile and wave sheepishly.

Model 3 is known for being a noisy eater. Some guys have had Tesla replace some pressure regulating valves, with various levels of success in quieting them down.

My particular car is much louder than any other Model 3 I've supercharged next to. Several guys have politely suggested that I have my car looked at, but the car works fine... She just burps like a sailor.

lol!! Noisy eater, I love that. I think I have one similar to yours. There are moments when it's pretty quiet, but then intervals of the entire car vibrating and a fairly loud sound like a rail gun is slowly charging up to fire a massive round. Definitely unnerving when sitting inside the car!

No the Model S is noisier. Every time there's a Model S in the the same SC, I hear the fan at max while my M3 is just quiet.

I had the same loud pops when supercharging in my 6/18 LR RWD. I mentioned that I get these sounds during supercharging and referenced the service bulletin to replace the battery breathers.

They replaced them under warranty and haven’t had the issue at all since then. Might be a good place to start.