Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple mechanics/Tesla SC visits, steering wheel vibration not fixed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the best explanation I can give:

- Steering wheel vibration is noticeable at any speed over 20km/h. At some points I can feel the entire car vibrating, especially at 80km+. It gets to the point that my hands feel tingly and almost numb.

Heres the history of when my issues started:

Old tires/spacer issue.
Bought a 2021 LR off someone about 3 months ago. Drove great, no issues, decent thread on tires etc. Bought some parts for the car including spacers (25mm back and front). After the install it turns out that mechanic did not align the car, and it caused thos tires to cup and feather.

New tires (June 14th)
continental extreme contact dws06+

Bought a new set of tires after these got ruined, had the car alignment done, these tires were amazing and felt smooth, nothing like my current issues. 0 issues for close to 14 days.

Vibration started on a road trip through BC without cause. I took it to a mechanic there and they removed the spacers per my request because I figured it might be the root cause.

After 24hr took it to another mechanic and they diagnosed the vibrations to be due to cupping and feathering again!

I called up Kal tire and ordered a new pair (Michelin pilot sport S4) about 4 days ago. They installed them, alignment was done due to it being out again, and balance.

After a couple hours of driving a vibration was coming from the steering wheel. My car was also drifting out of lanes on the highway.

I took it back, they said the balance was off by 0.75 ish on 3 of them then balanced them again.

Same issue next day, took it to another mechanic, they re-balanced them and said it was off by 0.75-1.0

Again.. took it on the highway, no real difference.

Took it to a tesla SC today, they said the alignment wasn't done properly, and that someone counterbalanced the wheels. They fixed that, realigned all 4, then said it was good to go.

Took it for a drive, better, but not fixed, it's still vibrating to the point I have to loosen my grip, turn autopilot on etc. Still slightly drifts.

Two of their mechanics said it's perfect and he dont feel anything.

So where I'm at now is thinking something far worse is wrong, yes I have driven the car when it had 0 issues and loved it, yes there is something wrong that I know for a fact was not there before.

I'm stumped, I have another appointment set up at Kal tire to see if the tires may be the issue but that's in a week.

I've spent so much trying to fix this, any advice is appreciated.

Reactions: Ewiz
Sounds like wheel bearings or worn suspension bushings/joints is the real cause and not strictly wheel balance/wheel roundness. You've already tried 2 sets of tires and many shops, you'd think someone would have caught a out of round wheel by now.

Went into service mode to calibrate the offset and...

20230809_222205.jpg

20230809_221920.jpg

Probably related to this..

- Steering wheel vibration is noticeable at any speed over 20km/h. At some points I can feel the entire car vibrating, especially at 80km+. It gets to the point that my hands feel tingly and almost numb.

Old tires/spacer issue.
Bought a 2021 LR off someone about 3 months ago. Drove great, no issues, decent thread on tires etc. Bought some parts for the car including spacers (25mm back and front). After the install it turns out that mechanic did not align the car, and it caused thos tires to cup and feather.

New tires (June 14th)

Bought a new set of tires after these got ruined, had the car alignment done, these tires were amazing and felt smooth, nothing like my current issues. 0 issues for close to 14 days.

Vibration started on a road trip through BC without cause. I took it to a mechanic there and they removed the spacers per my request because I figured it might be the root cause.

After 24hr took it to another mechanic and they diagnosed the vibrations to be due to cupping and feathering again!

I called up Kal tire and ordered a new pair (Michelin pilot sport S4) about 4 days ago. They installed them, alignment was done due to it being out again, and balance.

After a couple hours of driving a vibration was coming from the steering wheel. My car was also drifting out of lanes on the highway.

I took it back, they said the balance was off by 0.75 ish on 3 of them then balanced them again.

Same issue next day, took it to another mechanic, they re-balanced them and said it was off by 0.75-1.0

Took it to a tesla SC today, they said the alignment wasn't done properly, and that someone counterbalanced the wheels. They fixed that, realigned all 4, then said it was good to go.

Took it for a drive, better, but not fixed, it's still vibrating to the point I have to loosen my grip, turn autopilot on etc. Still slightly drifts.

So where I'm at now is thinking something far worse is wrong, yes I have driven the car when it had 0 issues and loved it, yes there is something wrong that I know for a fact was not there before.

I'm stumped, I have another appointment set up at Kal tire to see if the tires may be the issue but that's in a week.

Old tires/spacer issue.

New tires (June 14th)

You have no idea how much I can relate to this. Almost verbatim I am at a loss after six visits multiple alignments new wheels, new tires, new suspension control arms. The only thing that has not been replaced is half shaft and Drive units. I had a field, technical expert engineer drive and say there was nothing wrong, but he's full of yet. I also have a right drift they cannot correct. I am desperate for a resolution or will have to end up selling the car.

2015 S 85D

You have no idea how much I can relate to this. Almost verbatim I am at a loss after six visits multiple alignments new wheels, new tires, new suspension control arms. The only thing that has not been replaced is half shaft and Drive units. I had a field, technical expert engineer drive and say there was nothing wrong, but he's full of yet. I also have a right drift they cannot correct. I am desperate for a resolution or will have to end up selling the car.

2015 S 85D
Update: field technician. So-called expert is denying any abnormal vibrations. He’s either incompetent or lying. ALL San Diego Tesla repair service center anre unwilling to help or even acknowledge there’s an issue. Next things to try are either wheel bearings or half shafts or Lawyer. The vibration throughout the vehicle on the freeway is horrendous.

• Informative
Reactions: XPsionic
2022 Model Y Long Rage here. History, 3 visits, a non standard tire in one wheel due to puncture tire and was a two week wait so accepted a Michelin EV tire, that had a foam issue, removed foam, started noticing he high frequency vibration. Replaced the non oem tires and three tires, so now all tire are standard oem. Same issue, Tech drove the car and stated he was able to replicate the vibration last week. he state the would check control arm bushings and steering column dampeners. When I picked up the car, the work that was done is a torque adjustment. The vibration is still present.

The service center on the last visit was in the city, so couldn't us etch freeway. Will file a service again in a center near a freeway to better replicate the issue again.

'22 M3P, I have a very slight vibration at low speeds on almost any road surface, but more noticeable on smooth surfaces. Above 80 mph the vibration becomes very evident. I had the car aligned after putting H&R lowering springs on it and it drove great for a long time. No abnormal wear on tires.

I have taken it to the mountains for fun driving and I accelerate hard every chance I get, but I've never hit any large bumps, never curbed a wheel.

I wondered if a bushing was to blame, but I will be checking half shafts next time I take it in for an alignment and rotation, which should be pretty soon. I've had the car for 1 year now, about 10 months of which it has been lowered.

This thread has been helpful, hopefully you find the cause.

I was recently told by a third-party that my vibration is the front drive unit, even though it’s still under warranty tesla will not diagnose since they say there is no excessive vibration, which is not true. Tesla is not honoring the warranty 2015 S 85D

I was recently told by a third-party that my vibration is the front drive unit, even though it’s still under warranty tesla will not diagnose since they say there is no excessive vibration, which is not true. Tesla is not honoring the warranty 2015 S 85D
That is crazy.

At some point people will have to do bearings in drive units themselves. What's your plan?

I am at a loss. I have had 13 visits in the last eight months at four different dealers in Southern California and none of them acknowledge issues. I have dragged regional, technical engineer, expert shop, foreman‘s service managers.

They just play word games and won’t fix issues from
- vehicle vibration
- RDU clunk after remanufactured unit installed
-Right drift
arbitration doesn’t work because you have to prove which is nearly impossible
Lemon law is difficult because they have to attempt a repair, which is hard when they do not acknowledge a repair is needed.

Sad I would do anything to resolve this vibration but my hands are tied in a way while under warranty