Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the location and information about service size, I don't think it's a supercharger. IIRC, for this size they usually are getting service in the neighborhood of 2000+ A. It does look like the existing Santa Clarita supercharger is going to be expanded, though. I posted a screencap of the recently issued permit in the relevant thread.

Given the location and information about service size, I don't think it's a supercharger. IIRC, for this size they usually are getting service in the neighborhood of 2000+ A. It does look like the existing Santa Clarita supercharger is going to be expanded, though. I posted a screencap of the recently issued permit in the relevant thread.
Well that really exposes my poor permit searching skills. Thanks :mad:

Seriously though, no hard feelings, this is awesome :)

Moderator note: This post plus the 5 following were merged from a new thread.

I apologize if there has been a thousand threads like this before but man, it reeks of political lobbying that there is only ONE supercharger in the entire central LA area.

The closest supercharger to me is either Culver City, Burbank or Santa Monica. I don't need to supercharge on the regular but its a pain when I need to get somewhere quick and I need to make a detour to a super charger. Although its not often, it just kind of a pain.

There should be several in Koreatown and Downtown alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the scale of things to complain about california about, "lack of tesla charging infrastructure" should be waay waay waay down the list. We have more superchargers in california than almost everywhere else, and they are spaced appropriately for "travel".

They may not (and SHOULD NOT) be spaced appropriately for "regular use by people who live there".

OP, you are correct that there are " a thousand threads" on "charging by locals" here on TMC, so I wont even pretend to point to one, but for the most part, california (except maybe central california) has plenty of superchargers available. The main issue is usually over crowding at them, not them being "too far away".

I'm sure that finding space in LA to put up superchargers isn't easy. It's probably more logistics than any sort of political motivation. With that being said, I've found the distribution of superchargers to be pretty convenient.

By the way, there are 10 superchargers in downtown - 899 South Francisco Street.
it’s the same for San Francisco city proper. For years there were no superchargers and even today it only has one (with two others in progress). These are difficult locations to access too; two are in parking garages with additional parking fees. But the rest of the bay area has tons of options so it’s not really so bad unless you’re a local to SF without a good home charging solution.
OP, you are correct that there are " a thousand threads" on "charging by locals" here on TMC, so I wont even pretend to point to one, but for the most part, california (except maybe central california) has plenty of superchargers available. The main issue is usually over crowding at them, not them being "too far away".
And even for Central California, that’s being changed as the number of superchargers is doubled this year.

I apologize if there has been a thousand threads like this before but man, it reeks of political lobbying that there is only ONE supercharger in the entire central LA area.

The closest supercharger to me is either Culver City, Burbank or Santa Monica. I don't need to supercharge on the regular but its a pain when I need to get somewhere quick and I need to make a detour to a super charger. Although its not often, it just kind of a pain.

There should be several in Koreatown and Downtown alone.
No, what it reeks of is the tremendous challenges of finding a suitable hosting location in dense urban areas of cities where parking is at a major premium. There may be some overtones of other technical challenges in getting superchargers approved in parts of LADWP (Los Angeles Dept. of Water and Power) territory that Tesla doesn't face in areas served by So.Cal Edison. I get a strong whiff of Tesla's parsimonious siting strategy where, unless they have no other option, Tesla mostly refuses to make deals with host businesses/properties that insist on charging rent for the parking stalls Tesla leases--this instead of accepting that the supercharger will provide value by being a draw for captive customers. But most of all, there's a lingering aroma of the fact that for the first ~5 years of Tesla supercharging development and build-out, they were intentionally NOT putting them in cities because they viewed superchargers solely as enabling long distance travel between cities. Local charging needs at the ends were envisioned to be met by home/work charging, destination chargers, or local L2 chargers provided by other parties. It wasn't until the end of 2017 that they widened focus to begin work on addressing the day-to-day charging needs of Tesla owners living within cities. See Supercharging Cities.

Oh, yeah.... There's a supercharger in the works for ROW - DTLA on Alameda: Supercharger - Los Angeles, CA - ROW DTLA (permit found, construction not started, 16 stalls)

Anyone have the scoop on the upcoming Hollywood supercharger? Map pin seems to place it at a private school.

hollywood-supercharger.PNG

Good to know! Fingers crossed it ends up even closer to my home.
Don't hold your breath on this. A lot of those local "coming soon" locations have been on that map for multiple years, just getting rolled over year-after-year. I know the one "planned" for Brea, CA has been around since at least 2018 (although at least there has been an official proposal made to the city by Tesla a couple of months ago). A quick search win the California Supercharger speculation references the Hollywood location "coming soon" since 2017.

Moderator note: This post plus the 5 following were merged from a new thread.

I thought the original concept of the SpC was for travel. Leaving town?.... charge at the 1st charger 50 miles away. Going into the city?.... charge on the way in and again when you leave. Spending time in town? Doubt you need 300 miles in one day - use destination chargers.

Don't understand the politics comment - something Tesla came up with almost a decade ago when the SpC concept appeared to control elections?

I thought the original concept of the SpC was for travel. Leaving town?.... charge at the 1st charger 50 miles away. Going into the city?.... charge on the way in and again when you leave. Spending time in town? Doubt you need 300 miles in one day - use destination chargers.

Don't understand the politics comment - something Tesla came up with almost a decade ago when the SpC concept appeared to control elections?

In the LA area there are none in the immediate area, to really be an alternative to ICE vehicles it needs to be as convenient as stopping by a gas station to fill up.

Only superchargers can semi accomplish this. Otherwise hours for on a J-772 or what else charger,and we shouldnt have to pay hundreds for a Chademo adapter.

Lobbying from the fossil fuel industry is no joke. If political at the federal level can be bought out like nothing, State and City officials will be a piece of cake.

Not to mention in LA most of these stalls are packed, yes they're free on odd hours (after work hours/late night/early morning) but what is the convenience of that.

I love my tesla, I have no problem with the infrastructure but in order for people in MASS to migrate to EV we would need super chargers on every other block to convince people its almost the same as filling up. Its not going to be great if for what ever circumstances you don't have enough battery to go to a meeting and you need to fill up ASAP but end up being 30-40 minutes late because you had to fill up (lets not get into why you were late, lets just play this scenario)

The fact is most property owners/management companies would love to have tesla charges as long as the installation isn't to costly (heavy construction is needed)

But there is NO super chargers in the immediate LA area where theres a high volume of Tesla owners, only 1 in downtown in which you have to pay valet and with a 30 min limit?

Tesla is a growing company, I dont see how property owners of stores and super markets wouldnt want a super charger. I literally go shopping, eat, etc, etc whenever i stop to charge my tesla

Reactions: Maaz
In the LA area...

The error of this is trying to make too much of a parallel to ICE cars. The difference is more than gasoline vs. electrons. Going with an electric car is a complete paradigm shift.

I don't want to ever have to "go somewhere" to get my car charged - the true advantage is to bring the "gas station" to you. The focus shouldn't be on building more Superchargers, it should be on making home and work charging more available. Being able to pull into my parking spot and plugging in and then going about my business is FAR superior to having to rely on pulling into the local charging station. The complete mindset should be that Superchargers would only be necessary for road trips.

Sure: it's not a perfect world and not everyone can have charging at their home or office and for that, we will still need some Urban SuCs. But we shouldn't be trying to mimic the ICE experience in our electric vehicles - that's a losing proposition.