Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Strasburg, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 92344

There are also two CHAdeMOs in Charlottesville Virginia. We are only getting about 44 mi/hr. on each of them today. In the past we've gotten about 133 mi/hr. Still planning to go up the Skyline Drive this afternoon. May still check out the Supercharger in Strasburg this evening. Thanks for the offer Xenophobe. I have spotted your location in case we need to charge. I'm pretty sure we will be OK though.
I stopped at Charlottesville home wood suites last weekend for like 20 min and got 133mi/hr

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440894255.704684.jpg

Drove the entire 109 mile Skyline Drive today. Charged to 214 miles rated range in Charlottesville and finished at Front Royal with 100 miles rated range. Didn't have time to go to Strasburg to check to see if the Supercharger is on.

View attachment 92370

Drove the entire 109 mile Skyline Drive today. Charged to 214 miles rated range in Charlottesville and finished at Front Royal with 100 miles rated range. Didn't have time to go to Strasburg to check to see if the Supercharger is on.

Beautiful photo and thanks for sharing!

Today must have been in incredible day for a visit to Shenandoah National Park. Which route did you take from Maryland to do the 109 mile Skyline Drive?

I was always hoping they'd install a Supercharger at Front Royal to make Skyline Drive possible as taking I-66 from DC/MD would take up about 60 mile just getting to the start of the northern entrance to Skyline Drive. I wonder if they'd consider installing a Supercharger somewhere along I-66 close to Front Royal and perhaps another at Culpepper as that would make another connection between I-81 and I-95.

Last edited:
Yes, it was a great day in the mountains and it was capped off with a stunning sunset right before we descended into Front Royal..

We started this morning from Richmond and took I-64 to Charlottesville where we topped off on CHAdeMO. Charlottesville is said to be one of the planned Supercharger locations in Virginia for this year.

Had a local family member do a recon run on the way home. Still looks like we are waiting for labels and power to the stalls. Can't imagine what is taking so long to power them up. Everything looks like it is in place...Here are some pictures that look similar to the rest. It does look like they painted or swapped out the parking stops / curbs...maybe the other ones were to high? Our cars to have low hanging front ends...

IMG_7597.JPG.jpeg
IMG_7598.JPG.jpeg
IMG_7599.JPG
IMG_7600.JPG.jpeg
IMG_7601.JPG.jpeg

Last edited:
With this latest round of pics (thanksTucker_Palmatier) , you can see that there's no vents at the bottom of the units... so as I had surmised earlier these aren't the new liquid-cooled cable design.

Although I'm not sure I'm a fan of the idea of the liquid cooled cables... they actually are slightly less efficient...

With this latest round of pics (thanksTucker_Palmatier) , you can see that there's no vents at the bottom of the units... so as I had surmised earlier these aren't the new liquid-cooled cable design.

Although I'm not sure I'm a fan of the idea of the liquid cooled cables... they actually are slightly less efficient...

Slightly less efficient but likely allow larger current and faster charging, which could be a net positive on efficiency when you include the car systems.

All I know is that supercharger is like an oasis in the desert. I can't wait to be able to drive skyline drive! Hope they continue south on 81 - would like to drive my daughter to college in the S in the near future. Frankly if I were Denny's I would cut a deal with Tesla to put them at all my locations nationally.

All I know is that supercharger is like an oasis in the desert. I can't wait to be able to drive skyline drive! Hope they continue south on 81 - would like to drive my daughter to college in the S in the near future. Frankly if I were Denny's I would cut a deal with Tesla to put them at all my locations nationally.

Great idea. I'm shocked they have not cut a deal with Cracker Barrel, as I think their food is actually better and it is always entertaining to peruse the trinkets sold at their shops after a snack.

I so wish they had a supercharger before you get to Front Royal on I-66. Skyline Drive stars at Front Royal and it is perhaps one of the most scenic drives in the country and ideal for an EV. As it is you have to go 20 minutes out of your way to (40 minute round trip) to visit the Strasburg SC before you backtrack to Front Royal to get on Skyline Drive.

They will be lighting I-81 soon. I'm still really hoping for an I-66 SC as we visit Shenandoah National Park often when we are in DC and also like going to the farms and vineyards in VA around there and while Strasburg is great for I-81 travel, it is not so great for people who live in the DC area doing day trips to the VA countryside and mountains.

http://pluginsites.org/five-new-tesla-supercharger-locations-coming-to-virginia/

That video with the locations of the proposed Superchargers in Virginia was recorded by andrewket back in March. Now that Norfolk and Strasburg are built, has anyone investigated to see if permits have been issued for Charlottesville, Lexington and Wytheville?

Lanny

What amazes me is that this supercharger is not pinned as "Coming Soon" on the Tesla Supercharger map. And the Norfolk SC which had been coming soon is now gone. Too bad about the worker getting electrocuted there. Teslarati has that one marker "temporarily closed."

Lanny,
I am near both Charlottesville and Lexington. How does one go about sniffing for permits? (I googled with no real results.)
Live near Exit 99 on 64 (top of Afton Mtn) and, although winters can get real slippery up here, I agree that Skyline Drive and the Model S are made for each other.
:)

That video with the locations of the proposed Superchargers in Virginia was recorded by andrewket back in March. Now that Norfolk and Strasburg are built, has anyone investigated to see if permits have been issued for Charlottesville, Lexington and Wytheville?

Lanny

cmu5p,

Some municipalities post building permits online. Often, you have to call the office. Ask if there are any permits issued for Tesla Motors to construct an electric car charging station. It should be public information.

You live in a nice area. Traffic was light and the weather was perfect for opening the pano roof yesterday. And the sunset was absolutely stunning.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440982206.303596.jpg