Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Statesville, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A supercharger in Statesville, NC would be nice for added comfort in winter months for my trips.

But, I've been doing pretty well lately. I can make it consistently from my place in Hickory, NC all the way to the Lexington, VA supercharger non-stop, normal driving with traffic at highway speeds (~75 MPH) with A/C running and such. Same for the return trip, although it's a little more power hungry than the northbound version and I have to slow it down a bit. I pulled in my garage with 4 rated miles last time I left Lexington, VA with 100%.

Wytheville is too far out of the way. It makes more sense for me to spend the extra 45 minutes in Lexington topping off than it does to go the extra miles to Wytheville and spend time charging there. The proposed Statesville location would still be out of my way, but not quite as much... so I probably still wouldn't use it unless I got to that area and wasn't confident in my energy capacity for the remaining 30 miles or so.

My contacts at Tesla still claim that this supercharger isn't even officially planned for construction yet. So, who knows.

After taking my first trip from Raleigh to Asheville in my S75D, I've reaffirmed my interest in this location. :p The uphill trip was definitely doable with a top-off in Burlington to 100%, but it'd be nice to arrive in Asheville with some charge to run around town with. I imagine the pucker factor will be a bit higher in the winter months though. :/ Statesville would be a much better location to charge mid-way.

Totally agree that Statesville will make the drive from the Triangle to Asheville a piece of cake. Even the Greensboro SC (assuming it will be close to I-40) will be ever so slightly better than Burlington for those of us in the Triangle heading to Asheville and beyond. We'll arrive with slightly less charge (~20 miles), and we'll need slightly less charge (again ~20 miles),

However, the Greensboro location doesn't make much sense to me since it is so close to Burlington. Winston-Salem seems a better choice.

Reactions: jimmyz80