Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - St George, UT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, I'm impressed that this is station is taking forever to get approved. It would seem faster and perhaps easier to apply for a charging station in another town in Southern Utah. I'd imagine Hurricane, just a few miles north of St George on I-15, would be eager for the business.

Anyone hear rumors of when charging stations will be expanding north of SLC and across Southern Idaho?

I am from CA, but have relatives we'd like to visit in St George.
I spoke with the St George Commercial Building Division today (very nice and helpful lady), and despite the "City of St George Commercial Plan Tracking" web page showing only that the plans were submitted 4/11/14, in fact, the next 5 lines (review & approval steps, power path etc.) are complete, and the reviewer is ready to issue the permit (line 6) pending the payment of permit fees. I was told that these fees are usually paid for by the General Contractor selected to perform the work, but at this time either Tesla has not identified the contractor, or the contractor has not come forward to start the project.
This makes sense, as permits cover a certain period of time, and you do not want to start (issue it) until a work crew is available.
So it seems all is ready, just waiting for a crew or pre-crew (assigned? contractor?) to start the work.
If anyone talks with a crew at a site under construction, please ask them if they know where they are going next.

Absent a clear indication of a supercharger in time for my trip, I'm going to be at the Zion West RV Park:
Nema 14-50

175 South Valley Road, Leeds, UT 84746

(435) 879-2854

Cost $5 courtesy fee (I plan on giving him more)

Hours 24/7
Zion West RV Park St George Utah

The guy I spoke with, Jim, seems to know an awful lot about batteries and electric cars and he's seen his fair share of Tesla Roadsters. Also, key for the area, their location has shade!

I talked to the crew at the Nephi site about two weeks ago. They said they had done the Richfield and Beaver sites and said they didn't know where they would go next but thought it might be Colorado. I was hoping it would be St George but they didn't seem to think so.

You might just send an inquiry to the team at Tesla and ask them the status on this project. [email protected]

I emailed them as you suggested, however the reply I got was as I would expect. They are understandibly busy, look for the announcement when it opens:
Hi Gabriel,
Thank you for your email—we appreciate your enthusiasm! We are excited to bring St. George, UT to our network soon and our experience with delays through all phases of the deployment process has led to our approach of communicating firm timing once we are sure a specific site will be ready for our owners to use. We are getting close here and thank you for your support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.
Thanks,
The Tesla Supercharger Team
When I called the St George Planning Office I got an answering machine and left a brief message and my #. When I hung up, I felt petty for bothering them, because face it, I had no official business, just an anxious and curious Tesla owner. They called me back a week later, and since they were kind enough to update me, I felt it was now my responsibility to share the news with the club. I post on the Teslamotors Forum, but I was only a TMC reader - so now I had to register (thanks!) so I could share the news they provided.
I felt the same pettiness when I e-mailed the Supercharger Team. They have real issues on their plate.

SO, the beauty of this forum on supercharger status is that we try not to bother the principals, but instead share our sleuthing and in the field observations, or clippings from town hall meetings, talking to local shops or restaurants. Looking for outlets or malls near intersections of major freeways between major cities. Looking for spray paint and little flags in the parking lots. Asking a work crew, while bringing them doughnuts, where they might be going next? Noticing a porta-potty showed up at a site that thus far only had permit status.
These are the bones we crave as we hunt for news.

Now, on a more serious note, Tesla is rather busy building out Superchargers all over the world now. The emphasis on the USA must accommodate those expansion plans, so hardware such as Superchargers, Distribution Panels, Charge Monuments, AND the Utility Co's big green distribution transformers may be scarce. Think of the project management that has to go on to get all this sequenced and done. The lead time on building a big green pad mounted 6000+ pound distribution transformer from Howard Industries is 1 to 3 months, and these are ordered (and owned) by the utility companies AFTER an approved permit I assume. Who knows, maybe in anticipation, Tesla had Howard Industries build and stockpile a run of the things, but they do need to be sized for the number of Superchargers per site.

So, all we can do is look at the big red Tesla dots on the Coming Soon or 2015 map, and watch and listen for tidbits of hints and news. Sometimes there are surprizes. While everyone was watching the much anticipated Red Dot at the Primm NV boarder, boom! Truckee CA gets a permit! And still no Red Dot for Truckee on Tesla's map.

Hunting for Supercharger clues reminds me of the easter eggs in software.

Absent a clear indication of a supercharger in time for my trip, I'm going to be at the Zion West RV Park:
Nema 14-50

175 South Valley Road, Leeds, UT 84746

(435) 879-2854

Cost $5 courtesy fee (I plan on giving him more)

Hours 24/7
Zion West RV Park St George Utah

The guy I spoke with, Jim, seems to know an awful lot about batteries and electric cars and he's seen his fair share of Tesla Roadsters. Also, key for the area, their location has shade!

Vexar, When are you planning your trip? I am coming back to Las Vegas from Chicago, on 30 June and your tip about Zion West RV eases my concern for this route. thanks!

Just missing our July 16th drive by on our Cross Country trek to TMC Connect!

Darn!

Aaron

Yeah! I thought about that; maybe it will be ready for some on the way home... Looks like a lot of 100% charges at Beaver for the group and time to use some of those hypermile skills on the way to Vegas; place your bets on what fraction can make it without a top up.

St George is needed, and soon!

:scared: HELP...going from SOCAL to Denver in July......Anyone near the Del Taco
1091 N Bluff St #500, St George, UT SC site see signs of construction?

You still have Options traveling East to Denver in early July.
**You can go the less direct route using all Superchargers going thru Arizona and NM toward Colorado.
**You can use all Superchargers with an additional charging stop at Zion West RV Park. See Vexar's post #45 in this thread.

Yeah! I thought about that; maybe it will be ready for some on the way home... Looks like a lot of 100% charges at Beaver for the group and time to use some of those hypermile skills on the way to Vegas; place your bets on what fraction can make it without a top up.

St George is needed, and soon!

Beaver to Las Vegas was easy for us (100% charge, 40 miles remaining when we pulled into Vegas).
The other way would require a partial charge at a RV park or such.

Beaver to Las Vegas was easy for us (100% charge, 40 miles remaining when we pulled into Vegas).
The other way would require a partial charge at a RV park or such.
Mind the weather, even when going south. I did Beaver to Vegas in May. I kept the speed below 65 but the headwinds were lowering my Rated Range number so much that I stopped at Zion West and added about 20 miles of range. Winds were even stronger south of St. George and I got to Vegas with 18 mi on the gauge. Once St. George comes online I'll be comfortable doing this route to Park City in any weather!

I purchased an accessory at the Vegas service center today and the helpful staff mentioned in passing that Edmunds had driven Vegas to Beaver non-stop with nine rated miles to spare. I found this link about it. http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s/2013/long-term-road-test/2013-tesla-model-s-los-angeles-to-new-york-in-pictures.html

Though it's not stated in the link, the staff did mention that they had cruise set to 55 mph.

fwiw, I went from Beaver to Vegas with little compromise on speed (cruise at 81 in the 80 zones) and a/c set to 66-69. Construction did lower speed in large parts between St George and a bit after Mesquite.

Little to no wind. Scorching hot. 115℉ in Mesquite. Only 13 rated miles left, but I had only charged to 95% in Beaver.

Great news! The Salina KS Supercharger went live today on schedule, and we heard from Cottonwood on 6-24-2014 that the crew there believed they were headed to ST George next!
Hopefully starting Monday July 7th or soon after we will see some physical activity in St George. Anyone in that vicinity please keep a look out.