Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger or Mini Supercharger at home ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The idea is great. Tesla itself is already doing exactly this at some Superchargers where limiting the power draw from the grid saves them a great amount of money in fees to the power company. But the size of the battery needed for this is significant. You need a battery that is larger than the 85 to be able to recharge your car. It would need it's own dedicated charger as well and then of course the actual supercharger itself. The cost of this entire setup would be significant. Probably as much as a Model S. I doubt many people would buy that.

I was thinking the same thing; still, if the gigafactory is able to get battery costs way, way down, the concept possibly could work. Part of the goal of the gigafactory is to produce battery packs that can shift power demand, i.e., charge the pack when electricity is cheap and then draw from it during peak demand hours, thus smoothing out demand & lowering costs. The same pack could be the heart of a home supercharger.

The size of the pack needed for a supercharger would be determined by how much you expect to have to charge the car. For example, to keep costs down, you could design it so that the supercharger pack could bring the car up (at most) from 20% charge to 85% charge. Then the battery would not have to be bigger than the battery in the car; it would just need to be wired in such a way that the voltage of the pack in the supercharger is higher than the voltage in the car (this works even if the supercharger has a lower kwh than the pack in the car, because charging is driven by voltage, not capacity).

To your other point, though, yes it would still be expensive. But it could also be set up for solar charging; that feels like the future to me.

If someone is willing to spend the money for a "home supercharger"... why not a "home battery swap station"? Makes a lot more sense given the input power feed to most homes. Many, many hours to charge the pack that is not in the car.

Call Tesla and ask for a price quote, and a price for a second pack.