Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really think TM should move to a "color coded" paired SC setup, so the rule is, never park on a paired color where another MS is charging, unless no other spots are available. All this A1/B2 crap is overly complicated and isn't easy to explain. I had one driver tell me that all the "A" stalls are on one bus, and all the "B" stalls on another, so parking 1A and 1B is the best plan. Nope!

Color coded would be the simplest solution I agree, much better than what's there now.

Sorry to stray off topic, we can let this sub-discussion die here, but I'd love to see a solution added to future superchargers (doubt this could be retrofit easily) that just has an indicator light on the pedestal with the most juice available. Nothing fancy, just on or off. Would be really simple to calculate I would think, since all that data is there already being fed back to Tesla. Just have one pedestal with a small bright blue indicator on top and as soon as someone connects, the indicator lights on the next best option (or randomly among equal options). This would also aid when there is a car on each pair, to let you know which one has the most kW available.

I'd take it a step further and have the car tell you which stall to park in. Tesla has the info to do it, wouldn't be super complicated to do.

Oh, I know, we've had long threads on this. The solutions range from

• simple, requiring no hardware or software (color labels)
  • software notices on the touchscreen
  • hardware (status lights, etc)

What I'm suggesting requires no hardware or software, and are simple, color coded signs or labels on each paired stall. At least this way, it's 100x easier to explain to someone how it works. It's also the cheapest and fastest way to improve the system.

Any other changes of hardware or software is either not going to happen, or happen on "Tesla Time", which means a long, long time. TM has had live SC stall usage data available since day 1, but we've yet to see it available to us.

Oh, I know, we've had long threads on this. The solutions range from

• simple, requiring no hardware or software (color labels)
  • software notices on the touchscreen
  • hardware (status lights, etc)

What I'm suggesting requires no hardware or software, and are simple, color coded signs or labels on each paired stall. At least this way, it's 100x easier to explain to someone how it works. It's also the cheapest and fastest way to improve the system.

Any other changes of hardware or software is either not going to happen, or happen on "Tesla Time", which means a long, long time. TM has had live SC stall usage data available since day 1, but we've yet to see it available to us.

The problem, I guess, would be number of colors as the number of superchargers at a given location expand. Also, you've got the red/green colorblindness issue for some fairly significant percentage of the populace.

The problem, I guess, would be number of colors as the number of superchargers at a given location expand. Also, you've got the red/green colorblindness issue for some fairly significant percentage of the populace.

Those are all much easier problems to solve than writing new software and/or developing a new SC hardware platform.

Give each pair a name, design, animal, shape in addition to a color, etc.

"I'm parked at the Green Dinosaur SC stall pair. You?"

"I'm on the Purple Elephant stalls".

See? Solved.

So it's too complicated to just tell people to avoid connecting to a stall that has the same number as another stall already in use?[emoji12]

Putting colors will have people saying things like I always use the green stall since green means go. Always avoid the red stall - it's the slowest. Not to mention complaints from the colorblind. [emoji3]

So it's too complicated to just tell people to avoid connecting to a stall that has the same number as
another stall already in use?[emoji12]

Yes, even just single numbers would work! It's the entire A/B thing which is confusing to most people I talk to. The A/B designation is meaningless/useless to the charging public.

Also, if using just numbers, they need to be HUGE and on the TOP of each pedestal. I just got back from a r/t drive to Florida and back stopping at a dozen supercharger locations each way, and it's not really easy to see what stalls are occupied and which ones are paired, and which pair is free. Some SC locations are numbered as:

1A 1B 2A 2B 3A 3B 4A 4B

while others are:

1A 2A 3A 4A 1B 2B 3B 4B

and I think there's other configurations too, like Rocky Mount.

and if two or more stalls are occupied, you first have to deduce the numbering scheme looking at only the open stalls and their tiny labels near the ground, and then figure out which pairs are occupied, and then which of those pairs are free.

But if each stall had a huge, single number which you could see above each occupied stall, it would make it incredibly simple to drive in, glance and see the pairing pattern and then find an open unpaired stall.

Obviously, the 1A/2B system was developed by engineers, and not UI/UX folks.

I think they need to do more than just fix the whole A/B thing. When you show up to a site and every charger (not slot) is being used and you need to pick which "B" slot to take, it would be immensely helpful to know what the SOC is for the cars that are currently charging so you know which spot would be best. There's lots of ways they can do this (on screen, indicators on the pedestals, etc...). Trying to stay on topic as this is the Newark thread, I actually had this problem once at Newark. Two of the slots were taken and I had to pick which of the other two to use. Would be nice to know if the other car was at 20% SOC or 70% SOC.

I think they need to do more than just fix the whole A/B thing. When you show up to a site and every charger (not slot) is being used and you need to pick which "B" slot to take, it would be immensely helpful to know what the SOC is for the cars that are currently charging so you know which spot would be best. There's lots of ways they can do this (on screen, indicators on the pedestals, etc...).

Discussed up thread, and in about 1,000 other threads.

Trying to stay on topic as this is the Newark thread, I actually had this problem once at Newark. Two of the slots were taken and I had to pick which of the other two to use. Would be nice to know if the other car was at 20% SOC or 70% SOC.

I've done this too. Arrived, plugged in, eh this one is kinda slow, pulled out, moved over to the other paired one, this one is even slower, back to the first paired one. Thankfully no other Teslas showed up, but I bet the bus full of people thought I was crazy.

I think they need to do more than just fix the whole A/B thing. .

Oh, I agree.. but every other solution requires significant software and/or hardware changes/upgrades. As I said, there are many levels of improvements that could be made. But I'm focusing on the low-cost and zero software/hardware options (just big stickers, essentially) that can make a huge improvement, right away.

If you want to start talking hardware and software, there are already long threads hashing those out, up to and including "in car supercharger reservation" systems that can predict SC availability before you even get there. But every one of those hardware/software options are not likely to happen anytime sooner or later. If we can't get Tesla to fix the instrument cluster problems in the cars, we're not going to have much like asking them to enhance the SC platform.

image.jpeg
More progress...getting closer

I am very excited to see so much progress, but am slightly concerned about prominently displayed universal fitting tool (aka sledge hammer) and it's possible use during the installation of supercharger cabinets...