Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lumberton, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a P85 with 21 inch Michelin Pilot tires and can not go 240 miles on a charge. I traveled from FL to DC after Thanksgiving. I drove a 170 mile distance between Savannah and Florence at 55 mph using cruise control, no HVAC, etc. during a rain with strong headwinds and about 42 degree temperature. I started with a full range charge and arrive with just 4 miles to spare. The greatest range I have been able to achieve on a full range charge is just over 210 miles. Further, driving 55 mph on a 70 mph road is not fun, especially at night, with all the other cars barreling down on you at 70+mph. I found that to be un-nerving.

I have a P85 with 21 inch Michelin Pilot tires and can not go 240 miles on a charge. I traveled from FL to DC after Thanksgiving. I drove a 170 mile distance between Savannah and Florence at 55 mph using cruise control, no HVAC, etc. during a rain with strong headwinds and about 42 degree temperature. I started with a full range charge and arrive with just 4 miles to spare. The greatest range I have been able to achieve on a full range charge is just over 210 miles. Further, driving 55 mph on a 70 mph road is not fun, especially at night, with all the other cars barreling down on you at 70+mph. I found that to be un-nerving.

Surely you didn't start out with a range charge in an P85 and drive 170 miles at 55mph leaving you with only 4 miles remaining? Headwind, rain and elevation change (not sure about that on this trip) do take their toll but that's pretty bad!
I am planning a road trip in my 60 in 3 weeks from Northern Virginia to Orlando and will report on my experience. The distance between the Savannah SC (hopefully live by then) and St Augustine is the challenging leg at 170 miles but I have done 210+ in my 60kWh on a single range charge. Agree that driving slow can be a drag when others are going 70+. Might have to draft a fast moving semi if things get tight...

@AprilDelivery?? @swegman, last time I drove to Glen Allen, VA SC from home for 176 miles on my S60 in October and didn't make it (I85 and then I95). I was on cruise control at 65 mph with heater off but going uphill. I have to stop by Level 2 charger and it costs me additional 1.5 hour.

I drove from PA to NYC with the sign saying "82 miles to NYC" and I had only 61 rated miles on my MS 60 . I drove downhill behind a tow truck towing a bus and I was driving between 30-40 miles down hill on NY-17 . I made it to NYC with 26 miles left! I was using a lot regen and it was 80 degrees outside.

DFib, I sure did. Cold weather, rain and strong headwinds take a tremendous toll on the car's range. Not to mention, based on other people's comments, that FL to DC is uphill (which I did not realize).

BTW, we have a mutual friend, Kyle Tran. Did he tell you about when my car died at his house?

Another ATL member drove by today and it looks like they have completed the wooden enclosure and added the chargers. Just waiting on the inspection I think!

1537827_10151837860591434_1187420195_o.jpg

It's hard to tell if the supercharger hardware is actually in there or if they just put up the doors. I would assume they wouldn't put up the doors until the hardware was in place. Did the person who took the photo look inside the gate to confirm the superchargers are actually there? If so, this could be opening up tomorrow (and maybe Savannah too).

It's hard to tell if the supercharger hardware is actually in there or if they just put up the doors. I would assume they wouldn't put up the doors until the hardware was in place. Did the person who took the photo look inside the gate to confirm the superchargers are actually there? If so, this could be opening up tomorrow (and maybe Savannah too).

Yes. I thought the same thing. This is his reply when I asked.

"Yes. The last pictures I saw showed the transformers but not the chargers. Also, the fencing was incomplete. Today, the chargers were there and the fencing was complete and locked."

We just got a new picture of Savannah today too but it doesn't look as far along.

I driven 240 - 250 miles during the summer in a MS 60 . I drive at 59 mph in cruise control just like Tesla recommends and it works. You don't think you can drive in cruise control at 59 mph and make it? You can stop in Jacksonville and top off there.
I would not want to argue the point with you. 240 miles on a 60 means you averaged 250 wh/mi and I have never gotten my average that low. The lowest avg was about 290 and that would get me about 200 miles using ever ion in the battery and wouldnt even try that. I may be able to squeeze about 170 out of it but that would have to be straight and level and about 60 mph. After taking this long trip up I95 with my ICE I dont think I would try this trip unless Jax is open. I checked Plugshare and there are really not many places in N Jax or S Ga to charge. Most are just 110 plugs.

- - - Updated - - -

@mnlevin, did it look like the supercharger cabinets were installed? Was the signage up?
I took some pics and yes it looked all finished. The boxes behind the fencing looked finished. I was scoping all this out in case I wanted to take the trip to Washington in Feb, but I dont think I can stomach another 1000 mile each way ride especially having to charge every 150 miles making a 1 day trip into a 2 day trip. As mentioned before I wouldnt challenge the distance between St Aug and Savannah in the winter in my 60. Not doable.

I checked Plugshare and there are really not many places in N Jax or S Ga to charge. Most are just 110 plugs.

I am with you about taking the extra time. It can be arduous. And I don't think I will road trip without superchargers any time soon. But S. Georgia right there should be prime location for RV parks. Look for some of them and you should find a NEMA 14-50 pretty easily.

But S. Georgia right there should be prime location for RV parks. Look for some of them and you should find a NEMA 14-50 pretty easily.

RV Parks off of I-95 with 14-50 outlets at your disposal:

Richmond Hill, GA:
Savannah South KOA, (800) 562-8741

Townsend:
** Lake Harmony RV Park and Campground, (888) 767-7864
** McIntosh Lake RV Park, (912) 832-6215

Darien:
** Cathead Creek Ranch and RV Park (912) 437-2441

Brunswick:
** Blythe Island Regional Park Campground, (800) 343-7855
** Coastal Georgia GA RV Resort (912) 264-3869
** Golden Isles RV Park (912) 261-1025