Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Wade, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vanjwilson

May 12, 2021
Charlotte, NC
This location appeared on the Find Us map as "Target opening Q4 2022" early this year, at the same time as the one further north on I-95 in Benson did.

I grew up between Wade and Benson, in Dunn, and my father worked in Wade when I was very young. It is really just a farmer community on old US-301 (which I-95 replaced, like I-40 replaced much of Route 66).

But it does have an exit on I-95, and there are a few businesses that could host a supercharger. There's even more highway services at the next exit going south, which also has a Wade address. (In North Carolina, every place list the closest town in its street address, no matter how far away that is.)

I am planning to go back to the area to visit family later this Spring, and I'll go by and scout out the area.

wade_nc_on_google_maps.png

Found some site plans for a new supercharger in Wade, NC at 4001 Pembroke Lane. Tesla says coming Q1 2023 per their Find Us map. See link below and also PDF attached.

What is curious is it looks like 8 stalls total, but 2 separate sets of 4 stalls in different areas at the same site.

Attachments

• Pembroke Site Plan.pdf
    690.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Helpful
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Found some site plans for a new supercharger in Wade, NC at 4001 Pembroke Lane. Tesla says coming Q1 2023 per their Find Us map. See link below and also PDF attached.

What is curious is it looks like 8 stalls total, but 2 separate sets of 4 stalls in different areas at the same site.

The pre-fabs are four stalls, so it would be relatively easy for them to put each in a different location. I don't think I've ever seen that done, but I wouldn't put it past Tesla to agree to something like this. It will be interesting to watch this develop.

Reactions: nccars
Interesting configuration. Also interesting that it's at hotel.

Appears to be 4 stalls close to the hotel building, and 4 stalls in subprime hotel parking.
They might have wanted the 4 closer to make them more disabled accessible charging spots.
I see potential for ICEing of those 4 spots, both because they're close to the hotel building, but also because they're on the north side of the building.
Good for a Tesla owner if they're available for charging though.

(Or maybe the plan is wrong, and it should just say "Tesla charging".)

Last edited:
Wade, NC

Host Type: Hotel
Host: Holiday Inn Express
Along Primary Interstates: I-95
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-301
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-95

To: Benson, NC - 22.3 miles
Diversion: 0.2 miles
To: Smithfield, NC - 37.6 miles

US-301

To: Benson, NC - 24.8 miles
Diversion: 1.6 miles
To: Smithfield, NC - 40 miles

More density, capacity and v3 on I-95.
Although splitting a small gap, it splits a v3 gap of 109.2 miles. Close to Fayetteville, which has 16 stalls, but is only v2.
High density is also capacity.

Wade, NC

Host Type: Hotel
Host: Holiday Inn Express
Along Primary Interstates: I-95
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-301
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-95

To: Benson, NC - 22.3 miles
To: Smithfield, NC - 37.6 miles

US-301

To: Benson, NC - 24.8 miles
Diversion: 1.6 miles
To: Smithfield, NC - 40 miles

More density, capacity and v3 on I-95.
Although splitting a small gap, it splits a v3 gap of 109.2 miles. Close to Fayetteville, which has 16 stalls, but is only v2.
High density is also capacity.

This is also along US-13 which starts not too much southwest of here, in another small town near Fayetteville, and goes northeast to Goldsboro, NC, and eventually all the way to the Philadelphia area. It's takes a more easterly route than the US-301/I-95 corridor. In fact, you can make the case that Goldsboro, NC, Greenville, NC, and Norfolk, VA, superchargers are also within striking distance of the US-13 corridor.(Of course, all of those sites are primarily to enable beach traffic from further inland--nobody in their right mind would use US-13 as a multi-state north-south route.)

On the other hand, at least in North Carolina, I-95 pretty much also supplanted US-301. They are usually less than a mile apart and parallel to each other.

Reactions: LBMagneto
Interesting configuration. Also interesting that it's at hotel.

Appears to be 4 stalls close to the hotel building, and 4 stalls in subprime hotel parking.
They might have wanted the 4 closer to make them more disabled accessible charging spots.
I see potential for ICEing of those 4 spots, both because they're close to the hotel building, but also because they're on the north side of the building.
Good for a Tesla owner if they're available for charging though.

(Or maybe the plan is wrong, and it should just say "Tesla charging".)
It looks like 4 are at the Dairy Queen that is there already and 4 are at the new Holiday Inn.

This is also along US-13 which starts not too much southwest of here, in another small town near Fayetteville, and goes northeast to Goldsboro, NC, and eventually all the way to the Philadelphia area. It's takes a more easterly route than the US-301/I-95 corridor. In fact, you can make the case that Goldsboro, NC, Greenville, NC, and Norfolk, VA, superchargers are also within striking distance of the US-13 corridor.(Of course, all of those sites are primarily to enable beach traffic from further inland--nobody in their right mind would use US-13 as a multi-state north-south route.)

On the other hand, at least in North Carolina, I-95 pretty much also supplanted US-301. They are usually less than a mile apart and parallel to each other.

Yes, I don't know why I didn't include US-13.

US-13

From: Start ((I-295/I-95) Northeast of Fayetteville, NC) - 0.8 miles
To: Goldsboro, NC - 53.9 miles
To: Greenville, NC - 93 miles

This will be a popular/busy charging location. Likely will need to expand if space to do so. Existing SCs at Lumberton and Fayetteville are 150kw so the 250kw here will be preferred for I-95 drivers coming between VA and SC. Moreover, the traffic between Ft. Bragg and west side of Fayetteville (fastest growing area of the metro area) will come over via I-295 to join I-95 here. For those who don’t know: Ft. Bragg is (currently) the largest military base in the world. Not just USA. A substantial workforce commutes long distance (but fast) via I-295/95 to get there daily. For these workers the practical utility of a Tesla being their car will improve dramatically once this site is a reality.

Last edited: