Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Indio, CA (LIVE, 36 V3 + 8 V2 + 2 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's really much needed. Currently you can't drive from Los Angeles to Phoenix (which a lot of people do). The distance from L.A. to the first Supercharger in Quartzsite is +250 miles. Even with an 85 kWh battery you would have to crawl at 50 mph to just make it. The speed limit there is 70-75. The opposite direction is even harder as you are facing pretty strong head winds there almost all the time. I wouldn't risk it in an 85 let alone 60.

Just as a data point: I "crawl" in the slow lane at 62 mph along with the semis. I seem to be going the same speed as they are, and have never experienced any danger at crawling at that speed. I consistently get over 300 miles on a charge, so I would have to say that 250 miles is not a problem. I drive in cruise, with the heater off. A small amount of AC doesn't seem to affect my range. I travel the 2000 mile round trip about twice a year, have 37,000 miles on my car. I don't do 85 mph, which also gives me more range.

The last few times I have been to Phoenix, there were no headwinds either way, although I know at times they can be pretty heavy. That said, I would like to see another supercharger near Indio. That way, I could drive from Tejon Ranch to Indio and skip LA.

Just as a data point: I "crawl" in the slow lane at 62 mph along with the semis. I seem to be going the same speed as they are, and have never experienced any danger at crawling at that speed. I consistently get over 300 miles on a charge, so I would have to say that 250 miles is not a problem. I drive in cruise, with the heater off. A small amount of AC doesn't seem to affect my range. I travel the 2000 mile round trip about twice a year, have 37,000 miles on my car. I don't do 85 mph, which also gives me more range.

The last few times I have been to Phoenix, there were no headwinds either way, although I know at times they can be pretty heavy. That said, I would like to see another supercharger near Indio. That way, I could drive from Tejon Ranch to Indio and skip LA.
While I look forward to an Indio SC, I would think Barstow/Kingman/Buckeye would be the route of choice until. That's how I'm returning home from Tucson, assuming Indio doesn't make it before the first week of May.

It's really much needed. Currently you can't drive from Los Angeles to Phoenix (which a lot of people do). The distance from L.A. to the first Supercharger in Quartzsite is +250 miles. Even with an 85 kWh battery you would have to crawl at 50 mph to just make it. The speed limit there is 70-75. The opposite direction is even harder as you are facing pretty strong head winds there almost all the time. I wouldn't risk it in an 85 let alone 60.

I "crawl" at 63 to 65 mph in the slow lane, driving with cruise, heat off. I go along with the semi trucks. No danger. People who wish to do 85 pass in the fast lane. AT this crawl, I get 300 miles per charge, so the 250 mile range is easily doable, and by going at that crawl, I can skip pulling off for any extra charge (HPWC at Chiriaco Summit for example) and save more time than driving over the speed "limit".

I don't worry about the "limit". You don't have to go the "limit". And it's not any more dangerous to you than it is to the semi trucks. But I will say that a SC in Indio will help: I can then go from Tejon, skip Hawthorne, and make it to Indio with ease. I'm all for that.

I know it's possible to get 300 miles per charge, but it's only possible with very gentle driving and low speed which isn't really desirable. Going 55 average (to make it with some AC, some elevation change and some traffic) vs 75 on a 240 mile leg takes more than one hour longer. With one Supercharger in between you need to charge less than 30 min so you are still faster and more relaxed :)

Anyways, we know from Tesla's own Supercharger map that it's coming so it's all good and just a matter of time. It will also be great when visiting Joshua Tree park.

I know it's possible to get 300 miles per charge, but it's only possible with very gentle driving and low speed which isn't really desirable. Going 55 average (to make it with some AC, some elevation change and some traffic) vs 75 on a 240 mile leg takes more than one hour longer. With one Supercharger in between you need to charge less than 30 min so you are still faster and more relaxed :)

Anyways, we know from Tesla's own Supercharger map that it's coming so it's all good and just a matter of time. It will also be great when visiting Joshua Tree park.

If you hit Joshua Tree in the one week when the Joshuas are blooming, it's pretty neat. Otherwise, it's 25 mph, three huge elevation ups and downs, and you're lucky to see a road runner or a lizard. AND they charge you to go through it. We did it once.

And I repeat, you can go about 63 mph and get 300 mph, if you use cruise. That way you are only losing about 30 minutes, so it makes it about even. Believe it or not. With wind. With altitude changes. If YOU drive, you will get worse.

But I am not opposed to anyone having to go faster (to be more relaxed, he says) and charging for 30 minutes. I just prefer to be unrelaxed and go 62 -63 mph on cruise and skip the supercharger step.

To each his own. YMMV. :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

While I look forward to an Indio SC, I would think Barstow/Kingman/Buckeye would be the route of choice until. That's how I'm returning home from Tucson, assuming Indio doesn't make it before the first week of May.

I like that idea. I am thinking of trying it in a month when we go to Scottsdale, and it looks to me like I can skip Buckeye, go straight to the hotel in Scottsdale. The hotel is "thinking" about putting in a 14-50 for me! If they don't, I just walk a few blocks to the mall and use the Tesla showroom charger. Either way, it's all good.

Going to Phoenix on I-10 is a huge elevation gain and would take about 20 miles of range going up 2500ft. Would not suggest anyone do this at anytime of the year even in an 85kWh without a plan B and C for charging.

Indio confirmed. Home Depot parking lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Southeast corner of Ave 42 and Jackson.

Woohoo! What a small world as I used to play golf at Indio muni as a kid growing up in the desert. It was about the only place to play night golf and still is ;)

indio supercharger.PNG

Fwiw, the long term plans on teslas Supercharger website only show one sc in the high desert area. My guess is only Indio unless plabs change...
I also thought there was supposed to be one in Ontario, it seems to have disappeared too.

Spoke to a guy at Indio City Hall today and he stated that the plans were submitted on Dec. 19, 2013 on a Rush basis. As of today the fees have not been paid. He showed me the plans. Six chargers will be located behind the Subway at the Indio Towne Center. No construction. No markings on the ground. Pics and video to follow.

- - - Updated - - -

Subway, McD's, KFC, Taco Bell, Goody's Cafe, Santana's, Starbucks, Panda Express.