Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger even faster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... The simplest way to improve SC is to have a 100kWh battery where only 85kWh are used, but seems wasteful.

Make it an premium battery option then, say it would cost 25% more but in return it give you these features.
-Longest max range of any of the batteries packs (i.e. you can top it off to 100% SOC)
-Fastest SC time of any other battery (85KWh).
-Best aging battery (due to over all less C rate and DOD over it's lifetime)
-Higher output in C rate for D performance (if D hits battery limits)

Make it an premium battery option then, say it would cost 25% more but in return it give you these features.
-Longest max range of any of the batteries packs (i.e. you can top it off to 100% SOC)
-Fastest SC time of any other battery (85KWh).
-Best aging battery (due to over all less C rate and DOD over it's lifetime)
-Higher output in C rate for D performance (if D hits battery limits)

You're basically describing what the 85kWh is to the 60 kWh :)

That seems to be the most expensive alternative and would require everyone to buy a new battery.
You know a better way that does not include different battery?
As things stand, charging power/speed is held back by battery resistance (heating). They could up the power on current battery but that might into their lifetime (and the thread where owners obsess about range drop would explode).
A bigger battery made out of same cells with same resistance means faster charging.
Those with older (current) battery would continue to get same speed.

Exactly, and as the supercharger network expands, charging (fast) to 70% will be enough for most legs between superchargers. I may be proven wrong, but my bet is that Tesla will never produce a bigger battery.

I feel that you are correct in so far as the physical size.... i.e. Bigger Battery. However, I suspect that in the future, the individual battery cells which make up the battery pack will change for the better. Thus, in the same geometry of physical size of the pack, the "new" cells will provide more capacity per cell. I recon, that when these new improved cells arrive, TESLA will have a decision to make.... can we (TESLA) sell battery pack upgrades to the existing fleet of MS cars? A new meaning to the battery swap concept for sure.

To make that concept even more complex, TESLA could bifurcate the Battery Pack with two disticntly different types of cells... one type that is specialized for providing massive power output and the other designed for lower power output. An accelration persona and a cruising persona. A battery management system in the pack would make the call as to what banks of cells are called upon for the current that the driver is asking for. In fact, I think I read about a TESLA patent that does exactly what I have described in very layman's terms.

Last edited:
I feel that you are correct in so far as the physical size.... i.e. Bigger Battery. However, I suspect that in the future, the individual battery cells which make up the battery pack will change for the better. Thus, in the same geometry of physical size of the pack, the "new" cells will provide more capacity per cell. I recon, that when these new improved cells arrive, TESLA will have a decision to make.... can we (TESLA) sell battery pack upgrades to the existing fleet of MS cars? A new meaning to the battery swap concept for sure.

As they are doing it for the Roadster, there'd be no reason to not do it for the Model S.