Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Effingham, IL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, these people need to get out more. They've obviously never been to Tifton, GA or Lake City, FL. Metropolitan and those cities and have never been spoken in the same sentence in history!

Santee, SC? Metropolitan area?

I think they were referring to Illinois only, but either way, they're clearly looking at a different map than we are, because they also said these will be the first outside Chicago, but Normal, IL was the first in the state, and Springfield opened just a month or so ago.

I think they were referring to Illinois only, but either way, they're clearly looking at a different map than we are, because they also said these will be the first outside Chicago, but Normal, IL was the first in the state, and Springfield opened just a month or so ago.

Those are still metro areas (Bloomington/Normal, Rockford, and Springfield, in addition to Chicago-land). Effingham isn't exactly on that same level. :)

Those are still metro areas (Bloomington/Normal, Rockford, and Springfield, in addition to Chicago-land). Effingham isn't exactly on that same level. :)

Certainly not, I guess I was thinking of 1m+ population. It occurs to me have no idea what the definition of a "metropolitan area" is. This is the original quote:

"According to the Tesla website, Effingham will have the first Tesla charging stations in Illinois outside the Chicago metropolitan area, where there are four such stations. A review of a location map on the website shows that the Effingham stations will be the company's first outside any metropolitan area."

So the first sentence is plainly wrong. The second one could be considered true if you give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they meant to say "outside any metropolitan area, but within Illinois".

It occurs to me have no idea what the definition of a "metropolitan area" is.

I got curious, and wouldn't you know it, there's a Wikipedia article that lists all the metropolitan areas in the US, as defined by the Office of Management and Budget. :)

Illinois "metropolitan areas": Chicago, Rockford, Peoria, Springfield, Champaign, Bloomington, Carbondale, Kankakee, Decatur, and Danville
Illinois "micropolitan areas": Ottawa, Quincy, Dixon, Charleston (not Mattoon?), Sterling, Rochelle, Galesburg, Freeport, Jacksonville, Centralia, Mt Vernon, Pontiac, Canton, Taylorville, Effingham, Macomb, and Lincoln

P.S. Is it bad form to quote yourself?

I got curious, and wouldn't you know it, there's a Wikipedia article that lists all the metropolitan areas in the US, as defined by the Office of Management and Budget. :)

Illinois "metropolitan areas": Chicago, Rockford, Peoria, Springfield, Champaign, Bloomington, Carbondale, Kankakee, Decatur, and Danville
Illinois "micropolitan areas": Ottawa, Quincy, Dixon, Charleston (not Mattoon?), Sterling, Rochelle, Galesburg, Freeport, Jacksonville, Centralia, Mt Vernon, Pontiac, Canton, Taylorville, Effingham, Macomb, and Lincoln

Don't forget the Davenport, Iowa metropolitan area #107 - about half of which is in Illinois.

P.S. Is it bad form to quote yourself?

Not a problem.

Pictures for your viewing pleasure. My parents live here so I asked them to take some pictures for us.
IMG_0843.JPG
IMG_0844.JPG
IMG_0845.JPG
IMG_0846.JPG
IMG_0847.JPG
IMG_0848.JPG
IMG_0849.JPG
IMG_0850.JPG
IMG_0851.JPG
IMG_0852.JPG
IMG_0853.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

these pictures aren't sideways on my computer. *sigh

these pictures aren't sideways on my computer. *sigh

The phone saves the JPEG in a single orientation, then attaches a meta tag that says which way it is rotated. For some reason, the web server for TMC and/or most browsers don't read that meta tag. The solution is to edit the picture in any way, then save it on your computer. Most computers rotate the image and save without use of the rotation meta tag. I find resizing to 1,000 pixels or so on the large dimension, is a good edit that also reduces upload and view times.

Thanks for the photos.

No ETA, but according to these new pics (taken today) by another owner passing through, it looks very close. Hopefully somebody with more knowledge of how these things shake out can add more info, but I think all it needs is a meter (3rd photo). The poles surrounding the transformer appear to be for collision prevention. I assume they'll be filled with concrete and painted yellow.

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

My dad also just happened to be in Effingham today, so I asked him to stop by. He just called and said he'd talked to a contractor working on-site who said he thought power would be turned on in a day or two, and the station would be open in a week or two. He didn't explain what the difference was, or why there would be a week or two between power on and opening. The only thing I can think of is that the power company could turn it on, but then Tesla may have to send somebody (from St Louis or Chicago?) to test it before it can be opened to the public.