Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Durango, CO (pending final City approval)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

85Drew

2015 Model S 85D 191,000 Miles
Aug 8, 2020
Southwest Colorado
The City of Durango City Council recently approved contract for the installation of 8 Tesla Superchargers and a solar canopy at the Durango Transit Center located at 250 W. 8th Street. This location is one block from the heart of downtown and is two blocks away from the intersection of US Highways 160 and 550. Currently, the Durango location ranks 7th highest in North America on the Tesla Supercharger voting page Supercharger Location Voting

More info on the Durango Herald website link below:
Durango Superchargers

I'll send an update to the Supercharge.info team once final approval is granted in January.

Here's to hoping they put in more than 250 W(atts) at 250 W(est) 8th.

That would be amazing, although as far as I know there are still no true V4 SCs installed (in north america or worldwide).

Somehow I doubt Durango CO will be the first but you never know I guess. I'd prefer that get this one in quickly though which may mean a very average V3.

But that location is not likely to be trailer friendly.
The location actually looks fine for hosting a trailer stall. They could install an "island" stall in one of the middle columns of parking spots. If it were near the bottom of this picture it's not too bad to pull into w/ a trailer.

1702254897011.png

Like this one at North Glenn, Denver:

1702255113604.png

Just depends on if that end up doing that... Will need to see the site permits / plans I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: AudreyHTX1
Durango, CO

Host Type: Parking Lot
Host: Durango Transit Center
Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-160, US-285
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

US-160

To: Alamosa, CO - 149.1 miles
Diversion: 0.7 miles
To: Trinidad, CO - 260.8 miles

US-550

To: Montrose, CO - 107.4 miles
Diversion: 0 miles
From: Start (I-25/US-85 north of Albuquerque, NM) - 196 miles
To: End (US-50 Montrose, CO) - 108.1 miles

Southwest Colorado location at the intersection of 2 US Numbered Highways with a bunch of dining options within a 5 minute walk.
The description from the posted article suggests that it will at least have Magic Dock.

Reactions: gsmith123
Nice! I finally did the Colorado Springs-Pueblo-Alamosa-Pagosa Springs-Durango-Farmington-…-Phoenix route a few weeks ago (right after Alamosa opened). First time in 4 years. Was really nice to avoid a bunch of I-40 and I-25! (and Albuquerque). I did have to use the CCS chargers in Durango (the upgraded ChargePoint chargers worked just fine). That transit center parking lot is a decent location; easy walking distance to the City Market and the Holiday Inn Express we were staying at. The weak spot in all this was Farmington; only 4 V2 supercharger stalls. And, Farmington to Gallup takes surprisingly more juice than it should, even with moderate temps and winds. Hopefully that 2nd Farmington site will go in soon too. But, it will be great having a supercharger in Durango; the “only 2” CCS chargers is always a risk for broken chargers or double Rivians doing a deep charge.

The location actually looks fine for hosting a trailer stall

I am sure it's physically possible, I was more commenting on whether the city would want to give up an additional 1-3 spaces for the trailer pull through slot. That and I remember the parking spaces being striped pretty narrow, I assume to try to fit the maximum number of spaces into that lot. Would be glad to see em put a trailer pull through spot in, but not holding my breath lol.

It's a couple of blocks walk to the river side. Nice sitting areas by the Doubletree especially. Just keep your head on a swivel for bikes and some other folks coming up out of the more hidden areas along that path.

This is good. The stress from Poncha Springs to Farmington just went down 50%
Agreed....my Phoenix to Breckenridge area drive usually consists of a Gallup-Farmington-Poncha Springs segment. Thinking that might become a Gallup-Durango-Poncha Springs leg. Shaves some miles off of the Farmington to Poncha leg, and also eliminates the guaranteed slow charging stop at the 4 stall V2 in Farmington. Deep charge in Farmington can often be 1 hr, so 8 x V3 in Durango would be a big improvement.

Agreed....my Phoenix to Breckenridge area drive usually consists of a Gallup-Farmington-Poncha Springs segment. Thinking that might become a Gallup-Durango-Poncha Springs leg. Shaves some miles off of the Farmington to Poncha leg, and also eliminates the guaranteed slow charging stop at the 4 stall V2 in Farmington. Deep charge in Farmington can often be 1 hr, so 8 x V3 in Durango would be a big improvement.
Will they still put a V3 or upgrade Farmington? I know there were some site studies a while ago. I don't see why they wouldn't though. All we need now is Pagosa for that "just in case" Wolfcreek is snowing crap. I think the majority of I70 South will be covered and I will be a happy camper.

Will they still put a V3 or upgrade Farmington? I know there were some site studies a while ago. I don't see why they wouldn't though. All we need now is Pagosa for that "just in case" Wolfcreek is snowing crap. I think the majority of I70 South will be covered and I will be a happy camper.
Yeah, adding Pagosa Springs (and Durango) would really round out CO nicely, although something along US 550, maybe Silverton or Ouray would really be nice too (to avoid going through Mountain Village going up to US 50).
Then, adding Kayenta, and supplementing Farmington, and this whole region would be awesome for Tesla travel!

Yeah, adding Pagosa Springs (and Durango) would really round out CO nicely, although something along US 550, maybe Silverton or Ouray would really be nice too (to avoid going through Mountain Village going up to US 50).
Then, adding Kayenta, and supplementing Farmington, and this whole region would be awesome for Tesla travel!
Tesla has already been awarded state grants for supercharger installations in Durango, Pagosa Springs, and Cortez among other locations: Grants Awarded for Tesla in CO

We are dreaming at this point but I hope it happens sooner than later

Durango (or even Farmington) to Montrose is a trivial distance for any Tesla. It is helped by slow speeds and thin air, since the entire route is at fairly high altitude (meaning that it takes fewer EPA Rated Miles than the actual distance). I've done it many times. No need for Supercharger Stations in Ouray or Silverton, although Ouray is a popular vacation destination, especially in summer.

The somewhat longer route route from Cortez to Mountain Village Supercharger Station to Ridgway to Montrose, via SH 145 and Lizard Head Pass, is sometimes easier than US 550 over Red Mountain Pass in snowy weather, albeit a bit less scenic. Red Mountain Pass to Ouray is notable for a narrow road, steep dropoffs with no guard rails, avalanches, and rock falls. And terrific scenery. Well worth driving in nice weather.

This from an EV early adopter who has lived in little Ouray County (population about 5000) for twenty-five years.

US 550 between Red Mountain Pass and Ouray:
Model S on US550 2292-93sf 6-24-19.jpg
Model S at Red Mountain Pass20231014_164957165.jpg

Reactions: 85Drew and fhteagle
I am sure it's physically possible, I was more commenting on whether the city would want to give up an additional 1-3 spaces for the trailer pull through slot. That and I remember the parking spaces being striped pretty narrow, I assume to try to fit the maximum number of spaces into that lot. Would be glad to see em put a trailer pull through spot in, but not holding my breath lol.

It's a couple of blocks walk to the river side. Nice sitting areas by the Doubletree especially. Just keep your head on a swivel for bikes and some other folks coming up out of the more hidden areas along that path.

Let me throw this out there: since Durango is now officially in the works, let's focus our next round of voting on Pagosa (Springs), CO, Kayenta, AZ and Cuba, NM to continue to fill in the Supercharger wasteland that is the Four Corners area.

let's focus our next round of voting on Pagosa (Springs), CO, Kayenta, AZ and Cuba, NM

Throw in Cortez, CO and you have a deal!

(yes I know it's not in this round of voting, and it's on the CO NEVI announced locations list, but I'm still trying to manifest sooner any way I can lol)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231213-110748_X-plore.png
    Screenshot_20231213-110748_X-plore.png
    367.6 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: gt2690b and 85Drew
Durango (or even Farmington) to Montrose is a trivial distance for any Tesla. It is helped by slow speeds and thin air, since the entire route is at fairly high altitude (meaning that it takes fewer EPA Rated Miles than the actual distance). I've done it many times. No need for Supercharger Stations in Ouray or Silverton, although Ouray is a popular vacation destination, especially in summer.

The somewhat longer route route from Cortez to Mountain Village Supercharger Station to Ridgway to Montrose, via SH 145 and Lizard Head Pass, is sometimes easier than US 550 over Red Mountain Pass in snowy weather, albeit a bit less scenic. Red Mountain Pass to Ouray is notable for a narrow road, steep dropoffs with no guard rails, avalanches, and rock falls. And terrific scenery. Well worth driving in nice weather.

This from an EV early adopter who has lived in little Ouray County (population about 5000) for twenty-five years.

US 550 between Red Mountain Pass and Ouray:
I did Montrose to Farmington a couple years ago, but with the distance, elevation changes, cold battery, cold temps, wind, extra weight, etc., it seemed to be a little more of a stretch than I was comfortable with.
Well, mostly because I didn’t want to full charge a cold battery in Montrose, and I was unfamiliar with US-550, and the wife is uncomfortable with <20% est. arrival, and i didn’t have CCS as an option then, etc. (we have lost >20% est arrival a couple times on a couple segments over the years; made things a little tense). :)
So, we went through Mountain Village and Telluride, which was really cool, and picked up another supercharger for my list.
I guess once Durango is in, the need for Ouray or Silverton is indeed less…