Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Database

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually what I'm considering doing, being a cheapskate, is to install a 14-50 plug, but use the wires from a 14-30 plug on the other side of the wall in the laundry. That plug, intended for a dryer, is unused.

Why not install a 14-30 plug, and buy a 14-30 adapter from Tesla? You will be OK with the 14-50, since you know that you have to manually dial back to 24 A on the car's touchscreen. However, if someone else uses your plug, they may not get the message. Or, if something happens to you, and your place is sold as is, the next owner will not know.

Also, if you are ever in a hurry and forget to dial back to 24 A, you will wish you had bought the 14-30 adapter!

GSP

Why not install a 14-30 plug, and buy a 14-30 adapter from Tesla? You will be OK with the 14-50, since you know that you have to manually dial back to 24 A on the car's touchscreen. However, if someone else uses your plug, they may not get the message. Or, if something happens to you, and your place is sold as is, the next owner will not know. Also, if you are ever in a hurry and forget to dial back to 24 A, you will wish you had bought the 14-30 adapter! GSP
I do have a question. I just assumed that the Model S would adjust dynamically to the power (amperage) that it reads via the charger cable. Does that make sense? So, if you have a 14-50 circuit that drops to the amperage of a 14-30 circuit, that the MS charger will sense it and adjust automatically. Is this how you understand it?

Why not install a 14-30 plug, and buy a 14-30 adapter from Tesla? You will be OK with the 14-50, since you know that you have to manually dial back to 24 A on the car's touchscreen. However, if someone else uses your plug, they may not get the message. Or, if something happens to you, and your place is sold as is, the next owner will not know.

Also, if you are ever in a hurry and forget to dial back to 24 A, you will wish you had bought the 14-30 adapter!

GSP
Using a 14-30 adapter was my first choice, but it is not currently available. And I also was of the understanding that the Tesla adjusts to the amperage provided and does not need it to be manually entered. Though that would certainly be easy to do.

Using a 14-30 adapter was my first choice, but it is not currently available. And I also was of the understanding that the Tesla adjusts to the amperage provided and does not need it to be manually entered. Though that would certainly be easy to do.

My read of this post is the opposite. That you would need to adjust it manually...
J1772 Adapter for Model S - Page 6

I'm traveling from NorCal to AZ on Dec 27. I plan on using the following Superchargers on the following dates and est times:
Harris Ranch - 12/27 - 8:30 - 9:30 AM
Tejon - 12/27 - 11:30 - 12:30 pm
Barstow - 12/27 - 4:30 pm - 6:00 pm

If anyone out there plans on being at those locations near those times, pm me and we can exchange cell numbers to coordinate enroute. With all the S's being pumped out, I suspect there will start to be demand for SC time.

Plans are slightly changing. I've decided to not try and do the trip in 2 days, as my arrival time at the Kingman, AZ KOA would be around 9 PM pst. And that assumes I don't have any waits at the Superchargers along the way. So think I'll spend the night at Tejon, and then get to Barstow mid-day. I'm concerned that the 28th being the Friday before New Year's, and with Las Vegas being a popular destination for LA folks, I'd better be prepared for a wait in Barstow. Hopefully a Supercharger location between Calif & Phoenix is being planned. Be nice to have for my return trip next May!