Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Crossville, TN - Genesis Road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Construction has *really* got underway now. Photo attached.
325987517_1181641376078400_240399411034511210_n.jpg

Last edited:
@Jeremy3292 you think Crossville, TN supports 24 V3 chargers? This is more chargers than anywhere else in the state, and one of the largest in the region.
Your entire basis is incorrect.

Superchargers are for travelers not locals and there is no such thing as "too many" superchargers.

There is no "lack of planning" here either as the 8 stall site was put in 2021.

Buc-ees is a national partner, which is why you see an additional 16 stalls being put in here.

When the supply of Superchargers is limited, then there is most definitely such a thing as "too many" supercharges in an area.

Put those 8 chargers at the winery in Murfreesboro or Clarksville instead and I guarantee they get more usage.

The chargers at Buccees is the right move. They messed up by putting the chargers at the winery a year ago when they knew these chargers were coming at the same exit. That's the poor planning I was referring to.

When the supply of Superchargers is limited, then there is most definitely such a thing as "too many" supercharges in an area.

Put those 8 chargers at the winery in Murfreesboro or Clarksville instead and I guarantee they get more usage.

The chargers at Buccees is the right move. They messed up by putting the chargers at the winery a year ago when they knew these chargers were coming at the same exit. That's the poor planning I was referring to.
You can't see the forest for the trees.

There was a gap on the map in 2021, so Tesla filled it. Two years later a new Buc-ees is going in, a national partner, so more superchargers are going in,

Pretty simple stuff.

It’s simple if you ignore all the other gaps that’s still exist that have zero chargers instead of this one now with one of the largest combined installations in the region. Checkout some of the massive gaps in the west and tell me Crossville needed 24 chargers before any of those.

The winery chargers were under construction circa June 2021 and came online Oct 15 2021. The nation wide agreement with Buc-ee's was established mid November 2021. All Buc-ee's installations happened quite quickly and I don't think anybody "knew" beforehand how fast things could happen with Buc-ee's on either a national or local scale. I've charged at the winery, and found it to be "adequate" but hours are sadly limited. Buc-ee's experience is far better and frankly in a different league.

I'm guessing that you've never been to a Buc-ee's, but they a deluxe 24 hour operation with everything a Tesla owner could want (significant understatement). They also like to do things to excess, with stellar restrooms, 100+ gas pumps and 20+ Superchargers. Buc-ee's is essentially a gas station and convenience store the size of a Wal-mart. For Tesla owners, this is a good thing.

Murfreesboro and Clarksville may or may not get chargers soon. The best strategy for that to happen would be to push for a Buc-ee's at either or both, and the chargers will follow. Buc-ee's has the best relationship with Tesla for progress and they are good at "getting things done".

Thank you for the expert analysis TSLA Bull.

I was the one to report these chargers under construction yesterday. When I was….. at the Buc-ees

I regret ever saying something negative about Tesla on this forum. What was I thinking.

Last edited:
It’s simple if you ignore all the other gaps that’s still exist that have zero chargers instead of this one now with one of the largest combined installations in the region. Checkout some of the massive gaps in the west and tell me Crossville needed 24 chargers before any of those.
Supercharger citing and timing is not an exact science. I'm sure many never make it through the location, agreement, permitting, utility, and other steps to become a supercharger; some take months others well over a year. When putting in 8 stalls, expanding to 12 or 16 is a small additional current cost and significantly cheaper than building an additional site later.

My guess is some superchargers are located strategically to fill gaps or handle capacity, while others are located opportunistically where a site just falls in their lap and gets done. Tesla seems to be doing just fine with superchargers - though I'm sure if you or I were running the group we would certainly be doing better. :)

I've never been to a supercharger and thought, "damn there are too many stalls here!". I've been to many where I thought, "should've put in 8 more".
Disclosure: never seen a TV I thought was too big either.

Many people opining about the Tesla Supercharger network or any DC Fast Charging network for that matter mistakenly think DC Fast Charging is either for long distance travel or local quick charging for those who choose to live where they cannot charge overnight. This is one of the very first things I contemplated back in 2015 when I bought my Tesla Model S. Since then my thinking about the matter has evolved to understand both are valid points of reason depending on the location. Simply put it doesn't have to be one or the other. Furthermore, time will either validate one's opinion or not so it doesn't really matter since after all it is just a matter of time.

DCFC is simply for fast charging. Trips, locals that don't have charging, Ubers/Taxis... It is for all of the above.

In the early days of supercharging there was a raging debate about locals clogging superchargers that were intended for travelers, with people selectively quoting Elon / Tesla to make their point. Tesla even sent a message to users about local charging, and there were theories that Tesla was/would throttle supercharging for those locals over-using the chargers. Supercharging usage has certainly evolved since then, including no more unlimited supercharging with the purchase of the car.

Somehow, it has all worked out. Locals would generally charge during off-peak times - no point in waiting in line or sharing a charger at the V2 sites. Superchargers are like roads - empty most of the time, but packed at heavy travel times. We want superchargers to be able to handle the peak travel days, so the other 99% of the time they will be underutilized.

A supercharger in an urban area on a busy travel route is ideal. During peak travel time, pretty much 100% is available to travelers - locals are staying the hell away from the mayhem. During less busy times, they are utilized by locals and travelers, generating some revenue and making the site financially sustainable to be there during the crunch times.

Thank you for the expert analysis TSLA Bull.

I was the one to report these chargers under construction yesterday. When I was….. at the Buc-ees

I regret ever saying something negative about Tesla on this forum. What was I thinking.
You had a few details wrong, and I tried to fill in with some of the history. We're all on the same team here. Your input is appreciated; please continue to contribute.

Why do you say there is a limited supply of Superchargers?

I haven't seen any evidence of limited supply of Supercharger hardware. Rather, if anything is the bottleneck, it would be sites willing to host Superchargers, permitting bodies willing to approve installations, and the equipment that utilities need to supply (i.e. transformers) to outfit a given site. Another possibility of a bottleneck on the Tesla side is lack of personnel in the field to scout and shepherd projects through the system (including partnering with regional installation teams). I bet if you were to look more closely into the gaps you mention out west, you would find the reason is not a lack of Supercharger hardware.