Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Columbia, SC - Forest Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to look at it around dawn yesterday (Fri, Oct 21).It is encouraging that transformer is in place, since this can sometimes cause months of delay.
IMG_0170.jpeg
Went by this afternoon couple people were working on the electrical system for the chargers and power washing the asphalt.

Last Sunday, I asked workman if he knew when it might open. He replied "two weeks" -- which would make it around Nov 13. I went by before dawn this morning -- still roped off and some supplies still on-site, but to the naive observer (i.e., me) everything appears in place. Still work to be done.

BTW, as expected, power cabinets are 500 volts, even though dispensers are version 4. Pardon the blurry picture below.

1698841656607.png

• Informative
Reactions: ChrisC
Last Sunday, I asked workman if he knew when it might open. He replied "two weeks" -- which would make it around Nov 13. I went by before dawn this morning -- still roped off and some supplies still on-site, but to the naive observer (i.e., me) everything appears in place. Still work to be done.

BTW, as expected, power cabinets are 500 volts, even though dispensers are version 4. Pardon the blurry picture below.

View attachment 986999
I'm wondering.. follow me for a minute here... in electric code, certain things are required if the voltage exceeds 150v from ground. But these rules don't apply to 120/240 split phase because 240v is really -120 to +120. It's always less than 150v from ground. So with that out of the way, 500v might be the output of a given power module inside, and when they are stacked to make 1000v, they might just be -500 to +500 relative to earth ground. Just wishful thinking.

I'm wondering.. follow me for a minute here... in electric code, certain things are required if the voltage exceeds 150v from ground. But these rules don't apply to 120/240 split phase because 240v is really -120 to +120. It's always less than 150v from ground. So with that out of the way, 500v might be the output of a given power module inside, and when they are stacked to make 1000v, they might just be -500 to +500 relative to earth ground. Just wishful thinking.
Interesting thought. Since the system must match the instantaneous DC voltage of each charging vehicle, I suppose modules in two cabinets would have to coordinate and track the voltage. Seems unlikely, but I'm no engineer, and I'd love to be wrong.