Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Clayton, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. Have made the trip Dallas to CO multiple times in my S85, granted in summertime. Used to always go through Amarillo before owning the Tesla.

I think it is an easier/less stressful drive regardless of vehicle type. It’s all divided interstate and there are more places to stop and eat, or spend the night too if you need.

Even when Clayton opens, not sure I would go that way vs Kansas.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
From Denver to Fort Worth or reverse, google shows a time difference of less than 1 hour between the Amarillo route and the Kansas route. Seems to me if you end up driving even 5-10 mph slower to make certain your ok TO or FROM Amarillo. Or if you end up stopping at a Lvl 2 for 30 minutes to an hour to add a bit of cushion, or maybe do both of these..........
You could drive as fast as you like through Kansas and never have to worry since superchargers are abundant. Plus never really need to charge over 80% so time at chargers is reduced overall.
If you try to top off in Amarillo you will be there a LONG time trying to get near 100% unless of course your planning an overnight.
just seems easier and less stressful to go through Kansas, and maybe the same overall “trip time”
Albeit not as nice a drive through the Raton pass and mountains I guess.
Am I wrong or missing something?

That’s been my take as well.

From Denver to Fort Worth or reverse, google shows a time difference of less than 1 hour between the Amarillo route and the Kansas route. Seems to me if you end up driving even 5-10 mph slower to make certain your ok TO or FROM Amarillo. Or if you end up stopping at a Lvl 2 for 30 minutes to an hour to add a bit of cushion, or maybe do both of these..........
You could drive as fast as you like through Kansas and never have to worry since superchargers are abundant. Plus never really need to charge over 80% so time at chargers is reduced overall.
If you try to top off in Amarillo you will be there a LONG time trying to get near 100% unless of course your planning an overnight.
just seems easier and less stressful to go through Kansas, and maybe the same overall “trip time”
Albeit not as nice a drive through the Raton pass and mountains I guess.
Am I wrong or missing something?
You're not wrong. The route is also similar if you drive through Las Vegas, NM to Supercharge. Once there is an actual Supercharger in Clayton it will be game over though.

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 8.02.16 PM.png

That’s the first time I’ve seen a quarter estimate associated with that map

Also several moved to 2022?? That’s odd.

Maybe they’re just being more realistic? They gotta fill in those big 40 mile gaps in CA and FL before you can worry about those pesky middle of nowhere areas. We can only hope that a few superchargers fall off the transport truck on their way to FL and Tesla just decides to just install them where they landed.... It’s also possible that some of those 2022 chargers will be installed this year, that way they’ll be “ahead of schedule”.

I don't think it's kept on the public site, but I suppose that data may be hiding somewhere on the Data page. You could try contacting one of the administrators over there or @Chuq or @MarcoRP here at TMC.
Wassup?! Sorry, got a lot of free time rn so will be able to answer any questions about upcoming locations (don’t ask here, I’ll create a thread). I’m also high so dw if my answers sound ****ed up

Wassup?! Sorry, got a lot of free time rn so will be able to answer any questions about upcoming locations (don’t ask here, I’ll create a thread). I’m also high so dw if my answers sound ****ed up

We're just looking for stats on things like sites that had permits or even construction that ended up not completing and being removed from the list. How long a site might have had a permit and never was built and the permit was removed. Etc.

But I don't want to interrupt your green airplane. Enjoy your flight ;)

I have to believe if Tesla has marked this as Q1 2021 it will probably happen. Unfortunately, not many travelers taking that route right now to check in on It. Who knows, They may have started construction already.

On another note, the Cody, Wy. Pin is gone. This sucks. They really need a supercharger on the west side of the bighorns. (Greybull, WY) We love Camping out there, but near Zero EV charging infrastructure. Just 2 20 kW L2 chargers in Cody. Last year I really wanted to take the Tesla out there camping, but we had to take our Volt instead due to lack of charging options. I wish Tesla would At least consider installing some of those Palletized units in the remote areas to allow summer tourism in the Off Interstate regions

We're just looking for stats on things like sites that had permits or even construction that ended up not completing and being removed from the list. How long a site might have had a permit and never was built and the permit was removed. Etc.

But I don't want to interrupt your green airplane. Enjoy your flight ;)
I don't know the exact stats, but very few have been deleted from supercharge.info. We maintain a spreadsheet for our Superchargers Visited game, and do very few deletes.

Here are some numbers that may help:
Number of superchargers currently in supercharge.info is 2348
Highest supercharger id (assigned sequentially) with the first one being 100 is 2652
We have 15 in our spreadsheet that were opened than closed, and were deleted from supercharge.info
(our spreadsheet only has US, Canada)

Superchargers that were opened then closed are now kept in supercharge.info and marked as closed. I've never personally deleted a supercharger from supercharge.info, but I know it happens.

"Coming Soon" superchargers on the Tesla "find us" page are not put in supercharge.info until there is a permit of other evidence that it is real, so it is not a source for determining locations dropped from the "find us" page.

Last edited: