Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Buena Park, CA (removed from car nav 31 Aug 2018 but still operational, 8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking it out of NAV is a great disservice to any visitor in the area running low on juice, even if there are two superchargers in Downey. Right off the I-5 corridor, Buena Park has always been quite busy, which should have triggered construction in nearby Cerritos, Anaheim, and Tustin.
The Find Us page on Tesla’s website shows that there are Superchargers planned for Cerritos, Lakewood, Anaheim, and Tustin. One or more of them may well be under construction right now and we just don’t know about it yet.

I drove by there today at 1 pm. All spots were taken.
Since you're in Brea, please keep an eye on the Target store on Birch Street. Tesla's map still shows Brea as a coming-in-2018 site, and given Target's partnership with Tesla, it's almost certain to be the location.

At least some of the load on the Buena Park supercharger must be coming from North O.C., and a Brea supercharger would take up that part. (More selfishly, I could avoid the I-5 crawl through downtown L.A., and get out of town on the 210, by way of 57 or 605.)

Last edited:
Since you're in Brea, please keep an eye on the Target store on Birch Street. Tesla's map still shows Brea as a coming-in-2018 site, and given Target's partnership with Tesla, it's almost certain to be the location.
Nothing there yet unfortunately. I don't think any of the Target locations around the Orange County have had any (visible) work started on them yet.

(Moderator note: the post that @thecloud is responding to was removed because it violated TMC rules. If anyone has questions about that please PM me. Thank you.)
————————————————————————

I-5 is not always the optimal route through LA.

If you start out from the Brea area with a reasonably full charge, and you are heading north to San Jose, you probably don't want to take 57 south to Santa Ana and then hit stop-and-go traffic all the way up I-5 through the perpetual construction zone. More likely, you will want to take 210 west, via 57 or 605. Taking I-5 through downtown LA usually adds 30-45 minutes to the trip, in my experience.

However, let's say you're staying at a convenient hotel in the Brea area. It has no destination charging, and so you start with a lower state of charge, such that you can't even make it to Santa Clarita. A local supercharger stop is needed, and hopefully one that isn't super-crowded (like Burbank, Buena Park, or Santa Ana) or many miles out of the way (like San Clemente or SJC). I used Downey on a recent trip, but then it took an hour to clear downtown afterward, because it's I-5. Probably should have back-tracked and taken 605 north instead.

Anyway, the point is that a future Brea supercharger will help open up the 57 as an alternate route, hopefully avoiding the need to use the Buena Park supercharger or its I-5 neighbors. :)

At least some of the load on the Buena Park supercharger must be coming from North O.C., and a Brea supercharger would take up that part. (More selfishly, I could avoid the I-5 crawl through downtown L.A., and get out of town on the 210, by way of 57 or 605.)

I recently drove through all parking structures that the city owns to see if any signs of construction started but nothing. The city of Brea also has no permits currently that say Tesla or Supercharger on it. The city is pretty EV friendly. They have 4 plugs in the downtown area and 3 at the city hall, all for free. That's why I assume they might use one of the downtown parking structures for the Supercharger location.
The Target location is possible as well. I will keep an eye on it!

Taking it out of NAV is a great disservice to any visitor in the area running low on juice, even if there are two superchargers in Downey. Right off the I-5 corridor, Buena Park has always been quite busy, which should have triggered construction in nearby Cerritos, Anaheim, and Tustin.

I know what you mean, but living in this area I would actually say it's more of a service. The Buena Park location is almost always busy and it's difficult to line up if you have to wait. I think it is better for the navigation to direct drivers to any of the other locations along the I5. Especially the Downey locations are such a better alternative and I have yet to see them full at any time of the day. Taking it off the navigation will lead to better user experience in this case.

I know what you mean, but living in this area I would actually say it's more of a service.

Local or not, I think all Tesla owners should have equal access to available Tesla services. I'm off on another road trip in about three weeks to states and cities, where I've never charged. It wouldn't be right not to have the supercharger location on NAV, when it was really open for locals only in the know. Not very Tesla-friendly. We just need a bit more focus and execution from Tesla to make the congestion problem go away.

Local or not, I think all Tesla owners should have equal access to available Tesla services. I'm off on another road trip in about three weeks to states and cities, where I've never charged. It wouldn't be right not to have the supercharger location on NAV, when it was really open for locals only in the know. Not very Tesla-friendly. We just need a bit more focus and execution from Tesla to make the congestion problem go away.

No one would be happy if the navigation system would direct you to a location that is almost always busy when there are several other alternatives that are almost always available. I can understand why Tesla made the decision to not show the location any more. It's causing more frustration and bad experiences than helping anyone. But I agree it should not completely disappear from the map.

Reactions: David99
To add to @mblakele 's comment, supercharge.info seems to go by the premise of "mapping what is actually on the ground". If there are supercharger stalls accessible, even if they aren't on Tesla's map, they will be included. If the stalls are physically removed then sc.info will remove the dot (gets marked as "temporarily closed" for a while first, then deleted).

Reactions: Ulmo
I'm not BlueShift, but I'll mention the original Burbank site: Supercharger - Burbank (At Service Center, no longer on nav map)

You can still see it on supercharge.info and even Find Us | Tesla shows that the service center has six SuC stalls. However I believe it isn't shown on the vehicle map anymore.

I understand about Burbank, but Burbank's webpage still lists the Superchargers. Buena Park no longer does.

To add to @mblakele 's comment, supercharge.info seems to go by the premise of "mapping what is actually on the ground". If there are supercharger stalls accessible, even if they aren't on Tesla's map, they will be included. If the stalls are physically removed then sc.info will remove the dot (gets marked as "temporarily closed" for a while first, then deleted).

That (simple removal) would be my guess as well. I was just wondering if there is any precedent here. If I look at the "Changes" page, I see plenty of "Temporarily Closed," but after a quick scan, I don't see any examples of a permanent closure or removal.

I understand about Burbank, but Burbank's webpage still lists the Superchargers. Buena Park no longer does.

That (simple removal) would be my guess as well. I was just wondering if there is any precedent here. If I look at the "Changes" page, I see plenty of "Temporarily Closed," but after a quick scan, I don't see any examples of a permanent closure or removal.
He's definitely removed some locations from supercharge.info, but maybe there isn't any record once the location is removed. But like Chuq said, if the chargers work and are still open to the public, he will leave them on supercharge.info regardless of what Tesla does on its website or in the nav.

This seems to be an end-of-quarter issue for the service centers that also have Superchargers. Rocklin, Dublin, and Salt Lake City all show as "reduced service" on the Nav and if you navigate to them, a message pops up that says "Temporary Closure". I ignored the message and stopped by Rocklin yesterday and the Superchargers were working. Lots of deliveries and lots of new cars being charged, though, which supports my theory that Tesla is trying to make sure they don't have a full supercharger preventing a customer delivery for the next few weeks.

Reactions: Ulmo
This seems to be an end-of-quarter issue for the service centers that also have Superchargers. Rocklin, Dublin, and Salt Lake City all show as "reduced service" on the Nav and if you navigate to them, a message pops up that says "Temporary Closure". I ignored the message and stopped by Rocklin yesterday and the Superchargers were working. Lots of deliveries and lots of new cars being charged, though, which supports my theory that Tesla is trying to make sure they don't have a full supercharger preventing a customer delivery for the next few weeks.
I noticed the same at Blue Ash, OH (Cincinnati), so maybe they are doing this at all service center superchargers.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo and David99