Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Buellton, CA (temporary closure)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped by the two SC's closest to me: Vandenberg Village (Lompoc) and Buellton, The VV unit has the xfrmr installed and there is a 200 yard trench covered by dirt and steel Plates that runs to Constellation Rd where i assume it ties into the grid Seems like: tie it in both ends and pave the trench.. one week?

Attachments

• IMG_5371.jpg
    IMG_5371.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5374.jpg
    IMG_5374.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Informative
Reactions: DoItDiff
It looks like Buellton station is close. The trench has been paved, lines are marked and bollards installed. There are a few pieces of equipment sitting to the side, not yet installed and still in protective covers (cabinets maybe). No charging posts on site yet. Stopped by on Sunday Mar 31.

• Informative
Reactions: 2TNE
Pictures of sites under construction are hugely helpful because they don't rely on the poster's interpretation as to what the current state actually is. Some people think "it's done" when they see posts and cabinets in place, but a lot of times that last step of getting the utility transformer can take months. Those of us who have followed this for years have seen all kinds of crazy things happen.

So I'm gonna agree with @israndy that if there are no posts installed, Tesla still has work to do, and the lack of a utility transformer means there is a highly variable delay in the process. I'm envisioning (having to use my imagination a bit because...no pictures) something that's at least weeks or months away from opening. I guess that's "close" on a geologic timescale :))), but probably not what a lot of people here would think.

Let me recommend perusing the first post in the following thread, particularly the FAQs in the "C" (for "Construction") section.:

Bruce.

I agree that many times the wait for a transformer to be delivered/installed can be excruciatingly long. However, regarding this Supercharger location, is it not the case that there is already a transformer on site? I'm wondering if that old transformer can be used to power the new cabinets and posts. If so, that could really hasten the location's opening date.

Reactions: Falcon73
That would be crazy. The size of a transformer for a business is typically minuscule compared to the one needed for a Supercharger. Didn't stop me from thinking that was what they were gonna do at the latest Dublin Supercharger as I didn't see a poured pad anywhere. The more transformers deployed the easier it is to swap out in case of an issue. Sure, you could just have one giant unit for your entire town, but if it went out the replacement costs would be substantial and everyone would be w/o power until it happened.

Reactions: Falcon73
Sorry for not being clear. This site was already a Supercharger site, right? Previously, there were 10 V2-style posts here. All those posts/cabinets have been torn out as part of the site upgrade to V3-style equipment. But did they yank out the transformer, too? I think I can see it in a picture posted on March 19th, but I'm not totally sure. Here's hoping that the transformer is beefy enough to run the upgraded equipment, and does not need to be swapped out.

Buellton upgrade is moving right along. No charger posts yet but fresh paving and the lines are freshly painted, the pre-existing xfrmr is still there, the cabinets are in place but not fully incovered and bolted down. This'll be a nice stop once it's activated. I was interested in the wiring that goes out to the posts. There's two 8Ga conductors (red and white) and a bunch of 18Ga signal wires(?).

Attachments

• IMG_5484.jpg
    IMG_5484.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5483.jpg
    IMG_5483.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5487.jpg
    IMG_5487.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 5
Buellton is coming right along. I took a bunch of photos but they're saved as .HEIC files which are too large to attach here. Emailing them to myself allowed them to be reduced in size. I was surprised to see they are using Aluminum large gauge wire. All but two or three pedestals are in. Paving and white lines look great. Packing covers still on the inverter cabinets (5) but the switchgear cabinets looks pretty well bolted down and read to go.

Attachments

• Comin_toV4.jpg
    Comin_toV4.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1
  • SignalCable.jpg
    SignalCable.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1
  • LookinGood.jpg
    LookinGood.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1
  • ALpwrCables.jpg
    ALpwrCables.jpg