Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Albuquerque NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more point of reference on Shamrock to Tucumcari. Headed west into 20+ mph winds, I had to drive 60mph (15 under the speed limit) for three hours and arrived with 10 miles left. Headed east at or a little above the speed limit arrived in Shamrock with 29 miles left. Don't forget westbound is up hill too.

So I just completed the loop from OKC to ABQ up to Green River and over to Salina and back to OKC. My drive from Shamrock to Tucumcari was really late a night and I had slight headwinds but I made it with 30+ miles range left on my 85D (270 RM when full). I did drive 65 most of the way with cruise control but where possible, I used the Neutral-coasting technique to really build up speed when going downhill for long stretches. That really adds miles to the range not from charging but from using zero kWh for several miles. I guess the efficient body makes kinetic energy build-up more efficient than potential energy build-up in the batteries.

Stayed overnight in Santa Rosa where I charged to 100% and then recharged at the Green Lots CHAdeMO by Dave & Busters in ABQ for 30 minutes to make it to Farmington. That Shamrock to Tucumcari leg was the closest I got to running out on my entire trip (which included legs from Houston to OKC and from Green River to SLC) but if you're careful, you should make it comfortably. In two years, most of this will be moot.

image.jpg

No meter, so no power yet.

Scoots

Thanks for the info...super cool! A lit up Tesla symbol! Can not wait to see that!

Polly Wog

Oh duh...how did I not think to check that! A meter! What a novel concept! :frown:

i hate to say it, but when PNM did not show on Friday I had a feeling it was going to set things back more than just one workday...was hoping I was wrong but...every once in a while I'm right. Law of averages I guess... Hope they get things connected soon. Can't wait to see all the Model S's lined up at the supercharger!

Judging from prior experience waiting on superchargers to go live, unless there is something exceptional about this situation, the power company will have already made power available on site. Each supercharger site must be tested by an independent certifying company (similar to Underwriters Lab) before it is officially turned on. Usually a Tesla employee meets the certifying tech on site to perform the test. We are probably waiting on this to happen.

scoots

Looks to me that this is a jumper which will provide power... just not metered.
The utility may have provided this for "testing" purposes and will install a meter once everything is set up properly.

I think that you may be correct! OTOH, most Superchargers use more current than that and the meters are usually CT based without the full current going through the meter.

Here is an enlargement of the key area:

ABQ-Jumpers.jpg

What I am curious to see once this opens is what the ICEing situation is going to be, or already is, when Applebee's is hoppin' with customers at peak lunch and peak dinner times. Hoping for the best, but kinda expecting the worst. I will add though that I am pleased that four of the new supercharger spaces are drive-forward-in, rather than back-in. Having those "electricity pumps" sticking out between the parking spaces may hopefully give a would-be ICEr a moment of pause.

What I am curious to see once this opens is what the ICEing situation is going to be, or already is, when Applebee's is hoppin' with customers at peak lunch and peak dinner times. Hoping for the best, but kinda expecting the worst. I will add though that I am pleased that four of the new supercharger spaces are drive-forward-in, rather than back-in. Having those "electricity pumps" sticking out between the parking spaces may hopefully give a would-be ICEr a moment of pause.

Does it snow there? If so, plowing might be tricky with the chargers out in the parking lot instead of at the edge. Seems the SCs could be more easily damaged there.

Finally! I've been watching the construction progress and even tried to charge the day they took the cones down, thinking it was all ready to go. I reached out to a friend of mine at PNM to try and find out when it may be powered up and usable, but never heard back. I'll cruise by on Wednesday. Thanks for the info, Frank. I look forward to meeting more local Tesla folks!

Despite the likelihood it wouldn't be open yet, I stopped in this afternoon anyway. As of 5:15 pm, it is still not powered up. A word of warning to people not local to the area: the main Albuquerque street from which you gain access to the Supercharger, Menaul, is under significant construction. In fact, it is pretty much closed from the West direction. The best access is from the East. I'm attaching a picture from in front of the Applebee's.
image.jpg