Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercapacitor News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect that a vehicle powered by supercapacitors would be charged by other supercapacitors, and the charging conduit would not be a 2" diameter cable but instead a large number of conductors that connect underneath the car. The supercapacitors on the charger side would provide the power storage necessary to do a quick charge, while the multiple connections under the car would provide sufficient conductors to allow large current flow. The charging side supercaps would then be charged at a slower rate via a connection to the grid.

I could see a charge like this taking about 2 minutes, perhaps faster.

• Informative
Reactions: Viking1
Sorry for the naive question, but would it be possible to charge a traditional battery pack with super-capacitors? In other words, could I slip a couple capacitors of some form into say a frunk slot or two and then be charging my batteries over the next 10 minutes as I drive away and the capacitors "unload" into the traditional battery pack?

I always envisioned the next step being sort of a charge-as-you-drive solution that can be swapped out like one would exchange an empty propane tank at Home Depot. Essentially a charged capacitor to do the job of a fuel cell in a vehicle, but much cheaper and not requiring the step of turning the electricity source to fuel and then back to electricity in the vehicle.

Sorry for the naive question, but would it be possible to charge a traditional battery pack with super-capacitors? In other words, could I slip a couple capacitors of some form into say a frunk slot or two and then be charging my batteries over the next 10 minutes as I drive away and the capacitors "unload" into the traditional battery pack?

I always envisioned the next step being sort of a charge-as-you-drive solution that can be swapped out like one would exchange an empty propane tank at Home Depot. Essentially a charged capacitor to do the job of a fuel cell in a vehicle, but much cheaper and not requiring the step of turning the electricity source to fuel and then back to electricity in the vehicle.

Cool! :cool: Very interesting. IMO the charge-as-you-drive idea is good. Hope that Tesla will consider this idea.

I can swear I saw a Tesla patent somewhere on this forum for just that. I beleive they are on it.