Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunroof not working at night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had any issues with the sunroof not opening due to colder temperatures (usually at night)?

I brought my 2014 S85 into service last week, whe and of course after testing, they concluded that everything is operational, probably because they worked on it during the day with warmer temps. They ignored the fact that I said it works during the day (albeit struggling) and will not open at night. They lubed the tracks, etc, etc, got it back and the issue isn't resolved.

I have a video documenting it not opening at night and will be more aggressive with getting this resolved but I was just wondering if this was a common issue.

Yeah, I'll schedule a follow up appointment with Dublin/Fremont SC. I'll make sure they see the video this time.

The sunroof has been fully operational, under all conditions/temps, until recently. My standard warranty is expiring in a week, now I'm leaning towards extending it.

my roof always had some issues like not working in differing temperatures and of course it really got bad right as my warranty was expiring. I ended up paying a little over 1k for new motors and rails + a bunch of other parts which was a much lower price than they meant to quote me. They replaced the motors and cables at least 3 times on 2 occasions but it still is not really fixed and they said a real fix would be ~$9k...claimed that it was a result of auto cross which is complete BS as there always was a 'sticky' problem. I think the original non parallel rail design has a bit too much friction. Why else would they have changed the entire sunroof mechanism to a V2 cartridge if the V1 was good enough?

• Informative
Reactions: tryfekid
also, someone on this forum with a '12 or '13 did have an entire V2 upgrade/replacement under warranty and they were complaining about wind noise after the fact. I assume the front valence panel was changed as part of the V2 upgrade but I thought that part was redesigned to produce less wind noise so not sure what was up with that?

Mine likes to stick to the seals and sometimes it can't open because of it unless I give it a little push upwards. Using some trim treatment on it usually fixes it for a few months. No idea if that's your issue though.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like my issue as though the trim and seals are contracting during cold weather and the sunroof is having a hard time sliding during the opening process. I tried helping it by giving it a push but that didn't work. I may have not forced it hard enough though.

What treatment do you use for the trim? I may try that out if I get nowhere with the SC.

I originally had an issue with the sticking (always? since the first lube wore off) that later ended up in a stripped gear on the left motor/cable. they replaced those parts for me under warranty but then the motors on each side were not properly synced so there was a L/R offset jiggle as it opened which seemed really bad. That is when I ended up paying to have it fixed but they could only replace all of the parts and lube it. It does seem to work ok for now but I try not to use it too often and mostly just vent it on hot days.

I have a 2013 S 85 and the leading edge of my sun roof was cracking. I brought it in for service and they told me the cables were wearing out and needed to be replaced. It has been a week and still waiting apparently they had a tough time aligning them. They also upgraded me to V2 since the new parts would not fit in the car. I will let you know if the new one has wind noise but I wonder if the cables or part of them got wet and freeze for you? Those cables that open the roof apparently run down the front pillars to a motor in the front of the car.