Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and visualizations stop working completely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had this issue 3 times now. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and found a solution. 2020 Model Y with FSD

Cruise control, auto steer, as well as driver assist features such as lane assist, auto cancelling turn signal are not working at all. I get an error message that says "cruise control unavailable". Also there are no FSD visualizations on the display. No cars, signs, stop lights, etc. All cameras seem to work just fine.

I tried resetting holding both steering wheel buttons and issue persists.

After several days/weeks a software update will become available and it resolves the issue but a few months later it will happen again.

Last time this happened, Tesla responded saying “this is a known characteristic of current firmware. The issue is expected to be resolved in a future over the air update.”

I’ve had this issue 3 times now. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and found a solution. 2020 Model Y with FSD

Cruise control, auto steer, as well as driver assist features such as lane assist, auto cancelling turn signal are not working at all. I get an error message that says "cruise control unavailable". Also there are no FSD visualizations on the display. No cars, signs, stop lights, etc. All cameras seem to work just fine.

I tried resetting holding both steering wheel buttons and issue persists.

After several days/weeks a software update will become available and it resolves the issue but a few months later it will happen again.

Last time this happened, Tesla responded saying “this is a known characteristic of current firmware. The issue is expected to be resolved in a future over the air update.”
Doing a two-button reset does not reboot the autopilot computer, only the MCU. You might try doing a full power-off of the car instead.

Are there any relavent notifications shown in service mode that might point to an intermittent hardware failure?

Have you tried reinstalling your current software to see if that clears up the problem at least temporarily? This will also reboot the whole car.

Doing a two-button reset does not reboot the autopilot computer, only the MCU. You might try doing a full power-off of the car instead.

Are there any relavent notifications shown in service mode that might point to an intermittent hardware failure?

Have you tried reinstalling your current software to see if that clears up the problem at least temporarily? This will also reboot the whole car.
I’m not sure how to use service mode and view notifications. Will google that.

I also didn’t know it is possible to reinstall the software, I presume that is also accessed via service mode and will look into that as well.

I do know that leaving the car overnight doesn’t help. If that’s what you mean by power off.

I have a lot to check into. Thank you so much for the suggestions!

More than a year ago during a road trip, this happened to me. Not sure if it is an identical problem, but I spent ages looking for solution and found one tip that worked for me. I have a SSD drive in place of the default flash drive, and I had to reformat the partitions.

It worked ever since, but I have no way to tell if you are experiencing the same issue.

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
Reinstalling the software fixed the issue for me! I’m not sure what any of these errors mean necessarily. I would think this is some sort of software issue since it is instantly resolved with a reinstall/update. But then again it isn’t happening to everyone. Hasn’t happened once with my Model 3.

Thank you again for the suggestions, I’m so happy to not have to wait weeks for an update to be able to use basic features of my car.

IMG_1554.jpeg
IMG_1555.jpeg
IMG_1556.jpeg

Yes, I am having the same issue (early 2021 Model Y)! Just posted about it here. And this is the third time it has happened (in the past two months). Service center said the same thing: wait for a software update.

I am thinking to try the Reinstall Software from the service menu. Has the issue returned after you did that? I am on version 2023.27.7 FSD 11.4.7 and it never happened before this version.

Yes, I am having the same issue (early 2021 Model Y)! Just posted about it here. And this is the third time it has happened (in the past two months). Service center said the same thing: wait for a software update.

I am thinking to try the Reinstall Software from the service menu. Has the issue returned after you did that? I am on version 2023.27.7 FSD 11.4.7 and it never happened before this version.
The likely reason that reinstalling software works is because the car reboots all the processors after the install is complete. If Tesla provided a control to force a full reboot of the car, not just the MCU, problems like this could be quickly fixed.

Reactions: ahankins

Issue has not come back yet but I’m not holding my breath. It’s a very easy (not scary) process. I say go for it. I’m happy that I can at least resolve the issue myself now.

Reactions: terraform