Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunday River Ski in Maine- 3 Tesla Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
no argument here I'm long on TSLA as they get it about total package car service charging
others playing catchup(BMW) or not even entering charging infrastructure game ( GM Ford)
waiting for CPO or M3 as volt replacement
just was hoping the loaf or SR could have provided $$ for Clipper creek

Go to Bretton Woods - I got them to put two 240V 50A NEMA 14-50s by the main hotel two years ago.

We charged at Sunday River on Jan 1. One of the three chargers did not work, but the other two were fine. Last year we used the Tesla charger at Sugarloaf (at the hotel entrance) and it worked fine, as well as the 14-50 at the Mt. Washington Hotel (thank you for getting that done), the J1772 at Killington (slow 13 mph), and the J1772 at Stowe (near the music hall). Are there other Level 2 chargers at the bigger ski hills of NE?

• Funny
Reactions: tga
Was there Tuesday February 6th in my Tesla.
Something new is just to the right of the Tesla chargers.
Reserved parking for BMWs.
I asked customer service about it and was told they are a corporate sponsor of Sunday River.
I asked if BMW was going to put in charging stations for their cars but this person did not know.
IMG_0432.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0432.JPG
    IMG_0432.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 44
I just used these last weekend. The middle was the only one that worked for me; the other two both flashed orange when plugged them in. This is the first time I think I've had a problem with a destination charger.

Having these there made the trip easy (especially since we were staying onsite overnight).

I just used these last weekend. The middle was the only one that worked for me; the other two both flashed orange when plugged them in. This is the first time I think I've had a problem with a destination charger.

Having these there made the trip easy (especially since we were staying onsite overnight).
jlv1, did you happen to notice if your car had "internet access" while at Sunday River?
I have been there 3 times this season and could never use the app to make sure it was charging OK.
When driving home yesterday, I did not have LTE service until I got to Paris, Maine about 25 miles away.

The previous 2 seasons I remember having things working properly since I could interrogate the car from the ski lodge.

jlv1, did you happen to notice if your car had "internet access" while at Sunday River?
I have been there 3 times this season and could never use the app to make sure it was charging OK.
When driving home yesterday, I did not have LTE service until I got to Paris, Maine about 25 miles away.

The previous 2 seasons I remember having things working properly since I could interrogate the car from the ski lodge.

3G here. My access at Sunday River has been about 50/50.

One problem I've had with their chargers is that people often leave them in the snow and then little bits of ice get in between the contacts. It's impossible to melt in subzero temps, and it stops the adapter from going all the way in. I keep a couple dental floss picks in my car for this purpose and it's come in handy both at Sunday River and at Killington. IMO it's a design flaw in the Tesla connector -- designed in California and it shows.

I hit this problem in Western MA last weekend at a Tesla destination charger.
I was pretty desperate, I even tried putting the heat on high and placing the charger at the vents.
The valet appeared with a pocket knife which has a toothpick which did the trick.

One problem I've had with their chargers is that people often leave them in the snow and then little bits of ice get in between the contacts. It's impossible to melt in subzero temps, and it stops the adapter from going all the way in. I keep a couple dental floss picks in my car for this purpose and it's come in handy both at Sunday River and at Killington. IMO it's a design flaw in the Tesla connector -- designed in California and it shows.
Not really a Tesla-specific problem. The standard J1772 connector suffers from the same thing.

Turn the heat up and hold the charge handle in front of a vent.

Well of course if today's firmware is listening to your commands to drive the vents only... :-/

Not really a Tesla-specific problem. The standard J1772 connector suffers from the same thing.

Hmm, that hasn't been my experience. When I've had this problem and a J1772 was available, the J1772 was fine. The J1772 openings are more voluminous, which helps.

Turn the heat up and hold the charge handle in front of a vent.

Well of course if today's firmware is listening to your commands to drive the vents only... :-/

I tried this but didn't have any luck. I guess I could have waited longer, but the dental pick route was a lot faster. They get really, really cold-soaked when they're sitting for days in subzero F temps.

Nope, the car had no LTE at the resort; like you we did not get it back until around Paris.

And because of that... I stupidly managed to lock myself out of the car. :( We were going to be there all weekend so I charged overnight starting Friday. First thing 7AM Saturday I went to go get the car. It had snowed 5" overnight so I had to clean it off. And since it was 15°F that morning, I thought I'd leave the heat running while cleaning off the car. Since I knew it would stop running the heat when I closed the door, I left the fob on the front seat. :oops:

It wasn't until I had finished cleaning off the car 5 minutes later that I realized it had locked itself with the fob inside. And without access, I couldn't unlock it from my phone. Really dumb of me.

Thankfully my wife had her fob, but up at the Jordon Hotel. She had to hop on the shuttle and come rescue me.

FWIW, the other two destination chargers were in use overnight, so I felt good freeing up a space first thing in the morning for anyone arriving during the day. But it also meant that they were able to use them without an issue (whereas I couldn't). I'm bringing the car in for service next week to have the charge port looked at.

Thanks for the report. At least we know it is not a car problem.
Good thing your wife had the second fob.
I wonder how Tesla would have handled the situation if she did not have it with her.

I also have been as far northeast as Rumford (15 miles) without service.
Plus the 25 miles southeast to Paris makes for a very large area without service.

I guess I should call Tesla if it is still not active next time I am there.

Nope, the car had no LTE at the resort; like you we did not get it back until around Paris.

It wasn't until I had finished cleaning off the car 5 minutes later that I realized it had locked itself with the fob inside. And without access, I couldn't unlock it from my phone. Really dumb of me.

@jlv1 Is this a setting or a timing thing? I've left my fob in the car before, when washing it in my driveway, sure the handles closed etc but just pressing the handle caused them to present and I was in the car just fine. Want to make sure I don't lock myself out in the future.

Reactions: chjch
I was at Sunday River last month. Stayed for 5 days. All 3 destination chargers work; however depending on the ice stuck in the charge plug, you'll get red or orange error codes. My 3G Model S had good reception there. Only 1 day out of the 5, there was another Tesla there; otherwise I was alone. Was nice to be topped off for the trip home. Ended up stopping at Hooksett SB for a bite to eat and another free topoff before getting home.

I was just at Sunday River again yesterday. Once again, only the middle destination charger worked for me. This time the other 2 both flashed red when I plugged them it. So it wasn't the snow in the handles as there was none around - it was 50 and a slight drizzle (although it was the last day of skiing on the mountain).

After last time I had the car checked out at the service center and they could not reproduce any issue with the charging port. I'm going to try reporting the destination chargers to Sunday River and Tesla.

Has anyone had issues with these?

Again, the car had no LTE service near the mountain... but I did get a phone notification when I was able to successfully start charging the car! I couldn't query it from the app (just timed out) but something was partially working. On the drive home I didn't pick up service until south of Paris.