Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunday River Ski in Maine- 3 Tesla Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I was there in February, I had issues with the cable closest to the mountain. Didn't work first day (consistently got red), but 2nd day, it worked consistently. I assumed it was due to snow. but who knows. They also fit loosely in my car, whereas my home UMC is a pretty snug fit.

We were up there again for several days last week. When I got there the destination charger in the middle and farthest from the lodge were in use; in the past only the middle one has worked for me. The one nearest the lodge went orange on me twice, but on the third try it started charging the car. Overnight I was back to 90%.

I also took the time and verified the existence of set of wall plugs (5-20 & TT-30) near the Grand Summit (plugshare). This is nice since we were staying at the Grand Summit and the destination charges are a 20 minute walk away (since no shuttles run in the summer).

jlv1, did you happen to notice if your car had "internet access" while at Sunday River?
Just arrived today for the first time this season.

Unlike in the past where we would LTE way down near Paris and not get it back, this year we had 3G service all the way to Bethel, and lost it only on the last few miles to SR.

Bad news: with 9.0 the maps don't seem to cache any resolution, so even though I panned the area while still in service, the maps in the car are now completely blank.

• Informative
Reactions: st50maint
The TT-30 near the Grand Summit doesn't seem to work. The mobile connector had a red indicator and the car was unable to charge. I was able to use the 5-20. It's a short walk to the hotel and quicker than waiting for the bus.

• Informative
this year we had 3G service all the way to Bethel, and lost it only on the last few miles to SR.
According to teslafi, the car reported it's location all the way until we parked at the South RIdge Lodge, where we went to pick up our season passes. It doesn't seem to have dropped the 3G connection until 2 minutes after we parked. It has not reconnected with 3G since, and we've since driven to Bethel and back.

Its really weird -- driving up the car drops back to 3G service, and the car stays on that until I get to SR. But once at SR, it won't pick up service again at all until (as you saw) quite a ways further south. On our last trip 3 weeks ago, the car had 3G while stopping in Bethel at the Foodliner and then the Rite Aid -- and TeslaFi was able to keep polling the car while at both.
upload_2019-1-21_12-10-33.png

upload_2019-1-21_12-11-34.png

Wondering how the chargers are working at the Grand Summit? I'll be staying there in June. I read on Plugshare that you need an extension cord at Grand Summit. Is it better to just charge where the destination chargers are? Hoping that the supercharger station will be open in Bethel by then. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Wondering how the chargers are working at the Grand Summit? I'll be staying there in June. I read on Plugshare that you need an extension cord at Grand Summit.
I wrote that comment on PlugShare. There is no EVSE at the Grand Summit; just a 5-15/20 outlet (*) in the overflow parking lot, a 4 minute walk from the hotel. This winter it was blocked by equipment and a huge pile of snow; hence the need for an extension cord. By June you should be able to reach it with your mobile connector w/o an extension cord. If you are going to be there for 2+ days, it will charge your car just fine (I get about 100 miles per 24 hours on my S).

Otherwise, you might want to opt for the destination chargers at the South Ridge Lodge. The only downside is that there is limited (or no) shuttle bus service in the summer. It's a 20 minute walk back to the Grand Summit, if you walk along the Roadrunner ski trail past the White Cap Lodge and to the back entrance of the Grand Summit (if you follow the google maps walking directions it is a 30 minute walk ). I have done that walk a few times, which is why I opt for the outlet near the Grant Summit.

FWIW given that construction doesn't seem to have started yet (when we were there last month), I wouldn't count on the Bethel SuperCharger being open in June, no matter what it says in the thread.

(*) I could not get the TT-30 outlet to work

I was up at SR this past weekend. As mentioned at Supercharger - Bethel, ME, there is no evidence of any work yet on the Bethel SuC.

We had our X up there for the first time. Like our S, the car never picks up 3G service when are start anywhere on the Sunday River property. But if we already have 3G service (like when we drove in), it continues to operate just time.

However, we hiked Mt. Will, just a few miles north. The car did pick up 3G service when we left Mt. Will, and had it all the way back to SR. Of course, when we started the next day to come home, we had no 3G service again. We did get it sooner - in Woodstock about 10 miles south of Bethel. I'm not sure if it's the X or that AT&T service got better.

I just noticed a 4th destination charger listed at Sunday River on PlugShare, all the way at the Jordan Hotel: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

I'm heading up to SR tomorrow, so I may "swing by" just to get a picture for PlugShare; it is a 13 mile round trip given how far out the Jordan Hotel is. I wish they'd add one at the Grand Summit where I have a unit.

• Informative
Just got back from this month's ski trip to SR. On the downside, still nothing happening at the Bethel SuC location.

On the plus side, AT&T seems to have improved its network and I had LTE coverage in the car all the way to Bethel, and picked it right up there on the way home.

I also added a picture of the Jordan Hotel destination charger to PlugShare. It's a 40A signature HPWC.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Question for folks who know the area: Do you think the Sunday River South Ridge chargers are available overnight if I were to camp in the car? Or any other nearby chargers that would be friendly to that (stoney Brook camping?) or even something on the way up 26?

I'm thinking of heading up late tomorrow night, crashing in the car, and on the slopes bright and early Friday morning to take advantage of all the snow that is hopefully coming in.

Question for folks who know the area: Do you think the Sunday River South Ridge chargers are available overnight if I were to camp in the car? Or any other nearby chargers that would be friendly to that (stoney Brook camping?) or even something on the way up 26?

I'm thinking of heading up late tomorrow night, crashing in the car, and on the slopes bright and early Friday morning to take advantage of all the snow that is hopefully coming in.
i have only used the chargers during the day but i suspect that you would be able to charge overnight at South Ridge.

• Helpful
Reactions: JWardell
Do you think the Sunday River South Ridge chargers are available overnight if I were to camp in the car?
I own at the Grand Summit Hotel. I've often had my car at the South Ridge EVSEs overnight. Never had an issue with it. I leave my phone number on a note on the dashboard just in case (and usually I move the car first thing in the morning when it is done charging).