Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon differences in Canada (is now available)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised the unavailability of Summon outside the US hasn't showed up in the media. I've read many worldwide stories about Summon touting the feature and never mentioning it's not avaliable in that media's country. Seems like an appropriate point to cover, whether or not your readers have access to what you're talking about.

I'm surprised the unavailability of Summon outside the US hasn't showed up in the media. I've read many worldwide stories about Summon touting the feature and never mentioning it's not avaliable in that media's country. Seems like an appropriate point to cover, whether or not your readers have access to what you're talking about.
And unless I've just missed it, so far Tesla isn't indicating why we don't have it, or when we might get it. While I'm not convinced it's a feature of much value to me, I am a little annoyed that no explanation has been given.

Meh...it's a cool feature, and I have no doubt that we will get it eventually...in the dead of winter, I would not be comfortable learning how to use it.

I'm happy to wait for better weather, and give Tesla plenty of user feedback to ensure all of the bugs are out.

Meh...it's a cool feature, and I have no doubt that we will get it eventually...in the dead of winter, I would not be comfortable learning how to use it.

I'm happy to wait for better weather, and give Tesla plenty of user feedback to ensure all of the bugs are out.

I still wouldn't mind some clarity around why the delay. Regulatory or simply 'soaking' before worldwide release?

Again, surprised it hasn't been addressed anywhere. Usually is. Remember AutoPilot at launch? It was unavailable in a much smaller number of places initially and got tons of traction in news stories and social media.

Not the case here. Odd.

No, you're right, and I agree...it would have been nice if Tesla simply stated that "summon" was only going to be activated in the U.S. whilst they observe an extended observation period (if that was the reason for U.S. only deployment).

Don't want a summon to turn into a summons! :wink:

Ain't gonna happen folks.
The Canadian Gov't will NOT allow this. Period
Far too dangerous in the public eye.

Ain't gonna happen folks.
The Canadian Gov't will NOT allow this. Period
Far too dangerous in the public eye.
Why do you say that? What's the worst that happens with Summon - you damage your car and (in most cases) your garage. Autosteer or Autopark are far more dangerous as a failure in those damages third party property and with Autosteer it can happen on a crowded highway at 100+ km/h.

Why do you say that? What's the worst that happens with Summon - you damage your car and (in most cases) your garage. Autosteer or Autopark are far more dangerous as a failure in those damages third party property and with Autosteer it can happen on a crowded highway at 100+ km/h.

I agree. AutoSteer was cleared and is potentially more dangerous. Summon should be a slam dunk.

And we're assuming here its regulatory that's holding things up for us. No confirmation of that.

Has anyone visited the new MyTesla section? Release notes are now there (unless they were before and I never saw them) and it is a bit clearer on the unavailability of Summon outside of the US. It suggests that it may come by saying 'yet' and attributing the cause to regulations.

Isn't DOT federal in the US? If so, there wouldn't be 52 bodies to work with.

Could also be that Tesla focused first on seeking US approval as it is where the car is engineered and built.
DOT is federal, and cover what equipment is allowed, but each state has their own rules around how it is allowed to be used. This falls under the how it is used part.
This is exactly like Canada, we have CMVSS federally, which is almost identical to the US FMVSS on what equipment a vehicle needs to have and how it is built (the differences were lobbied for by the auto industry to ensure market differentiation, they include bumper regulations and imobilizer laws, this is purely to try to limit cross-border imports)
But all use cases are covered by provincial rules and regulations.

I don't believe the "Summon" feature will ever be allowed anywhere, at least for 20 years. Obviously it is too dangerous and unpredictable.

20 years... in the technology age?

Let me give you a sample of technology 20 years ago:

"Intel announces the immediate availability of the 150 MHz (60 MHz bus) and 166 MHz (66 MHz bus) Pentium processors. Pricing is US$547 (150 MHz) and US$749 (166 MHz) each in quantities of 1000. The processor operates on 3.3-volts of power, and utilizes Intel's 0.35 micron BiCMOS manufacturing technology."

"Microsoft releases the Windows 95 Service Pack 1 operating system update."

"At an emergency meeting of the board of directors of Apple Computer in New York, CEO Michael Spindler is replaced by Gilbert Amelio"

"Iomega ships the one-millionth Zip storage device."

"Western Digital announces the 3.1 GB Caviar AC33100 hard drive, using the Enhanced IDE interface, with 12ms data access time. Volume production is scheduled for June, with a Fall release time and retail price of US$549."

"The USB Implementers Forum approves the USB specification."

So... no. We're not 20 years away.

Has anyone figured out if summon is available to US delivered cars, or to cars that happen to be in the US? If you have a US visitor dropping by (in Canada), can they still use summon, and if you (with a Canadian care) make it down to Florida, can you then use summon while in the US?