Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon Changing to Smartphone Only (According to Consumer Reports)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't have to step in front of it to stop it. Per the release notes just touch a handle.

MODEL X SOFTWARE RELEASE NOTES v7.1

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the Model S 7.1 Release notes don't mention this as a way to stop the car. It seems to be Model X specific at this time. The Model S notes mention only the FOB or the App or the car bumping into some object which it detects.

Well, with the existing sensors there is no way that I think they'll ever allow anything where you weren't required to be watching the car. The sensors just are not precise enough. They don't detect everything they need to detect to safely do much more than it does now. And there's basically no way it would ever be able to detect something like your son's bike situation.

So, honestly, I think this is probably as good as it gets for summon with the current hardware. Much more and Tesla's really going to open themselves up to significant liability concerns. Maybe they're prepared to do that, but I doubt it.

And just like autopilot/autosteer, I think they're going to just start tightening/crippling features (like the recent +5 MPH rule and now the hold the button rule or whatever it turns into) vs significant improvements from here on until the next generation sensors are released.

Well, with the existing sensors there is no way that I think they'll ever allow anything where you weren't required to be watching the car. The sensors just are not precise enough. They don't detect everything they need to detect to safely do much more than it does now. And there's basically no way it would ever be able to detect something like your son's bike situation.

So, honestly, I think this is probably as good as it gets for summon with the current hardware. Much more and Tesla's really going to open themselves up to significant liability concerns. Maybe they're prepared to do that, but I doubt it.

And just like autopilot/autosteer, I think they're going to just start tightening/crippling features (like the recent +5 MPH rule and now the hold the button rule or whatever it turns into) vs significant improvements from here on until the next generation sensors are released.

I have absolutely no expectation that these sensors could sense something like the bike. In fact, I've made the argument elsewhere in this forum that the hyped summoning features simple can't be done with hardware. I'm surprised there isn't more of an uproar about the inability to deliver on "real" summoning.

+1 - I think wk057 is correct that more restrictions are on their way.

You don't have to step in front of it to stop it. Per the release notes just touch a handle.
MODEL X SOFTWARE RELEASE NOTES v7.1
Canceling: You can stop Model X at any time while Summon is in progress using the mobile app,
by pressing anybutton on the key fob,
or by pressing any Model X door handle.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but the Model S 7.1 Release notes don't mention this as a way to stop the car. It seems to be Model X specific at this time. The Model S notes mention only the FOB or the App or the car bumping into some object which it detects.

Can someone confirm that the Model S will stop with the handle being touched?

Model S image: http://i.imgur.com/3AkDmEf.png
3AkDmEf.png

Model X image: http://i.imgur.com/iWQElIc.png
iWQElIc.png

Via www teslamotors com/sites/default/files/tesla_model_x_software_7_1_0.pdf (_0 suffix addedd vs Ss)

Last edited:
Can someone confirm that the Model S will stop with the handle being touched?...
I don't know why you think it should work on a MS when Tesla clearly has different wording how to stop it on MS vs MX.

Be that as it may, to help inquisitive minds, I just went out and tried Summon with my MS running 7.1 2.9.154, 3 different times in my garage/driveway. Touching the door handle didn't stop my MS while it was backing out using Summon. If it is supposed to work on a MS, it's a flaky implementation that didn't accomplish the objective for me 3 out of 3 attempts -- but maybe I didn't touch the handle long enough or in the right place. ;)

I'd far prefer just having a deadman switch approach on my FOB, and as I said upstream in this thread -- I'll let Tesla worry with what they want to do with a future AutoPilot 2.0 implementation and/or perhaps a different FOB design when the time comes around for full autonomous driving. My (relatively new) MS will never be able to drive on it's own, so I'll be happy with a little improvement to my existing FOB implementation that I trust a lot more than an emergency-stop with my iPhone App.

It works reliably for me. I reported it about a month ago.

Could be. I touched it enough to leave a finger print, but may not have touched it long enough each time...

I know!

Perhaps LetsGoFast's arms are a lot (a real lot! :) ) longer than yours, Bert, and he is pressing on the handle while simultaneously standing in front of the (moving) car. That would also explain it. :)

I know!

Perhaps LetsGoFast's arms are a lot (a real lot! :) ) longer than yours, Bert, and he is pressing on the handle while simultaneously standing in front of the (moving) car. That would also explain it. :)

Well, just to make sure we are clear, we are talking about pushing the door handle like requesting it to be extended, not pulling an extended handle to make the door open, right?

...I just went out and tried Summon with my MS running 7.1 2.9.154, 3 different times in my garage/driveway. Touching the door handle didn't stop my MS while it was backing out using Summon. If it is supposed to work on a MS, it's a flaky implementation that didn't accomplish the objective for me 3 out of 3 attempts -- but maybe I didn't touch the handle long enough or in the right place. ;)...
It works reliably for me. I reported it about a month ago.

I just tried it again a few minutes ago. Still works. Perhaps you weren't pressing the handle hard enough?

So, thanks to your comment LetsGoFast, I went back and tried this a few more times. Yes, I can stop Summon using my MS door handles. It requires a not-so-subtle touch, similar to what is necessary when my MS is asleep and I must do a "hard touch" or almost a "light push" on the handles to get them to present. A light tap, won't stop Summon which is what I must have been doing before, but an intentional touch of longer duration on the front or back door handles will cause Summon to cease operation. I tried this only on the driver's side while my handles were retracted, and will let others try other combinations if they are so inclined. Thx again for your helpful reply and not going off on my mistake -- I learned another new parlor trick today.

It is true that several members of my family refer to me as "ape arms"

Thx again for your helpful reply and not going off on my mistake -- I learned another new parlor trick today.

No problem. I try very hard not to be rude if I can help myself. You are right that it requires a pretty firm press, which I why I thought it was possible you didn't push hard enough.

I don't normally use Summons but I think solely relying on the cellphone is a bad idea One use case that will most likely no longer work is a extracting a car from an underground garage parking spot when the closely parked adjacent car prevents the doors from opening. It is rare to have cell service in an underground parking garage. Using the fob in this no cell signal situation is a virtual necessity unless, of course, Tesla enables bluetooth control from the cell phone. Further, using bluetooth would eliminate the delay of transmitting a signal over the cell network and enhance responsiveness, too.

Well, just to make sure we are clear, we are talking about pushing the door handle like requesting it to be extended, not pulling an extended handle to make the door open, right?

Since the above quoted my post, I should point out, in case it wasn't clear, that I was joking. If LetsGoFast's arms were long enough that he could stand in front of the car, and still reach the door handles, he would have very, VERY long arms. The joke was that the car would have been stopping because it sensed a person in front of it and not because of the handle feature, which would have explained why it worked for LetsGoFast and not for Bert.

This will teach me to make jokes that need follow-up posts to explain them!

Any bets on when Tesla will release a Windows Phone version of the app? Otherwise, I'm due a credit when the Summon feature is removed from my car.

It's due around the same time as the lighted visors and the 691 HP P85Ds.

Last edited:
I don't normally use Summons but I think solely relying on the cellphone is a bad idea One use case that will most likely no longer work is a extracting a car from an underground garage parking spot when the closely parked adjacent car prevents the doors from opening. It is rare to have cell service in an underground parking garage. Using the fob in this no cell signal situation is a virtual necessity unless, of course, Tesla enables bluetooth control from the cell phone. Further, using bluetooth would eliminate the delay of transmitting a signal over the cell network and enhance responsiveness, too.

I've used the app (don't remember if I've used the fob) in an underground garage where there was no cell signal so they must be not using the cell signals to control the car.