Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suddenly bouncy and unstable feeling ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a 23 dual motor model three with just over 11,000 miles on it, and as of last week the ride seems substantially worse and uncontrolled now. Feels very bouncy and unsettled with going over certain road types like the car will go over a bump but then keep bouncing. Thought it might be my wheels needing balance, but even after a rotation and balance still experiencing the exact same issue. Took her to a service center this morning and a technician after riding along said it felt completely normal and didn’t look at it further. I took his word for it and assumed it might just be in my head… but after driving it tonight I feel like something is off I have gotten used to the firm ride of the car over the last six months of owning it and this feels different… anyone know or have experienced something like this before or what could be the issue?

Have a 23 dual motor model three with just over 11,000 miles on it, and as of last week the ride seems substantially worse and uncontrolled now. Feels very bouncy and unsettled with going over certain road types like the car will go over a bump but then keep bouncing. Thought it might be my wheels needing balance, but even after a rotation and balance still experiencing the exact same issue. Took her to a service center this morning and a technician after riding along said it felt completely normal and didn’t look at it further. I took his word for it and assumed it might just be in my head… but after driving it tonight I feel like something is off I have gotten used to the firm ride of the car over the last six months of owning it and this feels different… anyone know or have experienced something like this before or what could be the issue?
Try a demo model 3 and see if it's the same.

From your description it sounds like a blown damper (also called a strut in the front or shock in the rear). A blown damper will most probably leak oil and you'll see it looking greasy or attracting dust/dirt on the caked on oil. Google image search "blown shocks" and you'll see what they look like from the outside.

I am glad I am not thr only one having this issue, I got model3 2023 RWD since I bought the car from hertz car sales even though I had the same issue for the model 3 I rented from hertz which thought it needed fix. Car drives in non smooth road in a bouncy way on top of that the back of my head keeps bouncing repeatedly on the head restraint as you can see in this YouTube video

The car instead of absorbing the bumps it ride with the bumps which is kind of nice but ends up making the car bouncy, at night your projector headlights will be going up and down onnthe road as if they are not installed correctly . I took it to service center and I told them about the issue they sent a technician on a ride with me to observe the issue which he confirmed and he said it can't be struts as the car only have 24k miles. So he said he will bring it up to the master tech to check. At the end of the day after fixing other issue like replacing driver side door check strap which they tesla tried to charge me 166 for replacing that but waived it right away after I told them it is under warranty and replaced front passenger seat belt sensor after having repeated seat belt failure message on my screen and nothing mentioned about the bouncy ride issue, I messaged service about it and they said it was determined normal after comparing it to another model3 2023. I told them model 2024 does not have that issue they said it is totally redesigned suspension . Another thing they said maybe because the front tires have different speed rating than the rear as my front are V speed rating and the rear are W speed rating which I don't think it makes a difference since tesla highest speed is 130 so won't be reaching V speed rating 149mph nor the W rating I think 168mph . I thought maybe it is because of the current tires on the front are standard load with max psi of 44 and I have them set at 42 and the rear extra load with max psi 51 and got 42 so I said I can lower it to 39 as per Musk recommendation but the issue still exist the same way. I am going to replace the front with exact tire as the rear so service center have no excuses and I am sure it will be same way. The reason I say that I test drove model y 2024 awd which does not have the updated inside like the model3 2024 and to my surprise it was doing the exact same thing as my model 3 2023 even though the demo car had 1300 miles on it . I told the sales the csr ride was rough she said yes that's because it is 20inch rim. My qx50 2020 30 edition got 20inch and it is way softer and driving on the same bad street that make the my model3 bouncy and my back head banging my back head never left the head restraint at all and did not feel any bouncy ride. Please anyone have this issue need to speak up it will be great to gather and maybe file a complaint to Tesla if service center declines to fix the issue and if nothing happen to file a law suite .