Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla forced me on to V10 2019.32.12.1 last night, from V8. I am REALLY PISSED OFF. So much for unplugging the seat Sorka. 2016 S 60 W/75 battery that I did not unlock. They also seem to have the BMS calculating degradation off my 60kw because my 100% has been 199 from 209. I will see what it is at 100% tonight. Did I mention I am REALLY PISSED OFF?
Is there anyway to root back to version 8?

But win at what cost? I can only conclude this must be viewed as an existential threat within Tesla because I don't see how you win this without poisoning the well for the Tesla brand and EV's in general. If I were a competitor or part of the fossil fuel lobby, I'd be gleefully watching this play out.

I see your point, as one might view it a double edge sword. But beside the lawsuit, what has been the alternative in your opinion?

It's not only the range loss, it's also the safety of the impacted packs that is up in the air.

Reactions: Guy V
I see your point, as one might view it a double edge sword. But beside the lawsuit, what has been the alternative in your opinion?

It's not only the range loss, it's also the safety of the impacted packs that is up in the air.

My bad--not enough context. I was really responding to @swegman and post #6339 -- perhaps Tesla can prevail in court, but it seems like it will be a Pyrrhic victory for them. I am not sure if there are any winners at the end of this.

I get why some owners have gone the lawsuit route--wish it were not necessary, but completely understandable.

I just got a notification for 2019.32.12.2. They want me to connect to Wi-Fi for it...sure.

I have been disconnected from wifi for a very long, and had my seat unplugged, but they must have done it on LTE or stored my wifi passcode from when it was on wifi, it's not on wifi now. I used to cover my rt mirror in tin foil, but got tired of taking on and off, so I hoped the disconnected wifi and seat would work. NOPE. Is forced updates part of the law suit? Obviously Tesla, somehow, thinks they have more rights to our cars than we do.

I have been disconnected from wifi for a very long, and had my seat unplugged, but they must have done it on LTE or stored my wifi passcode from when it was on wifi, it's not on wifi now. I used to cover my rt mirror in tin foil, but got tired of taking on and off, so I hoped the disconnected wifi and seat would work. NOPE. Is forced updates part of the law suit? Obviously Tesla, somehow, thinks they have more rights to our cars than we do.

try and call the 24hr service number and let them know how you feel.

Again what about the black listed and salvage cars that don't get updated? Are they going to make an exception and update those cars?

Again what about the black listed and salvage cars that don't get updated? Are they going to make an exception and update those cars?

No way to know, or whether we would hear about if they did, but maybe someone would report it. Would be quite telling if they did. In my opinion they must be quite concerned about something to force software on people who have gone way out of their way to avoid it.

Reactions: First EV
No way to know, or whether we would hear about if they did, but maybe someone would report it. Would be quite telling if they did. In my opinion they must be quite concerned about something to force software on people who have gone way out of their way to avoid it.

Pushing updates through LTE could indeed suggest they consider these particular updates to have safety implications.

Not that it's the most optimal solution since you lose app access, but it seems that putting the car in airplane mode would be the only way to avoid updates, right? (Aside from rooting and blocking updates with a specific command that prevents them downloading).

Of course they think they still own your car. Pressing criminal charges for grand theft, is the only way that this nonsense will stop.

Based upon the last few posts of yours, you seem to be operating under the premise that Tesla has admitted there is a problem with the battery (or the BMS) and that replacement is a forgone conclusion. I respectfully disagree with you. Tesla has taken the position that everything is fine, and that the update was made to improve longevity of the battery (a future event of making the battery last longer).

While I personally believe there is an issue with the battery and that is why Tesla has capped some batteries so they extend beyond the warranty period (yes, I have a car with a capped battery), there is a huge difference between believing something is defective and proving it. Tesla has not admitted that anything is wrong with the batteries. In fact, if you complain to Tesla, they tell you that the battery is fine. In my particular case, I’ve had my battery tested (CAC test) three times, and Tesla has taken the position that my battery is 30% BETTER than other 85 kWh batteries of the same age and mileage. When I ask them why the battery cells then now only charge to about 4.1 volts instead of the 4.2 volts that they charged to before the update was forced onto my car (I use ScanMyTesla) they do not say it was done because there is an issue with my battery. Instead, they say the software update was implemented to improve the longevity of the battery. I’ve gotten the same response from service centers in MA, MD and FL.

I know associates that work(ed) at the Washington, DC office of the firm that Tesla has retained. If the CA office is anything like the DC office, they will not stipulate to anything. You could walk into their office with your mother and they will insist on seeing a birth certificate before acknowledging that the two of you are related. They will well-known for the way they represent their clients and will make us work and work to prove every little element.

Well if that's your impression I can tell you you're 100% mistaken. They used the BMS to downgrade us and they've proven it's both intentional and reversible. I've said repeatedly that I only want the software changes reversed. No replacement or repair necessary... You're seemingly obsessed with proving things regarding the BMS but I say you're wrong about it - the BMS is likely fine and if there is a hardware defect it's more likely to be a failuse in the cells themselves. We don't need proof of a defect - we only need to be made whole. If Tesla insists they can't return what was stolen because lives are in danger, that is one possible reason why they would be forced to repair or replace hardware with equal or greater parts in accordance with the law. But they haven't filed any safety paperwork with the NHTSA or notified us we are in danger, so if that's the case they're also facing fines in the half-billion range at a minimum and possibly much more, so it's probably a fortuitous coincidence they chose legal representation that is experienced in litigation on all fronts. Since you work in this field look up Honda's concealment of a Takata seatbelt recall on LexisNexis... That was a massive fine, and it wasn't even Honda's recall. Tesla would be facing at least that much punitive response for taking public action and trying to conceal the problem with multiple changes in their story. That's another reason why I choose not to believe there is any safety issue and that TEsla can reverse the downgrades overnight whenever they choose.

I have always said I choose not to believe they're that criminal, but every time someone insists they are I will repeat the fact that there is no possible option but hardware repair. Downgrading us is not legal, we will be made whole in one way or another. My hope is it doesn't involve deception or murderous intent by Tesla - that is best for all of us because if MoFo was employed for their bankruptcy expertise as well as their cutthroat defense, we may win a pyrrhic victory.

But that again means Tesla should just open a line of communication. None of us wants to win that way either.

Yes.
  1. Stealth SW upgrade removes functionality
  2. There was massive outcry and lawsuits threatened
  3. Tesla explained (eventually) themselves and their plan
  4. Most people were willing to give Tesla slack to work things out
  5. Tesla restored the functionality and fixed the underlying issue
I agree this is worse because the impact is more material and we are stuck at step 2 and Tesla seems disinterested in moving to step 3 (and, now that there are lawyers involved, maybe we'll never get to step 3). My point was that Tesla did not have to look too far back in their own history to find a workable template, especially many of us that went through suspension-gate are now here for battery-gate. Somewhere along the way, Elon got some crappy guidance on how to handle this.
Very Low was never returned. But that was OK because they opened a dialog and explained why.

Last edited:
...does “battery” include only the physical structural elements that form the battery or does it also include the software (BMS) that is associated with the structural elements.

I don't think the BMS is solely software. I think, at least partly, the BMS is what operates the cooling/heating function that is INSIDE and PART OF the battery hardware. If the BMS was not part of the battery that temperature control wouldn't exist. Therefore the BMS ("system" being the software AND the temp hardware) is an integral part of the battery.