Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have posted this 100 pages ago but I'm a model 3 owner and my battery capacity went from 100% at 20something k miles to a 8 or 9% loss from June to August/September around the time of that software update. A lot of other model 3 owners are seeing the same especially AWD owners as we didn't get the bump to 325 miles. My battery has since recovered to 6% degradation.

Anyways I'm guessing they did something to the BMS as it is odd that I got 100% all winter and started seeing degradation in the summer. Tesla says my battery is fine and blames it on the warm weather but I'm in Canada and the weather really wasn't that warm.

Same boat as you. I've lost 2.34 miles in three months (7/1 -10/1). 3500 miles driven in that time. 2.34 miles lost for 3500 miles driven is extreme. I'm very suspicious. I started logging with tesla fi to get documentation on it. The true range loss is much worse, as I dropped 5RM off the range over night one day and that's what spurned me to start documenting it. ~7 miles lost since January of this year.
I'm not saying that you guys don't have a capping issue but without seeing the voltage at 100% you really don't know if it's just degradation or capping, which is why I posted my scanmytesla data. You both may just be experiencing degration or the effect of temperature changing.
You really need to look at voltage before you can say you are experiencing capping which is what this thread is about.

I'm not saying that you guys don't have a capping issue but without seeing the voltage at 100% you really don't know if it's just degradation or capping, which is why I posted my scanmytesla data. You both may just be experiencing degration or the effect of temperature changing.
You really need to look at voltage before you can say you are experiencing capping which is what this thread is about.
Unfortunately I don't think there's an easy way for me to get to the battery voltage on my model3.

The one thing that points to software change (not necessarily capping) is that there were pretty much no threads about battery degradation for model 3s until this summer and there were model 3s around with high mileage and many months of ownership before that.

My guess is that it is a BMS issue not necessarily the same as the capping people are experiencing in this thread as the rated miles at every percentage point of SOC is proportionally diminished in my case.

As for temperature change it was still pretty warm when I got my car last October and no change in rated miles all winter and then it went down this summer. But this June July August was warmer than when I got my car so it's possible. But if it were warm temperature causing the problem then the people in warm climates should have seen this way before me.

tesla warranty (2).jpg

My thinking from day one. I believe their BMS has failed in protecting our batteries by insufficient safeguards in place to the point that the packs are now irreversibly damaged. The capping software is just a band-aid to run the warranty clock.

I would think that somewhere in the mountains of case law or in the tort books that a warranty period is tolled if there is substantial litigation that drags on interminably. It would be unconscionable if warranties can expire on affected parties because underlying litigation that would result in warranty claims is not settled or decided until after expiration.

I have every reason to believe swegman's comments about the litigation process and the reputation of the firm that represents Tesla. What troubles me is the fact that if this firm never stipulates to anything, that this firm will not play by the rules of evidence and civil procedure, either. They can obfuscate, delay, deny, lie, and do whatever in their zealous representation without any adverse consequences. If this situation ever gets to discovery, I have no confidence that interrogatory answers and depositions will be truthful. I have no confidence that damning evidence will ever see the light of day.

I guess this firm believes in the old baseball adage, "if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'." I can see that swegman fancies this as a jousting match of wits, strategy, and argument, because he is intimately involved in the legal profession, and clearly he/she enjoys the experience. Meanwhile, the rest of us suckers just suffer while the legal drama plays out.

There is just something inherently wrong with the rules of the game. British Parliament abolished the remedy of deodands around 1850, and it only took them 700 years. Maybe it is time to revisit our contemporary procedural, evidentiary, and ethical rules too, but let's not dally for another seven centuries. We're in the 21st Century, and life and all its uncertainties have changed since the days of powdered wigs.

Sure, thats right. I dont have the capping update actually. Im just paranoid about my range loss now and find it wierd, so will be obsessively tracking it...

Somewhere along the way things started to change. All the good people are gone, Guillen, McNeill, Straubel, etc. Nowadays, it’s a one-man show, although it mostly comes across as a no-man show. Very sad.

Jerome Guillen is still around, at least according to LinkedIn ("President, Automotive at Tesla").

Bruce.

Reactions: Guy V and CSFTN
Jerome Guillen is still around, at least according to LinkedIn ("President, Automotive at Tesla").

Bruce.

You are correct. I believe at one point he left Tesla (or on leave) but came back and is with the Semi project ???.

Because we were talking about the poor quality of customer support these days, I made that comment which meant he is not with the support side any more when he personally used to communicate with the owners and was very helpful. That was my point. Lots of owners miss him in his old role.

Thanks for clarification.

Reactions: DJRas
Dr. Guillen used to be VP of Worldwide Sales & Service. He then went on indefinite sabbatical/leave of absence and unexpectedly showed up as head of Semi. Dr. Guillen was responsible for building out the entire Tesla service network initially. All of the great service we received in the early days were thanks to him. Guillen was on the job during the whole battery shield thing. He reached out to me personally during that time regarding how Tesla was handling the situation. He was always accessible by email and even by phone. I spoke with him several times. Jon McNeil succeeded him, I believe. McNeil posted here a few times and also interacted with the ownership base, albeit in a much more limited fashion.

Unfortunately, that's all gone.

Jerome Guillen also reached out to me when I had a problem with delivery of my 2015 P85D. In fact, he sent me his home phone number. Still have it somewhere ..... Point being he is an exceptional guy. Is there anyone in charge of worldwide service nowadays? (PS I have never had a problem with service, but I have also asked very little of them after 2016)

Those are all great stories. Those were the golden days. Tesla would monitor this forum and when I posted about an issue, they would call me up! But it doesn't work that way any more. Tesla is now, like any large car manufacturer. A customer with an issue is an annoyance to them. It's all about sales.

I agree with @cpa Now that the case is handled by the law firm, they will do whatever it takes to will this case. As mentioned, there is a lot of morally questionable things that they can do all perfectly within the law. I'm worried that will kill any 'good will' on Tesla's side.

I would think that somewhere in the mountains of case law or in the tort books that a warranty period is tolled if there is substantial litigation that drags on interminably. It would be unconscionable if warranties can expire on affected parties because underlying litigation that would result in warranty claims is not settled or decided until after expiration.

I have every reason to believe swegman's comments about the litigation process and the reputation of the firm that represents Tesla. What troubles me is the fact that if this firm never stipulates to anything, that this firm will not play by the rules of evidence and civil procedure, either. They can obfuscate, delay, deny, lie, and do whatever in their zealous representation without any adverse consequences. If this situation ever gets to discovery, I have no confidence that interrogatory answers and depositions will be truthful. I have no confidence that damning evidence will ever see the light of day.

I guess this firm believes in the old baseball adage, "if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'." I can see that swegman fancies this as a jousting match of wits, strategy, and argument, because he is intimately involved in the legal profession, and clearly he/she enjoys the experience. Meanwhile, the rest of us suckers just suffer while the legal drama plays out.

There is just something inherently wrong with the rules of the game. British Parliament abolished the remedy of deodands around 1850, and it only took them 700 years. Maybe it is time to revisit our contemporary procedural, evidentiary, and ethical rules too, but let's not dally for another seven centuries. We're in the 21st Century, and life and all its uncertainties have changed since the days of powdered wigs.

Tesla’s counsel is well respected and represent their clients to the best of their abilities (zealous representation). They would never knowingly misrepresent or lie about things. But you have to keep in mind that the attorneys only know as much as their client tells them. Many times attorneys have to “pull teeth” to get information from their clients (this is especially true with Chinese and Korean clients that only provide as much information as they think the attorneys need). If MoFo says anything to the court that is erroneous, it will only be because Tesla misled them. If such an error is brought to MoFo’s attention I have no doubt that they will promptly correct the error and report such error to the court.

MoFo has hundreds of attorneys. Assuming they are not working under a limited budget (doubtful), they can (and likely will) overwhelm opposing counsel with depositions, interrogatories, discovery requests, etc. One should not expect this case to be quickly resolved.

Those of us that are currently adversely impacted by the capping will be covered even if it takes years for this issue to be resolved.