Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supercharging speed issue is mostly unrelated. There can be some slowdown during the runup to mitigation and pre-mitigation (will explain in my writeup), but afterwards this issue is unrelated.

Supercharging stuff is mostly related to calendar life related functions in the BMS. Honestly, that stuff seems pretty shady to me, but it is unrelated to the range loss stuff
Sounds like not Supercharging to preserve SC speed is futile since it gets deliberately lowered in accordance with the age of the pack anyway and only “excessive” SC usage will affect a pack’s charge speeds “before it’s time”...

Reactions: InternetDude
BTW it's been a long time since 2020.30 and I am surprised things are still not improving by now?

Some people have reported getting their "lost" range back. Others have been refusing to update. Some just haven't used their vehicles enough because of COVID-19, or other reasons. And yet others have abandoned this thread because of all the pushed, and repeated, FUD...

Oh then why didn't Tesla provide such info prior to software update 2019?

Simple, years ago Tesla was still figuring it out just like Jason (wk057) was still figuring it out. Hindsight is 20/20. They have a fix now, you could ask why they haven't given a write up to explain the issue after they figured it out but then I'd remind you lawyers got involved.

So time line is something like

* Tesla sees a possible issue and starts testing for it
* Tesla modifies tests enough that users notice
* Users complain
* Tesla looks into it even more closely
* users sue
* Tesla figures out the proper fixes and implements them, can't say much because lawyers already stepped in.

Insert Jason (wk057) into that as a 3rd party and it just adds more lines, no one had full information until after the public outcry.

Great technical explanation and looking forward to hearing the technical explanation for the SuC slowdown issue - however, as great as this technical explanation is, it has no effect on how Tesla conducts business and the very unclear regulations ww on what Tesla and other manufactures are allowed to change on customer owned cars without explanation, information and acceptance. If it's bad legal advisors or whatever, Tesla would make their life a whole lot easier and build way more trust by just being upfront with things, even if they do not know if it is even an issue or what the issue may be. The technical part aside, Tesla has brought on the lawsuits themselves, as they are a result of frustration and lack of dialog and information. The bad thing is that it does not seem that Tesla will ever learn from this. The brewing M3 LFP charging issues in the cold is the same MO all over again, which is sad and unnecessary.

My battery part number did not appear on the list, but the July 2015 manufacture date may put it on the edge of BMB v1.5 - BMB v2.0 changeover. I received 2020.32.x in late August 2020 but haven’t driven even 2000 miles since then and that includes a road trip.

So I don’t know if I have the affected BMBs in my pack BUT if I do, I have a lot more mileage to drive before I get thru the required charge cycles to get to the final mitigation point - if my pack even needs it.

I suppose I could contact Jason to see if has seen the innards of a pack matching my part number.