Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strategic Alliance: Tesla & Costco

Do you think Costco would be a good company to form a strategic alliance with Tesla?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is for primary research data for a business strategy college course. Your opinion is great appreciated.
Two questions:

1. Would you purchase a Costco membership to save on the purchase of your Tesla through a Costco Auto Program for Tesla?

2. Would you purchase a Costco membership if every Costco who had a supercharger allowed for free charging for members? (This includes those Tesla cars purchased after January 1, 2017 in which charging will no longer be free for life.)

Adam, there are some assumptions in your questions you might want to reconsider.

You assume that Tesla would be willing to discount cars to sell through a 3rd party. At the moment, they're not even willing to sell through a third party, much less with a discount.

Most people only use supercharging on long-distance trips -- and usually visit Costco within their home region. Looking at my personal usage, there is no reason I'd need to supercharge at a local Costco, since I start out every morning with a 'full tank'.

Tesla would get their cars in front of a lot of people at a Costco. And the demographic could be a good match with Model 3.

Tesla should threaten to sell cars through Costco or Nordstrom in states that are too stupid to let Tesla sell directly.

That should put fear in the dealers associations who would be terrified if their customer service and sales were compared to Costco or Nordstrom.

Reactions: Ciaopec
Bonnie makes, as per her constitutionality, good points.

I make, as per my constitutionality, the outlier points.

1. The nearest Costco to us is 268 miles away.
2. That Costco represents something close to 60 percent of ALL our business's non-capital expenditures each year.

Guess who would be making _______d good use of any SpC that happened to be at that Costco!!!!!!

Reactions: tinm
Costco is the #2 car seller in the US.

Tesla should list with them.

Costco is not a dealer, they are a wholesaler.

Costco has buyer protection plans that exceed the industry standard. Few companies have as good of customer service and employee benefits as Costco.

This is pretty normal for the Costco near me. It's like 10c a gallon cheaper than a low price place nearby.

BTW all of these cars are idling and burning fuel at the worst possible rate for environmental concerns.

I would suspect a Tesla supercharger bank to look the same.

costco-gas-linewide*1200xx1200-675-0-53.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
Costco could convert some of their parking lot into a supercharger and service electric cars at their existing service centers on site.

Even if they didn't offer a discount on purchase price, Costco could sweeten the deal by offering discounts on tires or service for vehicles purchased through them.

Sounds like a pretty solid idea.

• Disagree
Reactions: Shumdit