Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange speaker behavior with the pano roof open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
I have the standard sound system and usually fade the music all the way to the back when my son's seated back there (he likes it that way).

The other day, when we opened the sunroof with this setup and with music playing, son noted that the audio was coming from just the left rear speaker! I verified this by sliding the sound stage all the way to the right rear speaker and sure enough, there was no output from that at all!

We closed the sunroof as we were approaching our destination and voila, the right rear speaker sprang back to life! We repeated this whole sequence to make sure that it wasn't a one-off.

Really weird. Any thoughts? It's a minor enough niggle that it can wait till I need the first tire rotation but, wanted to checkin and see if anyone else had such curious coincidences...

GG,

I'll try to remember to test this out tomorrow morning and see if I have the same experience. I have the Reus Audio Upgrade (on top of the standard sound), but it should exhibit the same effect if it's some sort of weird intentional thing in the software.

Looks like I have a dodgy right rear speaker connection. I've had intermittent brownouts without any relationship to the pano roof. Appointment coming up in late-April to get it looked at along with the driver door that takes a bit more force to close than normal.