Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange Behavior only after charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. It is possible. I agree it’s an issue solely between my phone and the car. Rebooting everything doesn’t solve the issue. What is confusing is that after I use the key card to start the car, I leave the key card at home and my phone works fine the whole rest of the day.

it doesn't even require the app to be actively running in the foreground on your phone (it runs as a background service).
I have the app as a widget on my iPhone and if I open the app and swipe it up to completely close it then I can't use my phone as a key. I thought the widget overcomes this. Also I was told running the app in the background also drains the battery. What's the best way to use the phone as a key?

I have the app as a widget on my iPhone and if I open the app and swipe it up to completely close it then I can't use my phone as a key. I thought the widget overcomes this. Also I was told running the app in the background also drains the battery. What's the best way to use the phone as a key?

The Tesla app, like many (most?) mobile apps, is always running. The only time it isn't running is if you explicitly force it to close (in developer options > running services on Android). Restarting the phone will start the service again though.

This is likely the same on iOS devices. You don't need to "open" the Tesla app for phone as key to function. All you need to do is install the app, login to your account, and setup phone as key while in the car.

Then you "use" phone as key by just walking up to your car and getting in, and finally driving away. As you approach the car, the car and phone will Bluetooth pair and the car will then unlock when you pull the door handle as well as "start" so that you can drive without a key card.

The Tesla app, like many (most?) mobile apps, is always running. The only time it isn't running is if you explicitly force it to close (in developer options > running services on Android). Restarting the phone will start the service again though.

This is likely the same on iOS devices. You don't need to "open" the Tesla app for phone as key to function. All you need to do is install the app, login to your account, and setup phone as key while in the car.

Then you "use" phone as key by just walking up to your car and getting in, and finally driving away. As you approach the car, the car and phone will Bluetooth pair and the car will then unlock when you pull the door handle as well as "start" so that you can drive without a key card.
My experience has been different. Anyway, thanks.

What's the best way to use the phone as a key?
Not swipe it away.

It even tells you "Keep the Tesla app running for the best experience", when you swipe it away, on an iPhone (just tested this myself on my own iPhone), so there is no secret that Tesla tells you that you should not force close the app, which is what swiping it away is on an iPhone.