Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stirring the Pot on the Model X Reveal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon could pull a Phil Collins and use a Space X rocket to attend both West and East Coast events, since Concorde is probably out of the question.

As for the actual topic, which is of great interest, alas I have no educated guess to offer. I could see anything through July to October happening, assuming they are on the latest late schedule. It really depends on what they mean by revealing only on delivery (if that remains the plan), as I believe has been said. Is it to Founders only with weeks prior to actual Signature production start - delay allowing for Design Studio - or will they (perhaps under NDA) try to get those first Signatures in too.

The problem with that secret first orders is, unless they get enough of those, there would still be the delay between Design Studio for the rest and production for those first publicly designed ones, as I assume they must give people a little time to decide, even if parts supply wouldn't be a delay (limited Signature options) etc. So, if anything, I'm probably leaning on the reveal coming with a few early deliveries (perhaps not beyond Founders and/or first Signatures), followed by a delay for the rest of us to finalize orders and the volume production start. But really, I have no idea.

In the summary thread I answered to AxiwA as follows:

AziwA said:
Interesting. Quick question though is how would they deliver the first cars without customers being able to customise and select options? If they are producing say 1,000 cars per month (at least for the first few months for September delivery). I would assume max 500 founder series that could be kept confidential with no public unveil but other customers will need to see the car to finalise their order.

Does anyone remember how far ahead the S was available to customise online before first delivery?
As said, there are probably far more well-versed people here on the topic of manufacturing and deliveries than myself, but I think what has been pondered is Tesla might deliver a few cars at the launch - perhaps only the Founders Series, or maybe the token Signature Series first-reservers have configured under confidentiality agreement - or from a list of choices, but without seeing the complete final vehicle. I guess it all depends a lot on how much configurability Tesla plans for the Signature Series or more like, how little. Most deliveries, and orders (Signatures included), I'd of course expect to happen after the unveiling.

If by 3-4 months Elon referred to volume deliveries and some early low-volume deliveries might happen sooner than that, then perhaps the unveiling, with the first deliveries could already happen in the summer. After all, it will take a while for the next deliveries after that, because you have to give people time to order, lead-times for parts etc. (although for the latter one can prepare). All this, of course, assuming Tesla is not late again - as they have been.

There seems to be people far more better versed in Tesla launch schedules and company stuff than myself, so maybe you can fill in the history and other tidbits on the launch schedule better.

No, I don't expect an East Coast launch. :)

Just trying to wrap my head around this no-reveal-until-delivery business...

As I understand it, the "Signature" cars have one special exterior colour, U.S.A.-spec, and every option. This could allow Tesla to build all the Signature cars, and not reveal them until a U.S.A. reveal/delivery event in California.

The only thing I suppose that owners might want to choose would be interior seating colours. Unless there is only one colour option for the Signature cars.

Or... let's say there are three colours, and 2,500 Signature Model X's (I do not know the exact numbers). They could produce 500 cars with each interior colour, - or perhaps, a combination that matches the ratio of grey, tan and black interiors bought today. Then, reservation holders get to choose which interior colour they want, and they get their car pretty quick after that. They could deliver all 1,500 cars at some massive day-long event that way! Also, reveal the car and open up the Design Studio at the end of the day... or earlier, since they will want the us and the media to be blitzed with Model X coverage.

Signature Reservation holders would have to report to the factory or reveal event to pick up their cars in this way. Owners elsewhere in the USA might be treated to another reveal event simultaneously, say in NY, or just receive their cars pretty darn quickly after the California event.

(in my example w/ 2,500 Signature cars, the remaining 1,000 Signature car would simply be spec'd via the Design Studio etc.)

After thinking about this a little bit more, I think I am just taking the position that I don't believe they are going to hold off on revealing the car until they're delivering it. I think they are just telling us this now to maintain the mystery. They will eventually announce a "Time To Reveal The X" event, IMO.

One of the things Tesla motors currently requires to deliver a car is full payment. This is going to be quite stressful for owners who shelled out $40,000 two years ago, to pay another $40-to-80K more on top of that for a car they haven't seen. Not to mention organising 1) car insurance so you can drive away in it... and 2) a loan, for those few Tesla faithful who aren't paying cash :) These things have never happened before... we've always been able to see a car before paying money for it. If the current statements are to be believed, Tesla is asking us to pay in full before anyone has seen it. This borders on being a weird trading practice.

Last edited:

As I understand it, the "Signature" cars have one special exterior colour, U.S.A.-spec, and every option. This could allow Tesla to build all the Signature cars, and not reveal them until a U.S.A. reveal/delivery event in California.

The only thing I suppose that owners might want to choose would be interior seating colours. Unless there is only one colour option for the Signature cars.

Or... let's say there are three colours, and 2,500 Signature Model X's (I do not know the exact numbers). They could produce 500 cars with each interior colour, - or perhaps, a combination that matches the ratio of grey, tan and black interiors bought today. Then, reservation holders get to choose which interior colour they want, and they get their car pretty quick after that. They could deliver all 1,500 cars at some massive day-long event that way! Also, reveal the car and open up the Design Studio at the end of the day... or earlier, since they will want the us and the media to be blitzed with Model X coverage.

Signature Reservation holders would have to report to the factory or reveal event to pick up their cars in this way. Owners elsewhere in the USA might be treated to another reveal event simultaneously, say in NY, or just receive their cars pretty darn quickly after the California event.

(in my example w/ 2,500 Signature cars, the remaining 1,000 Signature car would simply be spec'd via the Design Studio etc.)

After thinking about this a little bit more, I think I am just taking the position that I don't believe they are going to hold off on revealing the car until they're delivering it. I think they are just telling us this now to maintain the mystery. They will eventually announce a "Time To Reveal The X" event, IMO.

One of the things Tesla motors currently requires to deliver a car is full payment. This is going to be quite stressful for owners who shelled out $40,000 two years ago, to pay another $40-to-80K more on top of that for a car they haven't seen. Not to mention organising 1) car insurance so you can drive away in it... and 2) a loan, for those few Tesla faithful who aren't paying cash :) These things have never happened before... we've always been able to see a car before paying money for it. If the current statements are to be believed, Tesla is asking us to pay in full before anyone has seen it. This borders on being a weird trading practice.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong: At least for Model S there were multiple exterior and interior colors for Signature, although there also were those single special Signature colors.

I agree this "no reveal until deliveries" is problematic and likely to amount to not much more than a marketing stunt of minimal "insider" deliveries. But who knows, maybe they'll innovate something. :)

Model S Sigs were not limited to one color, though there were less color choices (paint part of the factory was not fully up and running). Signature Red was ONLY available to signature reservation holders, but they could still choose other colors.

My assumption, based on very little data, is that a handful of Founder Series will be delivered for the X & this will be the 'won't see until first deliveries'. Part of the unspoken job of the recipients of Founder Series is to (quietly, meaning no press) shake out any last issues before production of Signatures. Founders are typically top-level Tesla execs, board members, major investors - all people unlikely to go running to the press to document an issue with their new vehicle. They're also the group least likely to leak any information prior to delivery of their vehicle. So there very likely could be time between Founder deliveries in late August/Sept and first Signatures that would work out to support Elon's statement.

Model S Sigs were not limited to one color, though there were less color choices (paint part of the factory was not fully up and running). Signature Red was ONLY available to signature reservation holders, but they could still choose other colors.

My assumption, based on very little data, is that a handful of Founder Series will be delivered for the X & this will be the 'won't see until first deliveries'. Part of the unspoken job of the recipients of Founder Series is to (quietly, meaning no press) shake out any last issues before production of Signatures. Founders are typically top-level Tesla execs, board members, major investors - all people unlikely to go running to the press to document an issue with their new vehicle. They're also the group least likely to leak any information prior to delivery of their vehicle. So there very likely could be time between Founder deliveries in late August/Sept and first Signatures that would work out to support Elon's statement.

Agreed. This is how it will play out. And the Signature cars will be "built to order" even though there will probably be few other choices than 4-5 colors and 3-4 interior options and perhaps some other option. It may also be possible to "opt out" from some options (like very large wheels) but you'll get the pleasure of paying the maxed-out price anyway plus a premium. This is the joy of Signature reservations.

Agreed. This is how it will play out. And the Signature cars will be "built to order" even though there will probably be few other choices than 4-5 colors and 3-4 interior options and perhaps some other option. It may also be possible to "opt out" from some options (like very large wheels) but you'll get the pleasure of paying the maxed-out price anyway plus a premium. This is the joy of Signature reservations.

I suspect that past woes were more related to getting systems up and running, rather than Signature reservations. Those systems are now in place. I also suspect there will be far more colors available for X Sig than there were for S Sig - simply because the paint operation is up and operational.

And since I'll probably fully load it anyway, moot point. :) I paid a premium for a Roadster, which by all counts is extremely outdated even in comparison to the first Model S. How do you attach a value to the extra time behind the wheel? ... I'd do it all over again, even given what I know now.

I suspect that past woes were more related to getting systems up and running, rather than Signature reservations. Those systems are now in place. I also suspect there will be far more colors available for X Sig than there were for S Sig - simply because the paint operation is up and operational.

And since I'll probably fully load it anyway, moot point. :) I paid a premium for a Roadster, which by all counts is extremely outdated even in comparison to the first Model S. How do you attach a value to the extra time behind the wheel? ... I'd do it all over again, even given what I know now.

I agree buying a Signature car is a fine choice if that's what you want. With the S for EU Sigs the factory was spitting out Model S's in green, blue and brown (US P series) but the EU Sigs were not allowed other colors than the Signature colors. That and the forced 21" wheels was a deal breaker for me and made me cancel my Sig. But many were lined up to get a Sig and Tesla had no problem selling them at a premium. This tells me they have no incentive to change the way they handle Model X Signatures (and is why I didn't even bother depositing for a Signature X).

I agree buying a Signature car is a fine choice if that's what you want. With the S for EU Sigs the factory was spitting out Model S's in green, blue and brown (US P series) but the EU Sigs were not allowed other colors than the Signature colors. That and the forced 21" wheels was a deal breaker for me and made me cancel my Sig. But many were lined up to get a Sig and Tesla had no problem selling them at a premium. This tells me they have no incentive to change the way they handle Model X Signatures (and is why I didn't even bother depositing for a Signature X).

Sounds Draconian over there in the EU!

Sounds Draconian over there in the EU!

I can think of better adjectives: belittling, insensitive, unappreciative, inconsiderate. These are supposed to be your most loyal customers, the ones that have been standing in line for a long time patiently waiting with a wad of money in their hand, a large portion of which they've trusted Tesla with for a long time. Don't get me started but to me personally this whole Signature nonsense is a small stain on an otherwise excellent company and customer experience.

there were multiple exterior and interior colors for Signature

Daargh... put my foot in it again... should have at least watched the video of it to double check!

giphy.gif

Given the (slightly) more conservative nature of a crossover (e.g. appealing to women) I would hope the Sig's wouldn't force a 21" wheel choice, which frankly is a pretty dumb option for how the car will be used. I'm guessing a bunch of us are a little older, too, so items like red piping on upholstery or white interiors could be a turnoff. The sole reason I opted for a sig was so I could have a chance to drive one as soon as possible. At this end of life, one doesn't have the luxury of unlimited time.

I like this idea of producing MXs in secret in the limited variations offered to Sig owners. Where would they park them all so that they wouldn't be seen? Maybe they need to lease a large, empty building near the factory or something... :wink:

My recollection is that Signature Model S had the following choices:
- Performance
- Panoramic roof
- Exterior: Signature Red, Black, White, Silver Metallic (for production, Signature Red was not allowed but other colors were available)
- Interior: Black, White, Tan (for production, Gray was offered instead of White)
- Décor: Carbon Fiber (only available with Performance), Lacewood, Obeche Matte, Obeche Gloss, Piano Black
- Wheels: 21" Silver, 21" Dark gray, 19" (Silver)
- 3rd row seats
- HPWC

I chose the underlined. The italics was the only one I had to make a real decision on; and I recollect discussing it with dsm363 and others on the forum. The rest were instant choices that I never had any second thoughts.

If they keep the choices this limited for Signature Model X, then it's totally likely they could open up "Design Studio for Signature" without having to reveal any of the secret sauce prior.

I seem to recall gloss not being available when I configured (mid July)? By then, they had dumped Banana Leaf in favor of the matte Obeche, but I don't recall the gloss being available yet. My car is the same as yours, Brian, except I got the 3rd row too.