Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel not able to drive straight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
STEERING WHEEL ISSUE
--
Have a Model Y we got back in September 2022. I have recently experienced that the steering wheel is not turning in a smooth movement but in 'steps'.
Unfortunately, it means that car when driving on the highway is unable to drive straight, as this is just between two of these steps.
As such, constant steering input with 1 click to the right and then shortly after 1 click to the left is required with the outcome that I end up driving from side to side in the lane as if im drunk.
Anyone that has similar experience or have knowledge if it is a setting that is wrong or if it's a more mechanical thing that is causing this ?.

• Helpful
Reactions: SHT54
Same ‘notchy’ steering problem with my ‘72 plate (UK) Model Y which first occurred after a software update a couple of weeks ago. Local service centre couldn’t diagnose the problem but said the next software update should fix it. The latest update to 2023.2.12 hasn’t fixed it and it’s Impossible to drive in a straight line at motorway speeds. Infuriating.

Upvote 0
I’m surprised that Tesla are not doing a recall on this issue. If it were to get out to the media that a software update has impacted the steering and thus the safety of the vehicle then it would have a pretty bad effect on them. I was on the motorway yesterday in narrow lanes in roadworks and found it hard the steer straight. Especially as I had a massive truck to the side of me. Very scary.

Reactions: GALLA4
Upvote 0
I have the same Issue. I think mine started straight after upgrading to 2023.2.10.

Mine is a MYLR August 2022 Shanghai build.

It seems we are all Shanghai builds so far? unless anyone has noticed otherwise?

Hopefully this can easily be undone with a new update. I really hope the service centres are escalating these reports to the top. Agree it seems like potentially very serious issue that could in theory be resolved quickly without much fuss.

I wonder if a lot of people have even noticed at you might not if just doing short (non motorway) trips every day.

Upvote 0
I have the same Issue. I think mine started straight after upgrading to 2023.2.10.

Mine is a MYLR August 2022 Shanghai build.

It seems we are all Shanghai builds so far? unless anyone has noticed otherwise?

Hopefully this can easily be undone with a new update. I really hope the service centres are escalating these reports to the top. Agree it seems like potentially very serious issue that could in theory be resolved quickly without much fuss.

I wonder if a lot of people have even noticed at you might not if just doing short (non motorway) trips every day.
Same build and dates here.
Certainly started with f/ware on Monday. Have only had cause to do local and country lane journeys since, so notchiness is certainly noticeable at parking speeds - but not had problems controlling the vehicle in those situations.
Longer motorway journeys pending next week, so will see if maintaining lane is an issue.

Upvote 0
Just been told it needs a new steering rack. They said that if they warm up the rack by rotating the wheel left and right multiple times and the problem goes away then is it software, otherwise it’s hardware. A bit strange to me but then what would I know. It’s going in Tuesday for the work to be completed.

Upvote 0
Just been told it needs a new steering rack. They said that if they warm up the rack by rotating the wheel left and right multiple times and the problem goes away then is it software, otherwise it’s hardware. A bit strange to me but then what would I know. It’s going in Tuesday for the work to be completed.
If the problem goes away after warm up then it's software?
WTF is that logic??

Upvote 0
Thanks for the update. The heating up of something is similar to what they told me last week but instead I have to wait for the next software update, which has now happened and the issue remains.

Reactions: GALLA4
Upvote 0
Did you manage to get this sorted? Mine started doing it today, after updating to the latest software last night.
on the motorway today, I was having to zig-zag across the lane to avoid as I wasn’t able to drive straight…very dangerous and unsafe!!
I’ve raised a service request.

Upvote 0
Did you manage to get this sorted? Mine started doing it today, after updating to the latest software last night.
on the motorway today, I was having to zig-zag across the lane to avoid as I wasn’t able to drive straight…very dangerous and unsafe!!
I’ve raised a service request.
They will close your service request and give you some bullshit about "known characteristic of the vehicle firmware" and they are working on a future firmware fix. Meanwhile you dice with death on the commute.

Upvote 0
Exactly the same issue and the same response from the service team after creating a request through the app. MY from September 2022.
Skytte any chance you could share which software version you installed to resolve the issue? I have a road trip through Europe approaching and definitely would like this resolved before then :)

Upvote 0
For me the issue has essentially gone away. Don't know how or when, or even if it's temporarily, but I drove a short trip yesterday (city driving) and a long trip today (highway) and I can't really feel the notches anymore. There's been no new firmware nor any service, I'm still on 2023.2.10, yet, just after I received that update I could still feel easily feel the notches, but now, it's no longer an issue...

Upvote 0
Finally got mine recovered on Saturday (wasn't driving it with a 2 year old), after waiting almost 2 weeks since requesting a service. They had a look at it today to see if it was software issues, but have decided to replace the steering column... they reckon they haven't seen this issue before. Just have to wait for the parts now

Upvote 0
Shame the SC response is not consistent, and sorry to hear of those service requests going unanswered.
I took my MY in yesterday - the upshot for them was that they needed to get the car to 20 degrees C, if the notchy steering was still evident at that temp then it would need a new steering column, otherwise it would be deemed fixable by way of firmware update (via future software revision).
A little frustratingly it was with them all day yesterday and I was told they were unable to get the car to 20C, even in their garage. They would try again today and leave it in front of a heater overnight if still unable to get temp high enough, so I’m still waiting to hear which way it’ll go.

Upvote 0