Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering "Click" at stop and low speed--normal or not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess my normal driving routine doesn't usually see me making sharp turns, but yesterday backing into a tight spot, I had to crank the wheel tighter than usual and hear the snap/click sound...

Just reporting back that while I had the click for a few days, it somehow went away by itself. I have been "click free" for several weeks now. Weird.

I've noticed this on mine lately as well. On old ICE cars, that usually meant a leak in the power brake vacuum assist. Most cars are able to hold enough vacuum to keep power brakes "powered" for days on end. When new, my Model S maintained power brakes overnight (that's as long as the car ever sat), but now with 4,000 miles, the brake has no power assist by morning until I "start" it up when I assume some sort of electric vacuum pump comes on.

EDIT: I wonder if in past software versions the brake assist was left running all the time but with 4.4 they turned it off when the car is off to save power?
Likely not... My car came with 4.4 and still has. Didn't have this occurring until after the first month or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I also have the steering clicking at very low speed...

I had mine in to Toronto service last week for the second time to resolve the steering click (among other things). It seems better than before but I can still force the click by turning the steering wheel to both extremes while hardly moving. They said there is a shim they can try. I am a little disappointed in Toronto service as this was the third time in for an alignment (which they did get right this time), second time for steering click, still no Tesla loaners, told me they resolved two creaks and rattles which are still present. Reminds me of my GM/Ford dealership service days where they give a half hearted attempt at solving these nagging, time consuming, seemingly trivial annoyance issues. I have started another thread on this but I still strongly believe I should have been referred to discussion with the Tech by default. The advisor relayed information to/from me and the tech. When subjective intermittent creaks and rattles are at issue, talking to the tech would have been more efficient and would facilitate a quicker resolution to the problems, saving Tesla time and my time.

.....I still strongly believe I should have been referred to discussion with the Tech by default. The advisor relayed information to/from me and the tech. When subjective intermittent creaks and rattles are at issue, talking to the tech would have been more efficient and would facilitate a quicker resolution to the problems, saving Tesla time and my time.

My experience is that the Service Centers have always made the SC Manager and/or the Technicians readily available in person. Just go ahead and ask to talk to someone directly.

Hey Z,

I just got mine fixed, which has been present since day 1. They placed a shim and the click is completely gone. The tech gave me a detailed explanation which made perfect sense and I've mostly forgotten. It was something to the effect of the rack being mounted to a non-fixed surface. The shim prevents some small movement of the steering column at the extremes of steering. Mine was fixed a couple of weeks ago and hasn't made a sound since.

Glad to know there is a fix for this, although it doesn't necessarily sound like a long-term solution. Just noticed mine making this noise today (approx 5K miles). Also during a parking maneuver. One more item to add to the list (which is actually short) when I bring the car in for installation of the carbon fiber spoiler (which has been missing since delivery; and when I scheduled a service appt they called back and cancelled it due to lack of parts). I actually must say that I have found this car to be quite trouble-free, esp. considering it's a brand-new car from a brand-new company. When I think of the nightmares we could all have experienced, I'm amazed things have gone so well.

Had mine fixed two weeks ago. According to the service report the solution was "Performed update: SB-13-32-001" in case anybody gets the "what problem? never heard of that before" or some such line.

Actually Tesla Service has been very courteous and entered *every* item I asked them to check into the work order system. They closed *every* issue even if it was something like when I asked for my AlloyGators to be installed where they declined and closed the item as "Unfortunately we cannot install aftermarket accessories".

I had mine in to Toronto service last week for the second time to resolve the steering click (among other things). It seems better than before but I can still force the click by turning the steering wheel to both extremes while hardly moving. They said there is a shim they can try. I am a little disappointed in Toronto service as this was the third time in for an alignment (which they did get right this time), second time for steering click, still no Tesla loaners, told me they resolved two creaks and rattles which are still present. Reminds me of my GM/Ford dealership service days where they give a half hearted attempt at solving these nagging, time consuming, seemingly trivial annoyance issues. I have started another thread on this but I still strongly believe I should have been referred to discussion with the Tech by default. The advisor relayed information to/from me and the tech. When subjective intermittent creaks and rattles are at issue, talking to the tech would have been more efficient and would facilitate a quicker resolution to the problems, saving Tesla time and my time.

I 100% agree with you and have had recent issues being told are fixed, I get in the car and nothing has changed. Where is your other thread on this by the way?

- - - Updated - - -

I had the same low speed clicking sound start a couple of months ago. I had it in the SC then for some other things and when I had the tech listen to it he seemed to think it could be a harness that is around the steering column to guide many wires and this harness could be broken etc and might need replacement. I actually seem to hear two types of clicks. One type is the low volume as i turn the wheel back and forth. The other happens less often and mostly, it seems, when the car has not been driven for a few hours. These are usually louder but happen only on the first turn of the wheel either way.

Today I brought the car in to address this issue. They told me they torqued some bolts in the steering and did nothing with the harness (it was actually a different tech who worked on it than the one who had the harness theory). I got into the car and the clicks were still there. I have to say I did not hear the louder variety but who knows. I will have to listen more tomorrow. After a night in the garage it would be guaranteed to happen. If everything is still present I will tell them to look at the bulletin SB-13-32-001 that was mentioned.

At least i know I am not alone and it does not seem to be a safety issue which is always my biggest concern. If any more resolutions are found, please post.