Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking Sound When Making Sharp Turns at Low Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um. Lots of possible reasons, but the scary one might be the Constant Velocity joints, up in front. There's the motor/gearbox, that has a shaft coming out each side; end of that shaft goes into one CV joint, through a stub shaft, to another CV joint, and from there into a stub axle into the wheel. Each of the CV joints has three or so honking big ball bearings and, kind of, "horizontal" slots that they fit into.

Old VW Beetles had these in the rear (air cooled rear engine, rear-wheel drive) and I had the unlucky experience of one of those going bad, which one would notice on turns. Until it broke, then No Motive Power R Us.

New car, early failures, this is why there's warranties. Strongly suggest putting in a maintenance request into the app. If the Tesla folks think that this is dangerous, you'll get in earlier than you think.

FWIW: Having used said app over the years, one can put in digital files - pictures, video, etc. Get a clear sound recorded, if you can, and dump it in there in the problem description, it doesn't have to be all text. Thinking about this: Get another person outside the car and do sharp turns in an empty parking lot, see if it can be heard that way.

Reactions: GrayGhost6
Um. Lots of possible reasons, but the scary one might be the Constant Velocity joints, up in front. There's the motor/gearbox, that has a shaft coming out each side; end of that shaft goes into one CV joint, through a stub shaft, to another CV joint, and from there into a stub axle into the wheel. Each of the CV joints has three or so honking big ball bearings and, kind of, "horizontal" slots that they fit into.

Old VW Beetles had these in the rear (air cooled rear engine, rear-wheel drive) and I had the unlucky experience of one of those going bad, which one would notice on turns. Until it broke, then No Motive Power R Us.

New car, early failures, this is why there's warranties. Strongly suggest putting in a maintenance request into the app. If the Tesla folks think that this is dangerous, you'll get in earlier than you think.

FWIW: Having used said app over the years, one can put in digital files - pictures, video, etc. Get a clear sound recorded, if you can, and dump it in there in the problem description, it doesn't have to be all text. Thinking about this: Get another person outside the car and do sharp turns in an empty parking lot, see if it can be heard that way.
I appreciate the thoughtful and informative response... Thank you!

I'll grab some video and submit a request in the morning.

It does sound like a half-shaft wear. Don't worry I'm getting used to replace them every 1(hopefully 2) years. Once cold weather comes, they start clicking... This winter it's going to be my 2nd replacement of new revision half-shafts. Last time it happen, tech said that CV joint boot was torn, no idea what is going to be this time but I already heard clicking few times.

The total price for both is a little less than $1000 :mad:

I picked up my new '23 MXLR two weeks ago and have noticed a clicking sound coming from the bottom of the car when making sharp turns at low speeds.

Does anybody know what would be causing this?

Thank you in advance!
Happened to my 2023 MSLR, pretty common issue for the S, Tesla had to re-lubricate and re-tighten some bits and pieces. Never had any more issues until I sold it at 23500km when trading in for MXP. Hope it’s same easy fix for you.

It does sound like a half-shaft wear. Don't worry I'm getting used to replace them every 1(hopefully 2) years. Once cold weather comes, they start clicking... This winter it's going to be my 2nd replacement of new revision half-shafts. Last time it happen, tech said that CV joint boot was torn, no idea what is going to be this time but I already heard clicking few times.

The total price for both is a little less than $1000 :mad:
Are you not under warranty?