Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering "Click" at stop and low speed--normal or not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI

After my 1 year service where I had the shim update, I had clicks return a couple of months later. A ranger came and re-did the shims/ added a couple that weren't done at the 1 year (there are 4 that they were adding) About a month later, after a bit of hard driving, my steering started squeaking instead of clicking due to the shims that were put in. Very horrible sound.
you might not want to see/hear it...

So, I opened it all up to see what exactly was going on(since it isn't really drivable with that noise!). As you can see, the keeper bolt (with orange shim under) is loose enough that it moves. This is the problem location that produces the steering 'clicks'. Without the shims, the metal binds and clicks when the keeper bracket(painted steel) is horizontally stressed/slid on the steering rack(aluminum) with a bolt trying to keep them tight but the bolt hole has a tiny bit of play in the keeper hole. I tried every material I could to replace the shims and found either a teflon or a fiber washer to work the best. I didn't notice at this time that the bigger horizontal bolts (that hold the steering rack to the subframe) were also loose on my car. So loose after my last drive that I could hand unscrew the passenger side bolt all the way. I figured this out when my steering started to get about a dead spot when turning left from straight.
I think one of the problems was that the ranger didn't use a torque wrench after putting the shims in. The keeper bolts are a pretty low torque but the main steering bolts are closer to the wheel specs
After I got the bolt torque specs for the 4 bolts it all seems pretty good

Last edited by a moderator:
I also had the shim fix applied at my 12k service and the noise has come back. I plan to take the car back in for another round of fixes. Tesla really needs to get this fixed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

After my 1 year service where I had the shim update, I had clicks return a couple of months later. A ranger came and re-did the shims/ added a couple that weren't done at the 1 year (there are 4 that they were adding) About a month later, after a bit of hard driving, my steering started squeaking instead of clicking due to the shims that were put in. Very horrible sound.
you might not want to see/hear it...

So, I opened it all up to see what exactly was going on(since it isn't really drivable with that noise!). As you can see, the keeper bolt (with orange shim under) is loose enough that it moves. This is the problem location that produces the steering 'clicks'. Without the shims, the metal binds and clicks when the keeper bracket(painted steel) is horizontally stressed/slid on the steering rack(aluminum) with a bolt trying to keep them tight but the bolt hole has a tiny bit of play in the keeper hole. I tried every material I could to replace the shims and found either a teflon or a fiber washer to work the best. I didn't notice at this time that the bigger horizontal bolts (that hold the steering rack to the subframe) were also loose on my car. So loose after my last drive that I could hand unscrew the passenger side bolt all the way. I figured this out when my steering started to get about a dead spot when turning left from straight.
I think one of the problems was that the ranger didn't use a torque wrench after putting the shims in. The keeper bolts are a pretty low torque but the main steering bolts are closer to the wheel specs
After I got the bolt torque specs for the 4 bolts it all seems pretty good
Wow, that was god aweful!

Last edited by a moderator:
They applied this shim TSB to mine over the summer but the next day I could still hear it. The shim only seems to "muffle" the sound but it's still there and very audible. So the shims aren't really a real fix for this problem...

That is what I said in my e-mail! They really need a bolt with a wider shaft or a smaller hole in the steel keeper bracket that wont allow for play. I hope that they put some thread lock in when they redid mine. I pulled my frunk out a couple of times and don't really want to do it again (pretty easy but...I'm not working on a stereo upgrade or something fun!). I almost laughed when I first saw the 'shim' fix. thin orange plastic? not even Tesla red :wink:

Not sure if my issue is related with what is discussed in this thread, but I will ask anyway. Every time I turn the turn indicator on, and begin to turn the steering wheel, I hear a faint click - as if the auto turning off of the indicator upon steering wheel returning to normal position just got enabled. Is this normal?

(Note that the click I am talking about is at the beginning of turning the wheel, not at 180°. Also, it is not as loud as in the videos posted here.)

Interesting that there haven't been many comments on this thread recently but my car has started to get "the click". Planning on getting my annual service in Sept. - Oct., haven't decided if I'll wait till then to get it fixed or not, I have a growing list of little things for the service center to look into.

Interesting that there haven't been many comments on this thread recently but my car has started to get "the click". Planning on getting my annual service in Sept. - Oct., haven't decided if I'll wait till then to get it fixed or not, I have a growing list of little things for the service center to look into.

I would have expected that the new bushings would be standard now, and that's probably why we haven't seen any cases. Perhaps you had a bushing fail or something.

My RHD car (1 month old today) has this clicking issue (not quite as severe as in the original video, but quite noticeable). Have included in snagging list of items to sort out - the car is going in to be looked at last week.

Thanks for a very helpful/informative thread!