Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

standard tires on 2.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fix-a-flat is in the trunk under the floor mat in later production cars, likewise for the little toolkit that used to be velcroed to the trunk floor.

I understand using the can of tire repair goo makes a real mess of the wheel and perhaps gums up the tire pressure sensors. I'd personally recommend calling a tow truck except in emergency situations.

The most unexpected cost of running the Roadster is reoccurring tire replacement.

Yeah, I'm just over 5K miles in 5 months, and it looks like I'll be getting new rears very soon.

Tirerack currently has the AD07s for $309/each. Figure $660 (shipping, mounting, balancing is probably more than $20/tire) every 6K miles. That's $0.11/mile.

Electricity runs me less than $0.02/mile. So, tires cost 5X more than fuel - and that's not factoring in eventual replacement fronts. Of course, this is not abnormal for a high performance sports car. I wonder how many more miles I'd get out of the tires if I always drove in RANGE mode.

I'll never know. :smile:

Yeah, I'm just over 5K miles in 5 months, and it looks like I'll be getting new rears very soon.

Tirerack currently has the AD07s for $309/each. Figure $660 (shipping, mounting, balancing is probably more than $20/tire) every 6K miles. That's $0.11/mile.

Electricity runs me less than $0.02/mile. So, tires cost 5X more than fuel - and that's not factoring in eventual replacement fronts. Of course, this is not abnormal for a high performance sports car. I wonder how many more miles I'd get out of the tires if I always drove in RANGE mode.

I'll never know. :smile:
It's not just the car, how you drive it makes a big difference. I got over 12k on my first set of rears and I'm nearly there on the second set. I've heard of a owner who has to replace the rear tires every 1,000 miles. I'm scared about what it takes to burn through tires that quickly!

Still, even going 12,000 miles is 5 cents per mile, twice the fuel cost.

Check Your Tire Tread Today!

Now that the weather is getting cold and wet in many areas, be sure to check your tire tread frequently. Driving on bald tires is dangerous in any car, but especially in the Roadster. The car can seem fine on dry pavement, then go suddenly sideways on wet roads. You don't want that to happen to you!

When I had my Roadster in for its annual and new tires (11k miles on the AD07's - switched to Proxes 4's for more life and less cost) the service writer was telling me another owner was down to the cords and actually had a blow-out on their way to Tesla for new tires. Idk if people are just that clueless or they aren't used to their tires wearing out that quickly. I got almost 40k out of the Goodyear Eagles on my Corvette (much larger tires and only slightly heavier car).

When I had my Roadster in for its annual and new tires (11k miles on the AD07's - switched to Proxes 4's for more life and less cost) the service writer was telling me another owner was down to the cords and actually had a blow-out on their way to Tesla for new tires. Idk if people are just that clueless or they aren't used to their tires wearing out that quickly. I got almost 40k out of the Goodyear Eagles on my Corvette (much larger tires and only slightly heavier car).

It really sneaks up on you. The first time I had my tires replaced I was astonished how much worse the rears looked after they were taken off the car.

Now that the weather is getting cold and wet in many areas, be sure to check your tire tread frequently. Driving on bald tires is dangerous in any car, but especially in the Roadster. The car can seem fine on dry pavement, then go suddenly sideways on wet roads. You don't want that to happen to you!

I second that due to recent experience. I can't believe how suddenly-poor the traction now gets on wet pavement now that I'm at the wear bars (snows go on tomorrow). It's really, really bad and really dangerous. The tiniest amount of standing water on the road at 50 MPH means hydroplaning and fishtailing.

I never have paid so close attention to my tread depth until I bought the Roadster. Definitely good advice and getting one of those digital tread depth gauges is worth it. The AD07s need to be replaced at 2mm but I think tire rack recommends 4mm.

I pay closer attention with the roadster's tires vs the truck's, largely because I can see the truck's tires better.

Also switching tire manufacturers or model can be a good thing. When I switched from the Yoko's to my current Cooper's I went up in wear rating from a 180 to 380 and am paying $200 less with almost the same specs. (speed rating went down, but it is still over the roadster's top speed)