Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 MCU upgrade 2.5>3, what does it enable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 MX75D, HW 2.5

With the new subscription for FSD available, am considering getting the HW upgrade to enable the subscription, but wondering if we do the upgrade what else does it enable?
There seem to be other software enhancements that may come with the faster processor so wondering if someone who has done that can tell me if I were to upgrade and not do the the FSD, would it still be worthwhile?
Also, does it disable the radar and USS?
It seems that the upgrade page on the app still says "Autosteer on City Streets" as coming soon? Does that mean that the upgrade still wont get us the FSD capability until a release handles our version of Hardware?
A bit confused, thanks.

2018 MX75D, HW 2.5

With the new subscription for FSD available, am considering getting the HW upgrade to enable the subscription, but wondering if we do the upgrade what else does it enable?
There seem to be other software enhancements that may come with the faster processor so wondering if someone who has done that can tell me if I were to upgrade and not do the the FSD, would it still be worthwhile?
Also, does it disable the radar and USS?
It seems that the upgrade page on the app still says "Autosteer on City Streets" as coming soon? Does that mean that the upgrade still wont get us the FSD capability until a release handles our version of Hardware?
A bit confused, thanks.
I assume "autosteer on city streets" is the FSD ugrade and it is "coming soon" because it isn't available for HW2.5. I make this assumption based on the fact that lane keeping already works (or at least used to) on city streets in spite of the manual saying you shouldn't use it there.

You might find some anecdotal evidence of better AP performance with HW3 if you search, but it theoretically shouldn't make a difference since that software doesn't max out the existing hardware. That having been said, your concern about disabling radar and USS might be spot-on, because it might enable you to get upgrades you wouldn't get otherwise, which might include switching to vision whether you use FSD or not (I'm not sure if all HW3 vehicles have been switched to vision, as I've been running FSD beta in my 2017 for years).

All of that having been said, my 2017 did recently upgrade to FSD supervised (FSD 12.3; I was previously on FSD beta 11.4), but I'm not sure what you're referring to as "the new subscription" unless you mean the recently advertised free trial, which I'm not entirely sure is a rolling thing (someone somewhere in these forums thought it was only for April and they would miss out since their software on their new X was too new, but others guessed it would probably be rolling since the idea is almost certainly to sell more subscriptions).

All of that having been said, my 2017 did recently upgrade to FSD supervised (FSD 12.3; I was previously on FSD beta 11.4), but I'm not sure what you're referring to as "the new subscription" unless you mean the recently advertised free trial, which I'm not entirely sure is a rolling thing (someone somewhere in these forums thought it was only for April and they would miss out since their software on their new X was too new, but others guessed it would probably be rolling since the idea is almost certainly to sell more subscription
Thanks for that, should have really clarified that with the reduction of FSD subscription to $99 as opposed to a "new subscription".

It was noticed yesterday that Tesla cut $4k off the FSD purchase prices. FSD costs $2k over an existing EAP, or $8000 if no existing EAP. The monthly FSD subscription seems still $100/month with $1k hardware upgrade. I have the EAP on my 2018 MX. It's a HW2.5 and MCU2. It's tempting to get FSD for only $2k. My questions and concerns are: 1. Does FSD upgrade include MCU2 -> 3 upgrade? 2. Besides potentially losing radar and USS, will FM radio and homelink, or anything else, be jeopardized during FSD upgrade? (I don't have XM radio).

I am kinda moving from solid "no" to FSD to thinking about getting it after hearing good reviews of FSD 12 and this price cut. I like my MX's lane keeping/warning and auto cruise control. I enable automatic lane changing only in long distance highway driving. I don't use parking assistance. Summon is useless to my experience. I think now occasional use of the FSD and the better visual on the screens may worth the upgrade. I'd like to get more opinions.

It was noticed yesterday that Tesla cut $4k off the FSD purchase prices. FSD costs $2k over an existing EAP, or $8000 if no existing EAP. The monthly FSD subscription seems still $100/month with $1k hardware upgrade. I have the EAP on my 2018 MX. It's a HW2.5 and MCU2. It's tempting to get FSD for only $2k. My questions and concerns are: 1. Does FSD upgrade include MCU2 -> 3 upgrade? 2. Besides potentially losing radar and USS, will FM radio and homelink, or anything else, be jeopardized during FSD upgrade? (I don't have XM radio).

I am kinda moving from solid "no" to FSD to thinking about getting it after hearing good reviews of FSD 12 and this price cut. I like my MX's lane keeping/warning and auto cruise control. I enable automatic lane changing only in long distance highway driving. I don't use parking assistance. Summon is useless to my experience. I think now occasional use of the FSD and the better visual on the screens may worth the upgrade. I'd like to get more opinions.
I agree with you. For 2k upgrade, I also may not use all these:
I like my MX's lane keeping/warning and auto cruise control. I enable automatic lane changing only in long distance highway driving. I don't use parking assistance. Summon is useless to my experience. I think now occasional use of the FSD and the better visual on the screens may worth the upgrade. I'd like to get more opinions.

any thoughts why we need to do?