Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard AutoPilot needs to switch lanes

Do you think they will add this back into the standard AP?

• Yes

Votes: 69 31.8%
  • No

Votes: 132 60.8%
  • Don’t care

Votes: 16 7.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I definitely hear you. As he was telling me all this I can just went along with him. Having an email from them definitely helps but I think at best you'll get a "We're sorry but the advisor incorrectly gave you this information" type of response. At least from reading on this forum, I haven't read anyone mention getting added features based on incorrect information they were given. Maybe they can give you some sort of service credit or even super charging credit.
*cue me on hands and knees begging for a free keyfob.

• Funny
Reactions: BOBEDIGITL
I just picked up my 3 yesterday, standard range+ w/standard autopilot. It changes lanes with blinker, and has summon. Maybe I'm misreading OP's complaint, otherwise maybe check again? Hope it works out!

Are you running a trial, by chance?

But yes, another vote here for adding lane change to standard autopilot. Really annoying to have to disengage and re-engage after a lane change. I don't need it to do auto lane changes without my suggestion or input, just let me do it with the blinker lever.

Reactions: dhrivnak
There is way too much incentive to upgrade when you don't have lane change. Lane change completely changes the experience why would they give that away for free. I'm sure they will find the right price point and make it available as an add on.

Reactions: LuPapa
I picked up my Model 3 this passed Saturday and it came with the standard AP. Unfortunately it is missing one feature that should not be a part of FSD and that is the ability to switch lanes when I put on my turn signal.
Tesla decides what an option will include or not include. There is no logical basis for stating that the current Auto Pilot option should include Auto Lane Change and Summon. It’s up to Tesla. Every auto manufacturer makes their own decisions about what a specific option includes or does not include.

Your position seems to be that Auto Pilot should include those two features, but you offer no rationale for your position.

Tesla can't afford two bad quarters in a row, no matter the reason. In June, as the next financial quarter is ending, and they need to get the dollar amounts up, if they offer base AP cars the ability to re-add turn signal lane changes for $250 or so, I'd pay that. I don't care about the Summon or Autopark, don't need those. But the whole disengage/change lanes/re-engage is annoying.

A la carte autopilot options for everyone! Design your own!

Tesla decides what an option will include or not include. There is no logical basis for stating that the current Auto Pilot option should include Auto Lane Change and Summon. It’s up to Tesla. Every auto manufacturer makes their own decisions about what a specific option includes or does not include.

Your position seems to be that Auto Pilot should include those two features, but you offer no rationale for your position.

I did. The fact that even the most basic AP ever offered included that feature. Standard with the car doesn’t not equal free, ,just means I paid for my AP feature in the total price of the vehicle.

The other point is the fact that it is unsafe. Someone will forget to turn auto steer back on after a lane change and crash their car. There is no real reason lane change on turn signal can't be at the very least a Stand alone add on ($500?). I don’t want FSD and I never plan on putting my car on this magical network of robotaxis, I barely want passengers I know in the thing. Why would I spend $5,000 to get one small thing? They are leaving money on the table by not offering a la carte options like this that are software enabled. There should be a menu right in the screen where I can check off some boxes of things if like to add and bam, more $ for Tesla.

Reactions: pwykes and smythey
We are with lots of users on this forum, why we don't make an official petition to Tesla to put this as standard.

I just traded my 2016 Model S for model 3 and I am completely disappointed that basic AP can't change lines like my model S used to.

This is both dangerous and annoying. About 80% of my driving is on the highway so lane changing without disengaging autopilot is a basic feature in my opinion.

Yes this is VERY annoying and I thought that was part of the package as it WAS part of the trial. Or PLEASE meet us half way by disabling lane assist and the tone if one puts on the blinker. The tone and slight jerk make lane assist almost useless.

I called in to the Ride The Lightning podcast about this very thing several months ago, and Ryan agreed — the lack of lane change in basic AP is a problem.

I get that they need to hold something back to get people to upgrade to FSD, but lane changes are the most dangerous part of driving, and that’s the problem AP is supposed to fix. Here’s where it makes sense to me to draw the line — basic AP should be able to make lane changes initiated by the driver by pulling the stalk, and FSD should be able to make automatic lane changes without driver intervention.

We are with lots of users on this forum, why we don't make an official petition to Tesla to put this as standard.

It was- back when the basic package was EAP.

And tons of folks complained it was too expensive and they just wanted a lower price for basic TACC/autosteer.

So Tesla gave people what they wanted, and moved everything else to FSD.

Now other folks are complaining the other direction.

Can't make everybody happy.

The biggest problem I have with paying almost $10,000 cdn for FSD is that there are so many features that just aren’t always available. NoAP? Maybe, if you’re on the right highway. Smart Summon? Not in BC, and only in certain parking lots. Snow? Won’t even engage eliminating 5-6 months of use in the year.

I’d gladly take auto lane change and basic summon if I could buy them as individual add ons.

Last edited: