Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Control Suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^ I wonder if that would be a safety issue, since in an emergency you could not accelerate above the limit.

From experience, it would be. A few weeks ago I had a truck try to pass another car while I was passing him. I credit the Roadster's incredible acceleration with saving me from a nasty accident. I was right behind the cab and I'm pretty sure slamming the brakes wouldn't have done it.

My Mercedes (12 years ago) had a limiter which could be activated like the cruise control. I could then push the accelerator to the floor, but it would not go faster than the limit. I uses it a lot and liked it. In fact I kept the foot down and chose my speed by changing the setting in the limiter.

In a car that is mostly software I'm sure someone will provide an app to take care of features like this, if enough people like it.

I would be surprised if Tesla allowed an app to control the speed of the car. Wise to sandbox the control sources and simply allow reporting. An app that would alert to an impending or reached (pre-defined) speed limitation is likely more possible, though.

^ I wonder if that would be a safety issue, since in an emergency you could not accelerate above the limit.

I don't think the car company would be to blame if the driver had set that feature. Like blaming the car company for not outing on new brake pads and tires when needed.

Don't want bonk but options are good. Normally off and must be set each time the car is started.