Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone has Bitcoin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you go to the "Investor" section, there is a thread on "Other Tech Investments" (similar such name), and there were a lot of posts regarding Bitcoins 12-18 months ago.

My girlfriend expressed interest in buying some bitcoins, and I want to get her some for her birthday, but I've heard its a complicated process. Wondering if anyone could simplify it for me, or explain if its possible to buy them as a gift or if the person whom they are going to must buy them directly. Thanks

I'm interested to try mining as a hobby. I just bought very small amount of bitcoins out of curiosity from Coinbase. It was rather easy, I used 3D secure (Verified by Visa) Visa and had to send a copy of my drivers licence.

I'm planning to buy Antminer S5. Of course it is not competitive (would need Antminer S7), but I want to test with cheaper equipment. My electricity is approximately 8 euro cents/kWh. I can use waste heat to warm my house approximately 7 months in a year. For summer I move the equipment outside.

Last edited:
I'm interested to try mining as a hobby. I just bought very small amount of bitcoins out of curiosity from Coinbase. It was rather easy, I used 3D secure (Verified by Visa) Visa and had to send a copy of my drivers licence.

I'm planning to buy Antminer S5. Of course it is not competitive (would need Antminer S7), but I want to test with cheaper equipment. My electricity is approximately 8 euro cents/kWh. I can use waste heat to warm my house approximately 7 months in a year. For summer I move the equipment outside.

Getting the older miners like that for heating is great. You can heat your home/office while making money. The only thing that might be an issue is the noise. If you had a way to do an air/water heat exchanger and run the heated water throughout the house, that would eliminate the noise issue. They're going to be about the same efficiency as a heating element grid in a "normal" HVAC setup.

I used to have ~170Mh/s worth of Gridseed Blades and then sold them, recently. They put out quite a bit of heat along with their power supplies. The key is to use high efficiency power supplies so all the waste heat comes from the ASICs. If I had to do what you're doing, I would have one large heatsink wall that all the boards were screwed to, then it would just radiate the heat to the room with no fans. Convection currents are a wonderfully efficient way of moving air ;)