Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some ramblings on the fully automatous level 5 stuff...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed that when you say to people, "This car, when eventually updated, will be able to drive itself without a driver" they just look at you like your an idiot. It's not that they don't understand what you said, it's just that they don't really relate to it. And by that I mean, they just don't form a mental picture of the car driving itself and what that really means.

But when you add a bit more detail and say, "This car, when eventually updated, will be able to drive itself without a driver from Sydney to Queensland, and it can stop itself at superchargers, fill up automatically, and proceed to the next one etc... until it eventually gets to you all because you have summonsed it from your mobile phone app" well then people really do seem to get excited and ask a bit more questions. Usually along the lines of, "Are you serious?" ... you get the gist...

In fact when you put it like that... Even I get a bit suspicious at those claims. I am not really sure that the car will eventually be able to do that... and even if cars can eventually do that... I am not really convinced that the current AP2 Tesla can do it without any significant hardware upgrade - and that is sort of worrying... What do you guys think?

As for the Australian Road Rules - I do hate the fact that we live in a nanny-state - I mean, let's face it - we don't even get internet. Not even summons from the key fob. But I do take some comfort in the fact that there are a lot of Teslas sold in Australia and Australia is not so backwards when it comes to advanced technology - and so our legislators will eventually get on board soon enough when Americans get their pizzas delivered by driverless Model 3s. So the law is not really the problem. I think the wild claims are the problem. Is it gunna work?

Personally I would be happy for just a rolling set of updates that continually increases the ability of the car from level 1 through to level 5 (even if level 5 be well into the future than originally claimed). In fact, even an autopilot that just comforts me as being a bit more safe and responsive will certainly thrill me in the short term. I think I read somewhere that Elon Musk tweeted that in around 2 or 3 months time and counting, the enhanced autopilot will pull-away from the non-enhanced AP2 significantly. I wonder what that means. For my part, I can't wait.

I know that Elon Musk's timetables are notoriously optimistic - but then there were legitimate 3rd party problems that delayed Tesla's timetables previously that were supposedly not really Tesla's fault, eg, the guys they sued over the hydraulic model X doors and had to go instead with someone else's electrical doors. But it was done. I do get the impression though that the Model 3 release looks as if it is particularly on schedule. But then again, the Model 3 is really a step down from the Model S as far as tech goes, isn't it...Big difference between selling a stripped-down version of the Model S in a few weeks in the US as opposed to getting a Model S to drive itself dynamically in real-life scenarios.

Anyway - I want the next big update to come out... The next REALLY BIG update I mean. Cya.

Reactions: Mark Z
Tonight I used 17.17.17 in the Lane Cove Tunnel, Harbour Tunnel and the little ones along that route to the Eastern suburbs. I reckon the car noticeably now pulls away from the side walls towards the outer edge of the lane. Much less scary. And then it occurred to me, there are two things that can be improved in the short term as far as autonomous driving goes:

1. The car should be aware of when the lane next to you is coming to an end and realise that the car next to you has to get in front of you and therefore slow down to allow it. Many a time I have to disengage autopilot by jumping on the brake so that the car next to me does not think I am a complete f-wit wanting to play chicken;

2. On certain known roads, eg harbour bridge/tunnel freeway but also more substantial highways like Pacific Highway etc... auto pilot should be more aware of those roads and disengage the whack-a-mole game it forces you to play with the steering wheel.

So next update please...

Totally agree about autopilot blocking someone needing to lane merge.
I've noticed this particularly in the ED heading south when all those cars merge in from the right.
You have to disengage autopilot, let someone in, then re-engage.
I'm sure in the future (with AP2 hardware), the system will automatically allow someone in.

I want to be able to send the Tesla (driverless) around to my in-laws to pick them up for dinner - and then to drop them home again.

I want to be able to track the car on my iPad.

Is this going to actually happen with the current version of hardware?

I seriously doubt it.

Technically, that's still way off, despite Tesla's 'dazzle' video.

Regulation wise, it's way way way off until most states will allow a completely autonomous car to drive around. Who's responsible if there's an accident? (Yes, I know that Google has a few cars in CA, but they're not exactly generic autonomous cars that can drive anywhere, anytime.).

You know the "who's responsible" bit is not a problem for the legislators. They can force all autonomous cars to be insured, and then the insurer is responsible if the autonomous car broke the road rules in an accident. Simple. Chances are, it was always going to be one insurance company or another that would foot the bill anyway whichever way a court ruled which entity was otherwise legally responsible.

Oh yeah... and I want to be able to fly to the Gold Coast, and on my last night, I want to go to bed comfortable in the knowlege that throughout the night, my Tesla is driving from Sydney, progressing from supercharger to supercharger as it fills itself up automatically, then park outside my resort in the morning...

...ready to pick me up and drive me to the airport... where it will then make its way back home again to Sydney!

Keep wishing. Please bump this thread when that actually happens. Thanks.

edit: Wait, what?? You want your car to drive itself 10 hours along the coast just to pick you up and drive you to the airport, and then drive itself home??? Even if it does it by itself, isn't that a colossal waste of energy over just taking a cab/uber/bus?

I can see my car driving from point a to point b using its navigation with me having my hand on the wheel by the end of 2017.

I don't see the supercharger snaking out to plug into the car - except maybe in a nightmare.

I do enjoy getting the updates and I'm looking forward to "smooth as silk"

Keep wishing. Please bump this thread when that actually happens. Thanks.

edit: Wait, what?? You want your car to drive itself 10 hours along the coast just to pick you up and drive you to the airport, and then drive itself home??? Even if it does it by itself, isn't that a colossal waste of energy over just taking a cab/uber/bus?

Yes that was the joke.

Actually I always thought it was a waste of resources for Commander Data to be assigned his own quarters on the Enterprise. Since he didn't need sleep, I reckon he should have been scrubbing decks at night instead of looking after Spot.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I can see my car driving from point a to point b using its navigation with me having my hand on the wheel by the end of 2017.

I don't see the supercharger snaking out to plug into the car - except maybe in a nightmare.

I do enjoy getting the updates and I'm looking forward to "smooth as silk"

You know I am looking forward to "smooth as silk" too - but you realise of course, that it will probably just be smoother/softer acceleration when a car pulls away from in front of you - and softer/smoother braking when your car is pulling up behind another. Not much in it really :-(

I posted this in another thread.

To start with, L4/L5 will apply only on limited routes and grow over time to apply nearly everywhere. Some roads won't be L5 for a very long time. For this reason, at least initially, the Tesla Network may not take you from Point A to Point B via same route you would drive. As time progresses, more and more roads will be fully mapped and become L4/L5.

The idea that L4/L5 will suddenly switch on and apply everywhere is impossible. Think of it similar to a buildout of mobile phone coverage. Tesla will have a big advantage over everyone assuming the Model 3 ramp up is successful.

Sometimes I question whether the upload speed of the 3G network is fast enough to send to Tesla all the data from all cameras all the time. Do you think there is some selective uploading going on with only some cars on some routes using some cameras only?

Sometimes I question whether the upload speed of the 3G network is fast enough to send to Tesla all the data from all cameras all the time. Do you think there is some selective uploading going on with only some cars on some routes using some cameras only?

Without a doubt selective based on location i.e. anywhere there hasn’t already been mapped & analysed in conjunction with events such as AP disconnects either system or driver induced. Massive bandwidth may not be absolutely necessary for meaningful data uploads. At times, camera footage could be required although my guess is that this would only be for events that are of a very high priority.

Also I was told by a Tesla person that all cars are already 4G capable so potentially even high bandwidth data like video wouldn’t be a problem.

As ShockOnT says, it wouldn’t be real-time, at least not always broadcasting.

My X and S (in Perth) both send between 150 and 250MB of data to Tesla every day via my home wifi so they are definitely getting loads of mapping data.
That's very interesting, but a bit surprising.
I've seen many threads of people tracking their network to judge the size of software updates, but no one has every mentioned much of an upload.