Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solution for NEMA 14-30 Dryer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

Apologies for the handful of threads, I am hoping someone can verify I bought the correct 2 products. My dryer is plugged into a NEMA 14-30, see attached pic.

To get power out to my car, I purchased this extension cord. (I know some of you will suggest that I properly install something in the garage but I’ve been quoted between $3k-$4k, and I’m renting, so it doesn’t make financial sense)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072...dpPl=1&dpID=41K4GzNUCUL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

With it, I will buy the official NEMA 14-30 adapter from Tesla

Model S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Does this setup work? I just want to make sure that I’m not overlooking anything. Thank you for your time and help!

Attachments

• 21903017-A3D6-4382-828B-3B217DCDFFC4.jpeg
    21903017-A3D6-4382-828B-3B217DCDFFC4.jpeg
    346.4 KB · Views: 493
Yes, this should work find. It’s actually a lot better to go the route you’re going and getting everything as 14-30 parts so the car automatically selects the correct 24 amp setting. If you had purchased a 14-30 plug to 14-50 extension cord and used the 14-50 plug on the mobile connector like some do, you’d need to constantly be concerned about making sure it never switched to a higher current. The way you went, that’s never a concern.

The only thing you may want to add, possibly in the future, is something like the Dryer Buddy Products. Plug it in to your outlet, then your dryer and Tesla into it. This keeps you from constantly having to plug and unplug devices (some cheaper outlets for dryers don’t handle frequent plug changes because they aren’t designed for that). It also forces you to only power one device (dryer or Tesla) at a time. Slick device, but not necessary if you’re fine with swapping plugs at times and check the temp of your plugs every month or two when you’re 45 minutes into a charging or drying session to feel for excess heat in the plug that could be caused by excessive wear in the outlet. It’s actually a good idea to check how warm plugs are on any high-current devices over time.

That's the cord I ordered, though I selected the 25' one. It should be delivered today. My 14-30 adapter from Tesla arrived last month on the 18th.

For my setup I don't need the Dryer Buddy, my 14-30's unused due to having a gas dryer which plugs into a typical household 5-15 outlet. I plan to leave the extension cord plugged in all the time, and hang it up on the wall in my laundry room when not in use.

Yes this is the best solution for your rental issue. I would limit it's use, and as noted above you may still consider the Dryer buddy.

Monitor the heat at the wall plug if the outlet is loosening up it will start getting warm, you will probably need to replace the wall plug. Outlets are made in three grades. Commercial, specification grade and Hospital grade. they actually only test how hard (foot pounds) it is to pull the plug out of the wall. I have no idea what you have there. Spec or Commercial.

Keep the 50A cord for your road trips.

I matched a 208V cord to to my 16A Chevy Volt charger then made a series of adapter cords to allow me to plug in to various plugs if needed. I never really ever used them. In my case I always had a lighter load than the outlet I was plugging into.

Now with the M3 we have to be more careful not to overload the power outlet. The Tesla adapters will do nice limiting the current flow, but will have to have 30a and 50a cords now.

Tesla has really done some smart things with this UMC and there wall chargers. We all will benefit from there creations.

Reactions: lupend88
Hi everyone,

Apologies for the handful of threads, I am hoping someone can verify I bought the correct 2 products. My dryer is plugged into a NEMA 14-30, see attached pic.

To get power out to my car, I purchased this extension cord. (I know some of you will suggest that I properly install something in the garage but I’ve been quoted between $3k-$4k, and I’m renting, so it doesn’t make financial sense)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072R6WQV8/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1525411978&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=14-30+extension+cord&dpPl=1&dpID=41K4GzNUCUL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

With it, I will buy the official NEMA 14-30 adapter from Tesla

Model S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Does this setup work? I just want to make sure that I’m not overlooking anything. Thank you for your time and help!
That’s what I have. This has worked so well so far that I don’t even use 110volt charging at all.

My tips:
- use your Nema 14-30 solely for charging your car
- minimize the amount of plugging/unplugging as the plugs are not designed for that (unlike a standard outlet)

I personally switch the breaker off whenever I am not using the outlet. I want the piece of mind with my dog.