Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solution for easy and convenient maintenance of tire pressures at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For artsci, madartist, or anyone else who has one of the Sears inflators...

I bought one too. (See my posts upthread.)

The first one came some time ago, before I had my Model S, and when I tested it I found that while it worked well, the pressure readings it gave when just giving readings were about 1.2 to 1.3 PSI lower than the readings it would give when set to inflate to a set pressure. So, for example, if set to inflate to 45 PSI, it would slowly read up to 45 PSI, then shut off when it reached 45 PSI, and then immediately show 43.7 PSI or 43.8 PSI. I called sears to confirm that I wasn't doing anything wrong. They said I wasn't, and that I must have a defective product, and that I should send it back, and get another one. It has taken quite a while for Sears to get me a replacement, and I just tested the replacement a few minutes ago. It turns out the replacement behaves the exact same way!

So what I am wondering is how do yours behave?

In the original post, you stated, artsci, that you compared the inflated PSI to the reading you received with your FOBO, but you never said that you compared your inflated reading with a reading from the inflator itself. I'm wondering if I should try to get a third unit, or if they are all going to do the same thing. I can live with this if I know one of the two numbers is accurate. I just ordered another digital tire pressure gauge, in an attempt to be able to tell which, if either, number is accurate. I bought this: Amazon.com: TEKTON 5941 Digital Tire Gauge, 100 PSI: Home Improvement

If someone who has this Sears inflator could tell me if yours shuts off at a given pressure, and then immediately gives that same pressure as the reading, that would be very helpful to me. If several of you say yours work that way, I guess I'll be sending this one back too, in hopes of getting one that works properly, the way yours work.

Thanks!

Andyw2100,

My Sears Craftsman inflator works exactly the same way as your. Yes, it will cut off at the set psi, then immediately drift down about 1-1.5 psi. I don't think it's a manufacturing defect. I think the pressure simply registers higher while the pump is adding more air into the tire. Frankly, I usually use a separate tire gauge to check the tire pressure before and after inflation anyway. I know it's an extra step, but I feel better about its accuracy.

As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, their new 20V version pumps faster. Unfortunately, it only has an analog gauge. However, since I'm used to using a separate digital tire gauge anyway, the faster pumping speed and the increased battery capacity is a welcomed improvement.

For artsci, madartist, or anyone else who has one of the Sears inflators...

I bought one too. (See my posts upthread.)

The first one came some time ago, before I had my Model S, and when I tested it I found that while it worked well, the pressure readings it gave when just giving readings were about 1.2 to 1.3 PSI lower than the readings it would give when set to inflate to a set pressure. So, for example, if set to inflate to 45 PSI, it would slowly read up to 45 PSI, then shut off when it reached 45 PSI, and then immediately show 43.7 PSI or 43.8 PSI. I called sears to confirm that I wasn't doing anything wrong. They said I wasn't, and that I must have a defective product, and that I should send it back, and get another one. It has taken quite a while for Sears to get me a replacement, and I just tested the replacement a few minutes ago. It turns out the replacement behaves the exact same way!

So what I am wondering is how do yours behave?

In the original post, you stated, artsci, that you compared the inflated PSI to the reading you received with your FOBO, but you never said that you compared your inflated reading with a reading from the inflator itself. I'm wondering if I should try to get a third unit, or if they are all going to do the same thing. I can live with this if I know one of the two numbers is accurate. I just ordered another digital tire pressure gauge, in an attempt to be able to tell which, if either, number is accurate. I bought this: Amazon.com: TEKTON 5941 Digital Tire Gauge, 100 PSI: Home Improvement

If someone who has this Sears inflator could tell me if yours shuts off at a given pressure, and then immediately gives that same pressure as the reading, that would be very helpful to me. If several of you say yours work that way, I guess I'll be sending this one back too, in hopes of getting one that works properly, the way yours work.

Thanks!

My experience was essentially the same and somewhat frustrating, especially as I'm a real stickler for maintaining accurate tire pressure. The digital readout on the Sears device was always several pounds low and it seemed I could never get the pressure over about 43 psi.

So I found another solution that's less convenient but much more accurate. I acquired a portable 150 PSI Porter Cable air compressor with a 6 gallon air tank, attached a KTI (KTI-89001) Digital Tire Inflator, replaced its hose with a coiled hose, and added Coilhose Pneumatics CH15A Open Lock-On Chuck, 1/4-Inch FPT.

When the air chuck is snapped onto the tire valve the gauge on the KTI give an instantaneous and accurate reading of the actual pressure. One then just pulls the handle on the KTI to add air until the reading on the gauge is where you want it to be. It's accurate within .1 psi and now my FOBO readings exactly match what I see on the KTI.

The only problem with this solution is that I have to lug the compressor to the car. But I still keep the Sears device in the car for emergency situations.

Andyw2100,

My Sears Craftsman inflator works exactly the same way as your. Yes, it will cut off at the set psi, then immediately drift down about 1-1.5 psi. I don't think it's a manufacturing defect. I think the pressure simply registers higher while the pump is adding more air into the tire. Frankly, I usually use a separate tire gauge to check the tire pressure before and after inflation anyway. I know it's an extra step, but I feel better about its accuracy.

As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, their new 20V version pumps faster. Unfortunately, it only has an analog gauge. However, since I'm used to using a separate digital tire gauge anyway, the faster pumping speed and the increased battery capacity is a welcomed improvement.

Mine does the same thing. Good to hear I'm not alone.

Andyw2100,

My Sears Craftsman inflator works exactly the same way as your. Yes, it will cut off at the set psi, then immediately drift down about 1-1.5 psi. I don't think it's a manufacturing defect. I think the pressure simply registers higher while the pump is adding more air into the tire.

My experience was essentially the same and somewhat frustrating, especially as I'm a real stickler for maintaining accurate tire pressure. The digital readout on the Sears device was always several pounds low and it seemed I could never get the pressure over about 43 psi.

Mine does the same thing. Good to hear I'm not alone.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I guess I'll keep it.

I just wish I knew this was the correct operation before, as I would have kept the first one and saved myself some hassle. Oh well.

By the way, since my other tire pressure gauge won't arrive for a couple of days, which pressure have you guys found to be correct--the one that the inflator cuts off at or the one that it reads after inflating? Thanks.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I guess I'll keep it.

I just wish I knew this was the correct operation before, as I would have kept the first one and saved myself some hassle. Oh well.

By the way, since my other tire pressure gauge won't arrive for a couple of days, which pressure have you guys found to be correct--the one that the inflator cuts off at or the one that it reads after inflating? Thanks.

For me, it's the equalized pressure once the pumping stops. Therefore, I tend to set the stop pressure above the target pressure, then I bleed to valve with the separate tire gauge until the desired pressure is reached. It's not nearly as elegant as artsci's method above but I think it works well enough.

For me, it's the equalized pressure once the pumping stops. Therefore, I tend to set the stop pressure above the target pressure, then I bleed to valve with the separate tire gauge until the desired pressure is reached. It's not nearly as elegant as artsci's method above but I think it works well enough.

Thanks. I think I understand, but I'm not sure what you mean by "bleed to valve", and also what you mean about the desired pressue being reached, since presumably you would have known the pressure based on where it stopped.

It sounds like you are saying the point where the inflator stops and then takes the reading is the actual pressure, so in my case if I had the inflator set to 45, and it then read 43.7, the real PSI would probably be very close to 43.7. Assuming that is the case, it also sounds like you adjust the set pressure up, to arrive at the correct PSI, so I would just adjust 45 to 46.3, which would then get me to the desired 45 when the inflator stops. I'm confused about the other stuff involved, so if you're inclined to take a minute or two to clear that up for me, it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Forgive a noob question. I really like the idea of being able to check and fix tire pressure before getting on the road (bike or car). How would the Sears solution compare to this? Browsed compressors, looked for something that would use my Dewald drill battery, and this is what I found.

Amazon.com: Black Decker ASI300 Air Station 12-Volt or 120-Volt Inflator: Automotive

That should work fine but the accuracy may a bit off. If you can live with 1 or 2psi variation I'd go with it.

- - - Updated - - -

If you get a "real" air compressor, you can use it for a lot more than just tire inflation--and they don't cost that much more. For the gauge, I use a Longacre 50406

For sure, things like painting with an airbrush, blowing water off gaps in the car after it's washed, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

That;s what I'd do when I used air pumps at gas stations which don't reliable gauges. I'd pump up the tire to 1-2 psi over my goal then using the bleed valve on my gauge bleed it back to the desired goal.

Thanks. I think I understand, but I'm not sure what you mean by "bleed to valve", and also what you mean about the desired pressue being reached, since presumably you would have known the pressure based on where it stopped.

It sounds like you are saying the point where the inflator stops and then takes the reading is the actual pressure, so in my case if I had the inflator set to 45, and it then read 43.7, the real PSI would probably be very close to 43.7. Assuming that is the case, it also sounds like you adjust the set pressure up, to arrive at the correct PSI, so I would just adjust 45 to 46.3, which would then get me to the desired 45 when the inflator stops. I'm confused about the other stuff involved, so if you're inclined to take a minute or two to clear that up for me, it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Oops! Sorry about the typo. I meant "bleed the valve," not "bleed to valve." I basically pump the tire above the desired pressure using the air pump, then use the a separate (more accurate) tire gauge to slowly let the air out until I reached the desired pressure.

Was Just at my local Sears Hardware store.
They were having a "Post Blizzard" sale....
1/2" Impact Wrench Kit (with charger and extra capacity Lion Battery)
Portable hand held rechargeable air compressor (tool only, however it uses the same battery as the 1/2" Impact Wrench Kit)
Out the door with both at a handsome discount.

Already have a large air compressor with tools but these rechargeable handhelds are just so darned convenient to use.
I annually swap summer tires and wheels to snow tires and wheels on three vehicles (Fall and Spring), the new tools will come in handy for sure.

Just wish I could click my heels and all the tires and rims and hydraulic jacks would roll from the barn to the job site and back on their own....:cursing:

Last edited:
If its easy to lift, then it sucks. If it weighs 60 lb or more put it near your charger and pump up to 47 lb pressure before you drive off. Then after 3 weeks they'll be down to 44 lb and time to pump back up. The dinky ones take too long.
--