Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarEdge L2 EV Charger - wont charge at 40A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i have had my MYLR for a month or so now. i installed the L2 EV charger and since i have had it, it would charge at 40A. Recently my Solar installer was troubleshooting something with our Battery backup and now when i try to charge the most i get is 20A. The tesla app says charging at 48A but when the EV charger kicks in it drops to 20A. Anyone here have experience with SolarEdge EV chargers and or have experienced this issue? There is not change this could be a faulty connection correct? i have received a few alerts from the Tesla app stating "charge cable not fully secured". i have removed and reconnected and even replaced the universal adapter but still only get as high as 20A.

It shows 20/20A 242v. Just a few days ago it would be 40/40A

Attachments

• A80AE71E-3926-4DA1-B640-F2A04FD5B436.jpeg
    A80AE71E-3926-4DA1-B640-F2A04FD5B436.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 123
As the next step, eliminate the Tesla Model Y's on-board charger as the source of the problem. If you have a Tesla Mobile Connector and a 14-50 plug adapter you can use the Mobile Connector with 14-50 to test charging; should charge at 32 amps. Alternately, try charging your Model Y at another location, perhaps work or a public Level 2 charging station. Most Public Level 2 charging stations are 200V to 208V and 30 amps, a 6kW charging rate.

As the next step, eliminate the Tesla Model Y's on-board charger as the source of the problem. If you have a Tesla Mobile Connector and a 14-50 plug adapter you can use the Mobile Connector with 14-50 to test charging; should charge at 32 amps. Alternately, try charging your Model Y at another location, perhaps work or a public Level 2 charging station. Most Public Level 2 charging stations are 200V to 208V and 30 amps, a 6kW charging rate.
thank you. I will try charging at our mall which has a few L2 chargers.

It sounds like the configuration on your SolarEdge EVSE may have gotten changed down to 20A.
I think so as well cause our installer was working on two issues on Tuesday. 1 was our EV charger communication disconnecting at random times and the other was fixing a Battery backup access issue on the app. Yesterday they fixed the battery access but then I noticed the EV issue.

Well what ever it was they must have fixed it. I am now back to charging at 40/40A 241v. Thx so much for input and advice.
I am re-opening this issue as the problem did not go away but its just random. i thought it was fixed since i saw a full week without issues but the issue is sporadic at best. Does anyone here have a SolarEdge charger? I am being told by SolarEdge support that this must be the vehicle that is choosing to charge at 20A instead of 40A.

I am re-opening this issue as the problem did not go away but its just random. i thought it was fixed since i saw a full week without issues but the issue is sporadic at best. Does anyone here have a SolarEdge charger? I am being told by SolarEdge support that this must be the vehicle that is choosing to charge at 20A instead of 40A.
If it's saying 20/20a, then it's not the car. If it were the car it would be 20/40a. Is the SolarEdge EVSE is supposed to be able to adjust the charging rate to match solar production? If so, a misconfiguration doesn't sound farfetched at all.

Reactions: Rocky_H
If it's saying 20/20a, then it's not the car. If it were the car it would be 20/40a. Is the SolarEdge EVSE is supposed to be able to adjust the charging rate to match solar production? If so, a misconfiguration doesn't sound farfetched at all.
Solaredge support is giving the installer a hard time and stating its the car. I have provided them plenty of information and screenshots showing that either the inverter or the EV charger is controlling this. i just cant seem to see any pattern. Sometimes i want to say its a schedule somewhere but its so random that i dont even see that. We have even noticed a few times that i will charge at 40/40A and one hour later it changes down to 20/20A. The voltage does stay the same around 235v-241v. This only started when they fixed an issue i was having with my battery backup, so i am trying to see if my installer can revert back to see if that fixes the issue but he is waiting for his escalation to be completed i guess.

what is your connection communication type? Cell card, wifi, or ethernet cable? I had tons of problems and they've basically went away after I switched from cell card to hardwired internet. I've got battery and solar panels. SolarEdge software is still a work in progress. The EV charger sounds intriguing, but I'm reluctant to add another solar edge device to my system. I see the bidirectional charger is out, and I'd love for Tesla to go bidirectional, but that is something for the future.